Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows (alu-clad)

Options
  • 17-05-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

We have been pricing AluClad windows for the past 8 weeks for a new build and one thing is worrying us. Having received about 5 qoutes, we have seen that Nordan, Carlson, Ambiwood seem to be twice the price off the EcoClad offered by Munster Joinery. We have had all the above tell us that Munster Joinery is'nt in the same league as there windows but all seem to be certified as Passive House suitable. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me why this is.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

We have been pricing AluClad windows for the past 8 weeks for a new build and one thing is worrying us. Having received about 5 qoutes, we have seen that Nordan, Carlson, Ambiwood seem to be twice the price off the EcoClad offered by Munster Joinery. We have had all the above tell us that Munster Joinery is'nt in the same league as there windows but all seem to be certified as Passive House suitable. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me why this is.

Mj are the biggest, they can cut costs with volume. being a big company my experience of them is they don't entertain non-standard sizes or details and the frames can be huge, technical seevice on domestic jobs is non-existant and you must hold out and insist on shop drawings prior to order on site. Note The passive standard doesn't guarantee lifespan...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Curious Geroge

I am very much in a similar position and have received similar variations in the quotes to date. Some of the vendors have been very good in providing detailed quotes, draft window drawings, calculated U-values and keen on providing a service. Other's however, well namely one, provided a two line quote after I was concisely chasing them and then when requesting for, “details” of their proposal I was duly sent the Passive house cert for their product and nothing else.

I would say choose wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 citywide

Tifosi wrote: »
    Curious Geroge

I am very much in a similar position and have received similar variations in the quotes to date. Some of the vendors have been very good in providing detailed quotes, draft window drawings, calculated U-values and keen on providing a service. Other's however, well namely one, provided a two line quote after I was concisely chasing them and then when requesting for, “details” of their proposal I was duly sent the Passive house cert for their product and nothing else.

I would say choose wisely.

Hi George did you purchase the alu clad windows ? If so can you send me the details of who you went with & what were they like to deal with also there contact details

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kitecrazy

Hi,

Could you PM me the details also?

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Costed <snip> against the supplier mentioned in this blog

<snip>

They came in 10% more expensive but having visited both <snip> showroom there is a world of difference in quality.

following discussions with other mods the following has been reinstated

Munster quote was 33k vs quote from truewindows.ie was 35k.

Discussions and debates will be allowed in relation to the pricing/cost elements only but there shall be no discussion regarding the actual products or services.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

citywide wrote: »
    Hi George did you purchase the alu clad windows ? If so can you send me the details of who you went with & what were they like to deal with also there contact details

Regards

Kitecrazy wrote: »
    Hi,

Could you PM me the details also?

Thanks,

John
    John/ citywide & anyone else - you know that YOU can PM asking for info ;) it'd make for a much better thread!

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I know this is a fairly broad question but how much more is aluclad than PVC. If PVC were costing 15000 for a house then would aluclad be 20 or 25 or??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

john_cappa wrote: »
    I know this is a fairly broad question but how much more is aluclad than PVC. If PVC were costing 15000 for a house then would aluclad be 20 or 25 or??
    From my own experience that's a little on the low side, closer to 28 to 34 range and you'd find plenty in the 40 range also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Telgere wrote: »
    Costed <snip> against the supplier mentioned in this blog

<snip>

They came in 10% more expensive but having visited both <snip> showroom there is a world of difference in quality.

following discussions with other mods the following has been reinstated

Munster quote was 33k vs quote from truewindows.ie was 35k.

Discussions and debates will be allowed in relation to the pricing/cost elements only but there shall be no discussion regarding the actual products or services.

Off the 2 mentioned above, there is a huge quality difference and I've visited multiple of each supplier. braftery is a boards member and will be able to help re true windows. Top quality stuff but slightly over our budget and disappointed we could'nt get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

People forget to ask are the windows/timber protected for plastering.

Swung it for me to drop Carlson . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement