Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to figure EA out...

Options
  • 18-05-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

So, we were the first viewers of a house in the 6 months it went up, ended up having 3 viewings with making an offer on the third afterwards to the EA in writing... They did mention one upcoming viewing a week later.

The EA came back a few days later saying that there had been one more viewing (before the one mentioned above) and they made a bid of +20k on ours, and that there were a couple of more viewings next week.

For me what I'm wondering and trying to figure out is...

Would you make an offer on a house that's not perfect after one viewing? I can barely buy a game for the Xbox straight away, but then I am a bit of an ultimate procrastinator...

How come all of a sudden when we bid, after 6 months, it becomes the most desirable property in a rural area in one week...

I do not want to end up bidding against myself, but if it turns out I am, I would have just preferred a flat rejection of our offer... I'm just struggling to decide how real is all this new interest? Thoughts?

We are considering a small increase on their maybe +2k, to slow down the increments of the bids, if it is real...

Sorry half ranting / but what do you reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'd be fairly confident that there is no other bid. I'd leave your offer as it stands, do not increase it. I'd even possibly put a timeframe on your offer

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

We did put a timeframe on it, 30min after it expired the EA rang with the 20k+ other offer... That said nothing will happen without us knowing, presume meaning "sale agreed", think I might just sit on my hands and wait until he calls us...

Really trying to rule with my head on this one, and leave any emotional attachment out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

sorry, but I find it almost crazy that people still enquire here about the truth of a second bidder after viewing a property.

it's always, always, always, always the same lame game from the ea's. just browse through the threads here in the forum and you'll find approx. 1/ week asking this same question and turns out the ea was always playing the same game in one way or the other.

plain madness and everybody who still falls for that bs really deserves to be fooled over.
    /rant over

Totally get your post Tara, I read them all before being in the situation myself... For some reason now im caught up in it, its wrecking my head!

We are sure now the surprise of it has settled in, we are firmly going to sit on our hands and play the waiting game until, inevitably the EA calls us...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

yeah, didn't mean to be harsh or anything on you personally, just wondering, and I know the situation is different when being in it rather than just reading about it and not being involved in their stupid games.

good luck with the house and don't let yourself be fooled around. always remember, plenty of good other opportunities out there these days:)

• Advertisement

Ha, no fear of taking it personally! :-)

But thanks! Hopefully things will go to plan, its a rural area so not as much opening up, but thats not going to influence this for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The EA came back a few days later saying that there had been one more viewing (before the one mentioned above) and they made a bid of +20k on ours, and that there were a couple of more viewings next week.
    Well, since a bid of +20k came in within minutes of your bid, I think you should put a new bid in straight away.

-20k of your original bid.

And tell him that the offer expires on the 24th at 13:00

And when the offer expires, see if you can contact the actual owners, and see if the EA has given them the bid of your -20k bid, as I'd doubt it.

the_syco wrote: »
    Well, since a bid of +20k came in within minutes of your bid, I think you should put a new bid in straight away.

-20k of your original bid.

And tell him that the offer expires on the 24th at 13:00

And when the offer expires, see if you can contact the actual owners, and see if the EA has given them the bid of your -20k bid, as I'd doubt it.

Just to clarify, i dont know when "the bid" came in, the EA only informed me of it 30min after my bid expired, as in my offer I did put a timeframe on it, but interesting putting in the next bid lower than the first, has anyone done that and what was the response?

I'm presuming the EA assumes we are fairly interested given the 3 viewings...

We were considering a third party getting involved on our behalf to use to guage the truth of the situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had a similar situation 18 months ago, I bid on a house(that was on sale for 3yrs at that stage), was told it was a low bid by estate agent, I said fine see what seller says, offer expires in 2 weeks, was then told another offer for bit more was made. I viewed a couple more places and found a better place, bigger garden, more private, so put in a bid good bit lower than asking price and got it. 6 months later estate agent from first property called to see if I was still interested.

Have since heard its been sold to county council for considerably less (25k) than I offered.

It's a joke what some EA's try even now. I'd say to EA that its too much you'll keep looking and see what happens, if he comes back drop the bid as said above.

Yup, it's unreal, like what's wrong with they rejected the offer, or a flat out no!

We spent the day today looking up and driving around and expanding our range and going to just keep looking until the inevitable phone call!

As the_syco says, may even approach the owners direct in a week or two!

• Advertisement
Advertisement