Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Streaming to TV questions!

• 17-05-2013 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I have an older LCD TV that I quite like and would like to stick to. I use a laptop to get my movies/TV shows etc. I would like to watch them on my TV, at the moment I am plugging the laptop into the TV with VGA cables and jack to jack cables, I have used Serviio to try and stream from the laptop to the Xbox and watch stuff but not every format is supported so it can be a pain in the arse.
    The only other option I can think of is to build a small computer and have it hooked up to the TV 24/7 to use it as a media centre of sorts. Is there something out there that can take the files from my laptop wirelessly and play them on the TV?
    I know media over wireless can be a bit tricky sometimes, would I be better off going with a hardwired media centre and using the laptop as a "remote control" for lack of a better term?

Comments

Does your TV have HDMI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a MK808 Mini PC, and turn it into a Smart TV. More info here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056939401 and ask questions about which is the best one, etc. You're looking at around €60 for the Mini PC (which is about the size of a large USB key), and the wireless keyboard.

It plugs straight into the HDMI, and can stream stuff off the internet, and your LAN network (ie; from the laptop), and also play stuff off a harddrive. It has wireless built in.

So the 808 can connect to my laptop on the same network and get content from there?

bombidol wrote: »
    So the 808 can connect to my laptop on the same network and get content from there?
    It should be able to. I have a NeoG4, so I don't know for certain if the 808 can or not, but ask on the thread, and the 808 owners will let you know. I've been able to connect to a networked PC with my NeoG4, so I don't see why not.

• Advertisement

I would take the laptop out of the equation and just build a simple HTPC that can download, store and play stuff all in one box.

You could build something relatively cheap (~€150)and run OpenElec on it (free media centre OS) on it. It can run Sickbeard, Sab, transmission, couchpotato etc. You can control all those from your laptop via web interface.

So I got a HDMI android dongle today and its working well. I have Serviio installed on my laptop and the android dongle picked it up and can stream the video. however sometimes it stutters and lags the audio. any ideas?

What video player are you using?

whatever one is installed emediaplayer or something its called? Whats a good one to use?

bombidol wrote: »
    whatever one is installed emediaplayer or something its called? Whats a good one to use?
    This;
    Allyall wrote: »
    and download Wondershare Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How about a cheap as chips 12GB PS3 for £150. Will do what you want and more.

Advertisement