Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 tax back and tax back on flights

Options
  • 18-05-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

hi everyone,

question...

has anyone heard that if you are on a 457 you can get the cost of flights (to whereever) half back in your tax.

this was just a post that i saw on FB but there was nothing to back it up.

i went home at xmas and paid 2500 on my flight so if i thought i could get some of that back it would be brill.

thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

No. Not on a 457. That's just ridiculous.

The only way you can claim for flights home is when you're a PR or above. And even at that it's difficult.

Link

What overseas travel expenses can you claim?
    If you are an Australian resident and own a rental property overseas, you may travel overseas on holiday and inspect your rental property at the same time.
    If the main purpose of the trip is a holiday, you cannot claim the cost of getting there - you can only claim local expenses directly related to inspecting the property, such as taxi fares and part of your accommodation expenses.

If we select your travel expense claim for review or audit, you must be able to show your reason for visiting the rental property.
    The records you keep, such as invoices for your accommodation or airline tickets, will help you do this. If you spend six or more nights away from where you live, you must keep a travel diary or similar document that shows the nature of the activities, dates, places, times and duration of your activities and travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Irish People Living in Australia...

Quality advice if it isn't true!! NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I got tax back on my flights back in 2007 when I was on my 457 visa. Not sure if there has been changes made to this since then but I looked into claiming tax back on flights home in 2009 (different employer) and I was told that it's not possible.
    I've never seen any official documents on this but it definitely seems to be a bit of a grey area.
    No harm in asking your employer about it. You won't get anything if you don't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

What you may have heard about is the FBT 50% exemption for flights home for a company. If you salary package the flights, it is actually possible to get tax back on those flights (it is a bit complicated to explain but if your company offers it - they might be willing to explain it to you)

Just to note that before everyone reads this and thinks they can go get tax back on their flights home, it is only available in limited circumstances. Most companies will not qualify so won't offer it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Wasn't the tax back on a 457 with LAFHA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

hussey wrote: »
    Wasn't the tax back on a 457 with LAFHA?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'm on a 457 and flew back to Ireland for a couple of weeks at xmas. I paid for the flights myself. One of those days was spent with my previous employer (same company I'm working with now - I got transferred from the Irish office to one of the Australian offices).

Can I to claim tax back for my flights? If needed, I'm sure I could probably get a letter saying that I was doing 'training' while I was in Ireland. Would this classify as a travel expense (or even 'part' travel expense) or am I completely chancing my arm here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I remember reading about this on the pomsinoz forum and if I recall, you needed to keep a log book while you were away to prove that you were "working" for each day you were home.

So if you went home for three weeks (21 days) and were training for 1 day, I don't imagine you can claim that as a work trip.

Open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You could claim a portion of it, as you are meant to deduct any private portion of your trip
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00288728.htm&page=11
    But if you go to an accountant he can probably give you a run down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Depending on where you are, you must be remote and with an employer who allows it and if you own a house in Ireland you can claim back a portion of the cost of your flights / travel though salary sacrifice. The cost is deducted from your pay which reduces your tax liabiltiy and then refunded a few days later. You do pay a fringe benifit tax at a lower rate however.

I am on a 457 and have just done it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement