Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After a Media Player

Options
  • 17-05-2013 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys,

Anyone recommend one of these?

I know about the WD Live but what else is there? With a HDD combined?

Or is the WD the way to go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

hi
    i advise you to be careful.
    some players doe't do local streaming and others do it badly.
    1. Roku LT - this box will stream the likes of netflix, spotify, youtube etc
    the Roku LT WILL NOT stream locally stored media AVI files, MP3s, JPG's
    a total waste of money - you need to register a paypal account online just to setup this player - a con job.

2. The WDTV Play - This looked promising except that it would not play content stored on my NAS because my NAS is not DLNA compliant. the workaround was to install DLNA server software on a PC on my network. then to add content to the server. this worked no problem EXCEPT FOR 1 BIG PROBLEM.
    When playing a movie, the connection is lost after 28 minutes and you need to reconfigure the wired or wireless connection. you can then resume the program from the 28 minute mark but it will lose the connection again at 56 minutes and again at 84 minutes...a total disaster.
    i tested the WDTV play with :

1. Windows media player DLNA server
    2. DIVX+ DLNA Media server
    3. PLEX DLNA Media server

same symptom with all servers
    but my PS3 can connect to the servers and play the content no problem
    therefore problem is MOST DEFINITELY the WDTV play

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Billy Sollox

Thanks Lanos. First post in 4 years? Here's something you could look at for dlna issues. I've obviously never tried it.

Very limited "Broadband" where I am so not worried about streaming, as I can't. Mostly just want to play local files, big range of players on Amazon here. This one, cheap and cheerful reads like it'll play anything but first review says it won't, hate reviews, don't know why I still read them.

Or maybe I should go for sumvision, cyclone or seagate one. Anyone have any of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

its a shame really
    the WDTV UI is quite good
    you can navigate the folder structure rather than just list the titles.
    this is useful if your folder names are more descriptive than the media filenames. however this bug is absolutely unforgivable and there are plenty of reports of it online but no admission or indication anywhere of a fix or firmware update.
    i
    i have tested this extensively
    then only way to play a movie from start-to-finish is via USB
    this is hopeless
    i have USB ports on my TV so why would i need a media player to play USB content. i bought this player for Network connectivity on a non-smart TV.........It will NOT work PROPERLY via WiFi or Ethernet
    IT FAILS MISERABLY :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Alternatively get yourself a Raspberry Pi and install XBMC. I haven't used my WD since getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Billy Sollox

mordeith wrote: »
    Alternatively get yourself a Raspberry Pi and install XBMC. I haven't used my WD since getting one.
    Cased Pi + Plug from Farnell = €51.33
    HDMI from pound shop = €2

Class 10 32GB SD Card = €25?
    or
    Class 10 4GB Card = €7

You run operating system from card all the time yes? Does whatever you want to watch have to be on the card (if you don't have your own network)? Or can you plug a HDD in to the USB slot?

Can you do all from the Card?

Is it as simple as sticking the standalone image on the SD Card and booting or is it an evening set up job?

After buying a mouse this is near as expensive as WD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Cased Pi + Plug from Farnell = €51.33
    HDMI from pound shop = €2

Class 10 32GB SD Card = €25?
    or
    Class 10 4GB Card = €7

You run operating system from card all the time yes? Does whatever you want to watch have to be on the card (if you don't have your own network)? Or can you plug a HDD in to the USB slot?

Can you do all from the Card?

Is it as simple as sticking the standalone image on the SD Card and booting or is it an evening set up job?

After buying a mouse this is near as expensive as WD?[/ quote]

the case isn't necessary and you can go with the 4gig card. OS is on the card and you can connect a HDD. it can pull info from IMDB. You can use free Yatse app as remote. Up to you of course but it is an option. Basic setup is 20 minute job. Most of that is just waiting for updates to download.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

problem with the pi is that it cant handle hq 1080 content yet... disappointing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

If you simply want a media player with a HDMI and wired connections. I use a Iomega, plays everything. Interface is ok, not great. But it does what I need

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

problem with the pi is that it cant handle hq 1080 content yet... disappointing
    I don't have one but I'm pretty sure that's been fixed in the last couple of months, can play 20GB files without problem going by a couple of sites.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I don't have one but I'm pretty sure that's been fixed in the last couple of months, can play 20GB files without problem going by a couple of sites.

the majority of mine are 20 -30 gb... and its hard to find much evidence on its support

• Advertisement
Advertisement