Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Does Galway Need?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

A roof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I had to Google Nandos....so obviously one is not needed

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Doom wrote: »
    PIty they wouldn't develop the area near the docks (where the oil tanks were) into a proper music/ conference/ multi purpose centre. Perfect site for it.

No man sorry, that area is reserved for the absolutely terrible funderland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

-Vega- wrote: »
    No man sorry, that area is reserved for the absolutely terrible funderland.

kanckerland more like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

-Vega- wrote: »
    A massive All-in-one sports and entertainment complex smack in the centre of town, indoors astros, basketball courts, computer gaming, arcade, 4 screen cinema , large modern bar, a peter pan funworld type area to ditch ure ****ty kids, a few rooms that can be rented out cheap like for book clubs or whatever, karate/tango bla.. give us something to do please. Galway is brilliant when u first get here and boring as **** a year later :/
    me and my kids are never bored, there's a wealth of stuff to do around here..... There's a bay full of water with miles of coastline, plenty of swimming pools, libraries, Judo, karate, ballet, GAA, rugby, book clubs, two cinemas with plenty of screens each, woodland and hills out west, big green areas for flying kites, kid friendly restaurants, any amount of good pubs, skate parks, playgrounds, aquarium, down hill mountainbiking just out the road.....

dude, if you're bored here i really dunno what to say to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Doom wrote: »
    kanckerland more like

Well, I don't know if it would be my type of music, and I can't imagine why they'd dedicate a whole land to it. But what ever floats people's boats.

uncle kancker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

.... something done with the Bailey in Salthill, to fill rainy afternoons. Actually, I sometimes think Salthill could do with some more 'browse-ability' on a more tasteful front. I dunno, a proper crafts and Gifts shop with stuff made in Galway. An antique shop or something a bit shabby chic.

For Galway itself??? A proper full-on hobby shop, that has a huge selection of trains, kites, build yer own model airplane... etc.!! The kind of shop that has an elaborate model train running around it so that folk travel & bring their kids to have a look as a treat and they buy something small... the train being an attraction in itself. Lots of folk have lots of time for hobbies and to tinker with stuff in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nandos...I already enquired though. The Franchise is per country...Madness! You'd need to work something out with whoever owns the ones in Dublin...absolute balls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Nandos...I already enquired though. The Franchise is per country...Madness! You'd need to work something out with whoever owns the ones in Dublin...absolute balls

Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Nandos me hole.

Remember a few years ago on this forum when people where screaming for a KFC. Like, absolutely going mad for a KFC. Don't mind proper traffic infrastructures, purpose built music venue, social / park area in the docks, etc.

Anyway we finally got a KFC. And boy did it put us on the map like Ogdenville, North Haverbrook and Brockway. Cured Aids and poverty from the way some people went on.

What we'd like is a Nando's, but what we need is another question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Galway2013 wrote: »
    Looking for ideas for an Investment. If you had the money what would you open?

There is no distillery in Galway(there used to be 2) and there is no Irish owned distillery in Ireland any more. If you would like to invest in a distillery I can put you in touch with people who want to build one.

There is also no penetration testers in Galway. You could invest in me...?

WTF is Nandos??? :confused

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

syklops wrote: »

WTF is Nandos??? :confused

Its an English chain that serves chicken dishes that are apparently (not really) spicy, didn't think much of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nandos is an South African chicken restaurant chain.

We don't need that, what Galway needs is Maoz (which I say every time this type of thread comes up so it's a fair few times now).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galway needs less corruption and a work force with a strong work ethic. Considering it was in style to be unemployed long before the recession and corruption has been a cornerstone of the nation for decades now. I say we aim low. Plus this guy wants to invest, so likely, he\she wants a return on their investment. Investing in local infrastructure would not be a wise investment.

KFC was packed out their doors for months after opening. And it's a poor restaraunt, even just by KFC's in Ireland standards! Nandos in Dundrum is always crazy busy. It would likely keep a steady stream of customers and multiple outlets are springing up around Dublin, so you know it's successful already.

I moved to the US and googled to see if there was Nandos in my state. Unfortunately when I moved here there was only one outlet in D.C. I checked a couple of weeks ago and there's now a sixth being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is no distillery in Galway(there used to be 2) and there is no Irish owned distillery in Ireland any more. If you would like to invest in a distillery I can put you in touch with people who want to build one.

Teelings?
    Dingle? (Porterhuse)

Galway would make a good spot for a distillery though. Distilleries make good tourist attractions too and Galway is already a tourist hot spot.

Saruman wrote: »
    Teelings?
    Dingle? (Porterhuse)

Galway would make a good spot for a distillery though. Distilleries make good tourist attractions too and Galway is already a tourist hot spot.

Beam bought Teeling.

That's Cooley though, that was John Teeling.
    I'm talking about Teeling Whiskey Company set up by his brother.

It's pretty new and the whiskey is now available and I think it's still independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

How about an outer bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How about parking near the stadium

That's Cooley though, that was John Teeling.
    I'm talking about Teeling Whiskey Company set up by his brother.

It's pretty new and the whiskey is now available and I think it's still independent.

To be fair they're a bottler. They don't have their own still yet.

• Advertisement

To be fair they're a bottler. They don't have their own still yet.

Ah, didn't know that.
    Thanks

Ah, didn't know that.
    Thanks

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2013/02/jack-teeling-considers-dublin-irish-whiskey-distillery/

He's thinking of buying one, but for now its just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Large good concert venue sensibly located in the city center or Salthill. Leisureland is acoustically awful and very uncomfortable, the Roisin Dubh is a vastly overrated tiny dingebox and the Black Box is also a dump.

The outer bypass also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Holyhole

Ive always been amazed there isn't a Wagamama's in Galway.. would make a killing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Holyhole wrote: »
    Ive always been amazed there isn't a Wagamama's in Galway.. would make a killing..
    It would have some very stiff competition from the Asian Tea Lounge. I love that place myself, I prefer it to Wagamama's at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Holyhole wrote: »

Lets get more chains, just what Galway needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

This would be really cool :) An elevated cycle-way from say Blackrock along the prom, in by the Claddagh and up towards Eyre Square (maybe via the Corrib or canal somehow). It would be such a cool way for tourists to take a nice, relaxing journey through Galway without worrying about cars...and could generate an income. It wouldn't have to be a roller-coaster as such. Anyway, just a thought:

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/treehugger-style-roller-coaster-in-japan-its-pedal-powered.html

By the way, does anyone remember the 4-seater cycle things that used to be for rent on the prom about 25 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    It would have some very stiff competition from the Asian Tea Lounge. I love that place myself, I prefer it to Wagamama's at times!

... well, some of us are not in the city at night and would enjoy something like Wagamama for a bite at lunchtime... :D Seriously, I'm still amazed / at the number of asian / indian restaurants that are only open for the evening in this city - maybe it's the same in other irish cities though, but I come from the continent and most asian eateries are open for lunch too there. Can someone explain this to me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

deliege wrote: »
    I come from the continent and most asian eateries are open for lunch too there. Can someone explain this to me?

The tulsi and eastern tandoori used to open for lunch but a lack of trade forced them to abandon that, there are a handful of city centre chinese restaurants open during lunch hours - the ming garden being one, and the golden rickshaw another.
    I guess the average irish person thinks of lunch more as a sandwich or a burger than an actual meal, and even then it's played safe, a shame for me as I like to eat more than that :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement