Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to do different modules within engineering courses?

Options
  • 18-05-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all, Im just wondering is it possible at all to do different modules, say from a different engineering course in place of one in any of your own semesters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

99% sure you cant, the main reason being the modules you do are accredited by engineers Ireland so if you dont do them your degree wont be accredited making you useless!

The only exception would be co-op, if you dont get it you can do the alternative programme, where you choose modules you can do on a pass fail basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

You can't, however you can take an extra module on a pass-fail basis which should appear on your transcript (i'm 99% sure of this).

Why would you want to do a replacement module anyway? If you are a mech wanting to do 1 aero module it's a little pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

No interest in the control modules, their of no use to me, was looking ay some interesting aero modules of more use to me. Accreditation issues wouldnt bother me, its all engineering anyway. Il look into it, cheers for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

DJW11 wrote: »
    No interest in the control modules, their of no use to me, was looking ay some interesting aero modules of more use to me. Accreditation issues wouldnt bother me, its all engineering anyway. Il look into it, cheers for the input.

it would effect you as you wouldn't be able to get a degree in mechanical engineering if you did those areo modules instead of control , you would in effect be creating your own course ,

anyway if your that interested in areo why don't you just do the course it's 90% the same as the mechanical course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

DJW11 wrote: »

That's the worst reason ever.

Control is used in a lot of things. The Aero's do it too, however they have 1 intense module but the mechs have 3 medium work load modules on it and cover it a little better.

You must meet a minimum broad range of knowledge to be accredited. I don't think the college can give you a mechanical engineering degree unless you do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement