Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Scammers / Hackers

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

A recent experience of mine involving internet hackers trying to infect my PC by phoning up and telling me they were from microsoft and that my PC was compromised.
    i played along up-to a point for research purposes.
    The scam went like this.
    1. You receive a phone call telling you your PC is infected.
    2. The scammer guides you to open the event viewer which very likely has many warnings and errors which have nothing to do with malware infection.
    3. the scammer tries to convince you that you have a massive virus infection.
    4. scammer guides you to download TEAMVIEWER software
    BTW, TEAMVIEWER is legitimate remote control software
    4. Teamviewer generates a session ID and password.
    5. Scammer asks for these details in order to connect remotely with your PC.
    6. Of course you could not allow this as the attacker would simply visit a website and download malware onto your PC and have complete control of your PC.
    Please educate your friends and family and send the message that ireland should not be considered a soft target.:)
    The interesting point here is that this proves that your PC is likely clean and the hacking attempt is just social engineering and not any great genius exploit.
    No need to Wipe your PC clean:)
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement