Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agility course

• 18-05-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I made a lot of researches on the web, but I could not find anything.
    I really would like to start agility or something related with Jago.
    Unfortunately I work one or two weekend a month so I need to find something during the week and NOT on wednesday :(
    He goes to daycare in dti but they have agility only on wed.

I was looking around and everything seems to be in the weekend and I don't want to waste money because I will miss lessons :(

Any suggestion? Maybe there is something without website that I've missed.

I am in Dub 15 but I have car..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Jsabina, not sure where D15 is - but if you google DOG AGILITY TRAINING IRELAND you will get lots of hits. I watch sheepdog trials in a field near my house - fabulous stuff! I cut/paste this bit from a website I was looking at - to give you a starter - hope you get started - looks like great fun for Jago!! -

...if don't want to travel there is training in Dublin in Irish Show Centre at Cloghran on Sundays or in WTCI (Working Trials Club of Ireland - www.wtci.ie) in Tymon Park also on Sundays, also Dublin Dog Training do lessons on Saturdays (www.dublindogtraining.com)

...I know you said not weekends, but I think you said you dont work every weekend - worth calling people to ask though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How old is Jago now? I don't think any agility club will take a dog until they are a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    How old is Jago now? I don't think any agility club will take a dog until they are a year old.

You start with the foundation/obedience first - so wait, go, left, right and stuff like that and maybe a few little jumps. We did foundation because I had a voucher :o and wanted to brush up on commands when he was off lead - as much fun as it might be agility is just too risky for us with his legs etc
    Anyhoos it was great fun for us because we had learnt some of the commands when he was a lot younger (prob Jago's age) and it was great a year or so later to have him a)knowing the commands and b)being so much more focused on me and not what was happening around us so we had good fun. At one stage somebody was having problems getting the dog to go up on the little table thing and the trainer told her to look at myself and Bailey - he trusted me and we had a strong bond and that was what she had to aim for. I was delighted with myself lol - he was a tearaway when we started out and was now being used as an example! :P

Have you done a foundation obedience class with him OP and is his recall good - if not I'd do that first before trying obedience. Trust me if your dog is running off trying to play etc you spend the class trying to catch him (like I did when Bailey was Jago's age) it's kind of embarrassing!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Do you want to do agility to compete or just for fun? If you intend competing I would make sure the trainers actually compete themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks for all the answers!
    jago is 8 months now, I know he is young, but I know that in some places they do foundation agility.
    He did the puppy classes and next month we should do 1 month of obedience.
    But he is a crazy one, I am sure he will enjoy agility or something like that.
    I am not interested in competitions, but to have fun with him.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

http://www.k9trainingservices.com/

Friends of mine are full of praise on above trainer for agility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Does anyone know of any clubs near the midlands? I just want to do it for fun or maybe towards doing small scale comps.

Advertisement