Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about rabbits.

• 18-05-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm wondering if it's safe for a rabbit to use a horse's salt lick stone. It says it's okay for deer and rabbits are part of the deer family. My housemate got a block of it after I'd told him that rabbits like salt. Would it be safe for him or would I need to get a rabbit specific one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

rabbits are part of the deer family

What?!?! Where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would stick to a small animal salt and mineral stone as the minerals would be in the right concentration for small animals

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

I'm wondering if it's safe for a rabbit to use a horse's salt lick stone. It says it's okay for deer and rabbits are part of the deer family. My housemate got a block of it after I'd told him that rabbits like salt. Would it be safe for him or would I need to get a rabbit specific one?

I'm not sure how different a salt lick made for horse's would be from one designed for rabbits, but even the ones for rabbits are totally unneccessary and can actually cause problems due to excess minerals. If your rabbit is getting a good, balanced diet of vegetables, hay and a good quality dry food then there is no need to be giving it a salt lick, especially one not designed for them.

Rabbits are also not part of the deer family.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Thanks for the replies. I don't know where I got the info about the deer thing. I must have read something and it stuck with me. My mind can be odd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't give the rabbit any salt lick, they can over use them very easily it's not good for them. If the rabbit has a good diet (Burgess is an excellent dry food) and really good hay (and access to fresh grass when possible) bit of veg etc. then the bun shouldn't need any suppliments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement