Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's really needed for a course?

• 17-05-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm Just finishing transition year in a few days, finalizing my subject choice now, as of now I would be looking to do "BSC (HONS) IN PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCE" in the W.I.T as it's close to where I live. I was planning on doing biology and chemistry but was told by an SNA (special needs assistant) who was supervising one of my free classes today that you need a second language to do any level 8 course, in any college. I was and am sure it only asks for:

Leaving Cert
    2 subjects: HC3 or better
    4 subjects: OD3 or better

Required Subjects
    English/Irish: OC3/HD3
    Mathematics: OD3/HD3

On the W.I.T website, but she seemed fairly certain that I was wrong, can anyone confirm to me that I won't need to do French, German, Spanish or a subject like that or direct me to someones email who can answer questions like these in the W.I.T where I could mail this question to them myself.

I'm not sure about the actual course I want to do yet but just used that one as an example, with that said it seems the majority of level 8 science courses have the same requirements.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I thought it was only the NUI colleges that required a second language + Irish. Trinity allowed you to count Irish. I didn't think the ITs required it outside of language courses.

I suspect the SNA doesn't know what they're talking about. But yes, do contact WIT to be absolutely sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

That SNA is talking out of their *cough*. Ignore him/her.
    Even in the colleges when where you need a 2nd language + Irish, that requirement often isn't in place for Science degrees eg: UCD.
    In short, don't need German/French/Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

Glad that's sorted, that'd mean id have to drop another science subject otherwise, I already couldn't do physics because not enough people to make a class, having to drop another would be fair annoying.

That SNA is talking out of their *cough*. Ignore him/her.
    Even in the colleges when where you need a 2nd language + Irish, that requirement often isn't in place for Science degrees eg: UCD.
    In short, don't need German/French/Spanish.

That's fairly new? I would have sworn you needed German or whatever back when I was looking at courses up there, late 90s.

nesf wrote: »
    That's fairly new? I would have sworn you needed German or whatever back when I was looking at courses up there, late 90s.

I dunno how long it's been around, but yeah, it's definitely true for Science & Engineering anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Does your school have a careers guidance counsellor? Because, that's who you need to speak to, not the SNA. And you need to talk to them quickly!*
    I'm Just finishing transition year in a few days, finalizing my subject choice now, as of now I would be looking to do "BSC (HONS) IN PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCE" in the W.I.T as it's close to where I live. I was planning on doing biology and chemistry but was told by an SNA (special needs assistant) who was supervising one of my free classes today that you need a second language to do any level 8 course, in any college. I was and am sure it only asks for:

Leaving Cert
    2 subjects: HC3 or better
    4 subjects: OD3 or better

Required Subjects
    English/Irish: OC3/HD3
    Mathematics: OD3/HD3

On the W.I.T website, but she seemed fairly certain that I was wrong, can anyone confirm to me that I won't need to do French, German, Spanish or a subject like that or direct me to someones email who can answer questions like these in the W.I.T where I could mail this question to them myself.

I'm not sure about the actual course I want to do yet but just used that one as an example, with that said it seems the majority of level 8 science courses have the same requirements.

Thanks

*IDon'tMeanThatYouNeedToTalkToThemQuicklyIMeanThatYouNeedToTalkToThemSoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

I diffidently will speak to the guidance counselor next time I'm in school and let ye know what he says, thought more people would know but it seems it's different around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I diffidently will speak to the guidance counselor next time I'm in school and let ye know what he says, thought more people would know but it seems it's different around the country.

Or you could speak to them confidently if you feel up to it! :D

I dunno how long it's been around, but yeah, it's definitely true for Science & Engineering anyway.

It makes perfect sense, I needed Irish and German to get into Physics in UCC which was amusing.

ITs offering L8 courses in the Science subjects is fairly new, it was done a little 10 years ago but is done on a far broader scale now across many of them. The SNA may have been thinking of the old days where doing a theoretical science course meant going to a University but even then you never needed Irish + Other to get into Trinity so they'd still be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

It makes perfect sense, I needed Irish and German to get into Physics in UCC which was amusing

because they were trying to attract well rounded people who at least had some knowledge of subjects other science based subjects.

Its amazing what you can learn and/or help with your field of interest by studying/talking to those involved in other disciplines.

amen wrote: »
    because they were trying to attract well rounded people who at least had some knowledge of subjects other science based subjects..

English and Irish/other language are already compulsory. :P

amen wrote: »
    because they were trying to attract well rounded people who at least had some knowledge of subjects other science based subjects.

Its amazing what you can learn and/or help with your field of interest by studying/talking to those involved in other disciplines.

I'd be more interested in the hobbies of a person coming into a science course than whether they had to study a foreign language with respect to someone's well roundedness. Holistically speaking yes it's very preferable to get well rounded people, that does not equate to them having done French/German/Spanish/whatever specifically.

Advertisement