Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surname Search

• 17-05-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have recently started the family tree and my grandmothers surname was Koyce. Family legend has it that they were originally Russian folk (The family lived near the docks in Limerick) and I have found evidence of another Russian family that lived nearby in the 1901 census.
    The name Koyce seems to centred around Limerick and Tipperary from what I have gathered.
    My main question is how can I verify that Koyce is indeed a abbreviated/full russian surname or find out more?
    Any help would be great.

bp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I would say that possibly birth and marriage certs might help you to establish when the name made it's way to Ireland, you might be able to get travel records

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Theres a Commonwealth War grave for a Patrick John Koyce from limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

I don't know about Russia but your family were definitely in Tipperary before they came to Limerick.

Variations of the surname include Kyce, Kyse and Kise. The next step would be to find a baptism or marriage record for Martin Koyce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

There is a researcher looking for information on "Martin Koyce born 12 December 1883 in Ballinhinch Parish, Co. Tipperary. His parents were Martin Koyce, occupation Thatcher and Anna Kelly"

Rootsireland.ie has the following children for Martin Koyce and Anna Kelly: Martin b. 1883 in Tipperary, Michael Thomas b. 1895 in Limerick, and James b. 1898 in Limerick (died as an infant).

Martin Koyce Sr's daughter Nora went to the States in 1910.

The April 15th 1939 edition of the Limerick Leader mentions the ITGWU extending sympathy to "Mr P Koyce (Tannery Section) on the death of his mother"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

dido2 wrote: »
    Theres a Commonwealth War grave for a Patrick John Koyce from limerick

Thats my gran-uncle, went down with his ship in WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

There is a researcher looking for information on "Martin Koyce born 12 December 1883 in Ballinhinch Parish, Co. Tipperary. His parents were Martin Koyce, occupation Thatcher and Anna Kelly"

Rootsireland.ie has the following children for Martin Koyce and Anna Kelly: Martin b. 1883 in Tipperary, Michael Thomas b. 1895 in Limerick, and James b. 1898 in Limerick (died as an infant).

Martin Koyce Sr's daughter Nora went to the States in 1910.

The April 15th 1939 edition of the Limerick Leader mentions the ITGWU extending sympathy to "Mr P Koyce (Tannery Section) on the death of his mother"

Thanks tanoralover thats very appreciated.

From my info my great-grandfather was Patrick Koyce and he had a brother called Martin (b.1883) so that adds up.
    Some of the siblings names add up , I got most info from the 1901/1911 census.
    The furthest back I could find was Ann Koyce with no spouse but the names match again for he children. So she was possibly she was Anna Kelly.
    Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement