Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NB Minimus

Options
  • 18-05-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried these?

Thinking on buying a pair. It's been a while since I went running but I do strike with my forefoot/ball and these shoes seem to be designed with that in mind.

Any experiences??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've tried the 4mm drop and the zero drop ones. Love both pairs. I wouldn't go with the zeros though if you haven't been running lately.

I've tried the 4mm drop and the zero drop ones. Love both pairs. I wouldn't go with the zeros though if you haven't been running lately.

exactly. 0mm drop shoes are very likely to damage you if you haven't taken the time to slowly get used to them. even 4mm will feel tough on the calves if you haven't been running much in the last while. at most, go for the "10" series and take it easy. if you want to bring in the 0mm ones after a few months, do it very easy - start off with short 2 mile runs and mix in with the other shoes and only increase the distance 10% a week. I have the 0mm road in my collection and if I haven't been using them much I have to go back to the start again with them distance-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

+1

wore mine for 5 miles on Thursday after not wearing them for about 2 months and i can still feel my calves hurting a bit. 8 miles around the mountains in the trail version this morning probably wasn't a good idea either ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

Thanks for the input folks. I've never ran in these type of runners before, always had Saucony that suited my pronation. I'm more keen on allowing/encouraging my natural running style.

It's been so long since I've been running I'd imagine tight calves will be inevitable to some degree anyway.

Now that you've gone towards the minimal route, would you ever go back to a heavier shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

circadian wrote: »
    Thanks for the input folks. I've never ran in these type of runners before, always had Saucony that suited my pronation. I'm more keen on allowing/encouraging my natural running style.

It's been so long since I've been running I'd imagine tight calves will be inevitable to some degree anyway.

Now that you've gone towards the minimal route, would you ever go back to a heavier shoe?

No never i wear Invo-8 more the NB but they do the same and love them will not go back to normal runners

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doubt it, but, there isn't much 'research' done about the damage long term minimal shoe wearing will do.

That said, before we wore these supportive, cushioned shoes they were wearing shoes more like the minimal ones we wear now. The likes of Jim Mc and Ron Hill are stil running injury free now, Jim Mc does all his runs in racing flats and is still running at 74. Go figure....

They ran more miles back then too...

Would recommend the Saucony Kinvara as a nice cushioned shoe with a low-ish 4mm drop and pretty light (just under 8ounces for size 9 not a lot heavier than minimus 10 series).
    Will encourage a mid-foot / forefoot strike.
    Available for a really good price at the moment too here

I was looking at the Kinvara before, I've always loved running in Saucony.
    I'd like to actually try all these shoes on but have found it hard to find a shop in the city centre that would have this kind of runner in stock.

Anyone know of places to compare the Minimus, Kinvara etc? I spotted the Skechers GoRun in the Skechers shop in town but I don't know how they'd perform.

Don't know a shop that would have them all for sure.

Runways Panell Street.
    Amphibian King (Bray and Ballymount)

are recommended here often.

Snow and Rock Dundrum have a decent selection sometimes.

Elvery's also

Will be tricky to find a place with them all tbh.

Hi folks! I went into town today and had a look around and ended up getting a pair of Brooks ST5. I don't think I'm quite ready for a minimal shoe yet so it was either these or the Kinvara which were a lovely shoe I'll admit.

Basically it came down to price and €70 for the brooks was a pretty good deal. I think they suit my running style yet will provide cushion for someone who hasn't run in a while.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'll be back in a few months looking for the latest minimal shoe :-) happy running folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hi folks! I went into town today and had a look around and ended up getting a pair of Brooks ST5. I don't think I'm quite ready for a minimal shoe yet so it was either these or the Kinvara which were a lovely shoe I'll admit.

Basically it came down to price and €70 for the brooks was a pretty good deal. I think they suit my running style yet will provide cushion for someone who hasn't run in a while.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'll be back in a few months looking for the latest minimal shoe :-) happy running folks!

Smart move, the ST5s are a great in-between shoe. Not too heavy but they have some support aswell. I tried to transition to zero drop shoes last year and it didnt end well, too much too soon. I think the process needs to be handled very very gradually and delicately. Definitely the right way to go but requires patience.

Had a short run in them last night, lovely. Support where I need it and plenty grippy too!

Looking forward to building up miles in them and hopefully getting onto the Miniumus at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Anybody know where nb minimus road zeros are stocked in dublin? Looking to get them in a 44 or 45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Sportsdirect have the NB minimus trail very very cheap if you don't mind ordering online. Got a pair a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Peetrik wrote: »
    Sportsdirect have the NB minimus trail very very cheap if you don't mind ordering online. Got a pair a few weeks back.

Has to be the mr 00, I can makenit to runwaysnon Monday to see if they have em,.prefer to try a shoe on before I buy

Advertisement