Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Issues at Work - concerned for our safety

Options
  • 18-05-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I manage a fast food place and I am concerned for the safety of the staff. There have been a number of issues lately - smashed windows, trying to take the till, kicking the door in (to get behind the counter), delivery driver robbed and a few days ago as I was walking in I was grabbed and had a knife held to my throat.

There is a garda station less than 1km away and we get no response from them when there are problems. When the situation with the knife occurred one of the staff called the garda while the guy had a knife at my throat - there was no response for at least 30 minutes - in that time we managed to sort out the situation ourselves, we then immediately closed the store and left. So we dont even know if they ever did show up

I have tried to get private security - however the owners say that its too expensive and refuse to allow it. I am considering quitting, what do you think you would do in this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I'd hire a solicitor and sue for constructive dismissal personally. I'd also make a complain tot he Garda ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

FastTonyW wrote: »
    Hi,

I manage a fast food place and I am concerned for the safety of the staff. There have been a number of issues lately - smashed windows, trying to take the till, kicking the door in (to get behind the counter), delivery driver robbed and a few days ago as I was walking in I was grabbed and had a knife held to my throat.

There is a garda station less than 1km away and we get no response from them when there are problems. When the situation with the knife occurred one of the staff called the garda while the guy had a knife at my throat - there was no response for at least 30 minutes - in that time we managed to sort out the situation ourselves, we then immediately closed the store and left. So we dont even know if they ever did show up

I have tried to get private security - however the owners say that its too expensive and refuse to allow it. I am considering quitting, what do you think you would do in this situation?

quit workin there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stonemason9

Hi what part of the country are you,i work in security mainly in the fast food industry ,its not easy I get a lot of hassle every night.

Advertisement