Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone for about €200 advice please

Options
  • 18-05-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I broke yet another iPhone so I'm looking to get a new phone.
    Not going to bother getting the iPhone fixed, it's iPhone 3 and has a few bits broken.

So I'm going to get a new phone. I'm on Meteor, my wife, her mum and sister are too so I'll probably stay with Meteor for the free Meteor to Meteor calls.
    I pay about €20 for free meteor to meteor, 200 mins & texts to any other network. I'm on 30 day rolling contract

I'm happy to buy from Amazon etc or buy into contract if it works out not too expensive.

I see the Sony Experia P is free on 18 month contract, €25 per month.
    don't really know how to compares to Samsung Galaxy 3 etc.
    Anyone have any advice for about €200 max?
    I use the phone for calls, e-mail, browsing, apps etc.
    cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Nokia Lumia (windows phone)

Different models out there but you will get the 800 for less than €200

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Previous poster is on the right track go for either the Lumia 520 or 620. Far better than those cheap and nasty Android low end phones. Great performance, expandable memory to 64GB, excellent camera and so easy to use.

Here's a review.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nokia-lumia-620_Mobile-Phone_review

All operators except Three sell them they will shove a Samsung at you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks, just had a quick look at them.
    They're both only €30 with 18 month contract.
    The 820 is better specs over the 620, bigger screen etc. so presume that'd be the one to go for.

My wife has the 820 since xmas its an excellent phone cannot go wrong. Just remember to create a microsoft account (if you have a hotmail address you are already sorted) install skydrive and all your content (photos, docs) and contacts are automatically backup up to the cloud you get 7GB data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

at least you will have a few quid left over to buy a good case, which you definitely need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭circadian

Unless you're crazy about modding etc I'd go the windows phone route in that budget. The Lumia 620 is packed with features and although people complain about lack of apps there's almost everything you need and the marketplace is growing.

I'm using an older 7.8 device but anyone I know that made the move to WP8, especially the budget range, has been delighted with the reliability, speed and smoothness of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I would avoid those cheap Lumia's to be honest. Compared to the equivalent Android phones, they are under specced both in hardware and software terms. If you're talking about spending €200 you will get a much superior Android phone.

For example, Expansys have the Acer Cloud Mobile available sim-free for £170 http://www.expansys.com/acer-cloud-mobile-white-238638/.

It runs Android 4.0, it has twice the RAM that the Lumia has, it has a vastly superior CPU, it has a vastly superior and bigger screen, it has NFC, it actually has a frontal camera, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭circadian

The difference in hardware is more to do with OS requirements rather than value for money. Android seems to need a lot of power to get running compared to windows.

Windows phone is really fluid and fast when compared to Android. The Acer Cloud phone mentioned is a good phone let down by a bad camera. All the Nokia's have excellent camera's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I would avoid those cheap Lumia's to be honest. Compared to the equivalent Android phones, they are under specced both in hardware and software terms. If you're talking about spending €200 you will get a much superior Android phone.

For example, Expansys have the Acer Cloud Mobile available sim-free for £170 http://www.expansys.com/acer-cloud-mobile-white-238638/.

It runs Android 4.0, it has twice the RAM that the Lumia has, it has a vastly superior CPU, it has a vastly superior and bigger screen, it has NFC, it actually has a frontal camera, etc.

True, these phones couldn't run android well, but since they run Windows Phone they're absolutely brilliant as it doesn't need the kind of hardware android needs in order to function reactively well, in fact these phones as "under specced" as they are by android standards run smooth as butter on windows phone. It really is amazing to see just how much power android requires just in order to operate.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    at least you will have a few quid left over to buy a good case, which you definitely need.

It was like something out of Final Destination-
    one of my kids handled and dropped the phone breaking the case. That evening I sat on the couch, iphone fell off, bounced on my Croc (don't comment about Crocs, they are ugly but very comfortable) and landed in a cup of tea...

Windows phone is really fluid and fast when compared to Android. The Acer Cloud phone mentioned is a good phone let down by a bad camera. All the Nokia's have excellent camera's.
    That's not true at all. My wife has a Lumia 800 and it consistently produces blurry out of focus shots even in good sunlight.

I had a Lumia 920 and it was so disappointing it was unreal.

True, these phones couldn't run android well, but since they run Windows Phone they're absolutely brilliant as it doesn't need the kind of hardware android needs in order to function reactively well, in fact these phones as "under specced" as they are by android standards run smooth as butter on windows phone. It really is amazing to see just how much power android requires just in order to operate.
    Those lower end Windows Phones will not run a lot of apps because of limited RAM. If they're not running many apps on the Windows Store today, the situation will be even worse in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

Those lower end Windows Phones will not run a lot of apps because of limited RAM. If they're not running many apps on the Windows Store today, the situation will be even worse in a year.

What are you talking about? The windows app store has gotten much better as of late and with demand for windows 8 phones on the rise it is only going to get better.

What are you talking about? The windows app store has gotten much better as of late and with demand for windows 8 phones on the rise it is only going to get better.
    Apps like Subway Surfer and Temple Run require 1GB of RAM, the lower/mid-range of Lumia's only have 512MB of RAM.

The Windows Phone app store is still awful. Yes, volume is increasing, but the quality of apps is awful in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭con___manx1

go into a phone shop and ask if they have any trade ins. i got an iphone 4 for 100 euro. not a mark on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That's not true at all. My wife has a Lumia 800 and it consistently produces blurry out of focus shots even in good sunlight.

I had a Lumia 920 and it was so disappointing it was unreal.

Sounds like there an issue with the user interface on focusing from here

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/13750_Nokia_Lumia_800-Part_3-Camera_.php

http://mywpstory.com/2012/04/camera-tip-taking-better-photos-with-your-new-nokia-lumia-900-windows-phone/

Some people can obviously take good shots so theres a knack to it. On my Ace 2 its struggles to get a quick focus on default mode, but switch to sport mode and its vastly better. But it doesnt remember it, so you have to switch to it each time. You have to wonder do they test these properly at all.

Apps like Subway Surfer and Temple Run require 1GB of RAM, the lower/mid-range of Lumia's only have 512MB of RAM.

The Windows Phone app store is still awful. Yes, volume is increasing, but the quality of apps is awful in many cases.

They are games not apps, if you want to be picky.

Curiously enough these games don't need that much ram on other devices, like the IOS. Which suggest this is a bad port. They optimised Angry Birds Star Wars and Angry Birds Space to use less RAM. On the 610 with 256mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I had an 800 and now have a 920 and I can take sharp pictures with both.

Francie, you're becoming no better than a troll with your neverending slagging off windows phones. I would instantly disregard your opinion on anything WP related as you seem to have a particular, irrational hatred for all things Microsoft (reading your posts in the tablet forums too).

That's not true. I had a lot of praise of the Lumia 800 when it was €130, I even bought one for my wife. When you compare like for like though, Windows Phone falls flat on its arse when compared with iOs and Android. This isn't just my opinion, IDC only just came out and put Windows Phone market share at 3.2%. That's an abysmal figure for an OS that's 2.5 years old at this stage and has had so much money thrown at it.

For the moment, Joe Soap on the street is better off with Android or Apple. For the record, I am not even a fan of either. I have a Nexus 4 for development and testing, but my daily phone is still a Nokia E7.

Source http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/16/android-and-ios-continue-to-dominate-smartphone-market-as-windows-phone-shows-signs-of-life/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Yes but for €200 you can't compare like with like as ios doesn't exist in this price bracket.
    op like others have said I think you are better off going with wp8, as a low spec android phone is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I'd put my weight behind WP8 too. I used all three OS's and Windows phone stands shoulders with iOS for me. Android on the other hand... ugh... maybe AOSP on a top of the range handset it would be good. I used a mid range phone and it was bad, i can't imagine how bad it could be on a sub €200 phone.

Problem with Windows Mobile was it didn't have any top end phones and no budget phones, and WP7 was missing a lot of stuff. With Wp8 and new low end phones. Its market share should improve now. I use Android on budget and mid range devices, its a little clunky IMO. I'd consider a budget Wp8 to play with though.

wilser wrote: »
    op like others have said I think you are better off going with wp8, as a low spec android phone is torture.
    Huh? The phone I linked to for €200 is much better specced than the equivalent Windows Phone.

TBi wrote: »
    Android on the other hand... ugh... maybe AOSP on a top of the range handset it would be good. I used a mid range phone and it was bad, i can't imagine how bad it could be on a sub €200 phone.
    So you've used Android once on a "mid range" phone an undetermined time ago?

What was the phone, how long ago was it?

Android really needs a dualcore processor and at least 512mb of ram if not more.

go into a phone shop and ask if they have any trade ins. i got an iphone 4 for 100 euro. not a mark on it

Do you mean trade in my iphone or ask if they sell trade ins?
    Also do you mean a phone shop like O2, Meteor or a shop that unlocks phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Have to say that acer for £170 has excellent specs for the price. Lumia 820 has similar specs (lower res screen actually) but in most places I've seen it is at least €100 more.. Just my 2c anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

So you've used Android once on a "mid range" phone an undetermined time ago?

What was the phone, how long ago was it?

Motorola Defy when it was released. Bloody painful, i changed from it to a cheap Windows Phone (HTC Trophy) and the difference was unbelievable.

*Sits waiting for the obligatory "Oh that phone was a BAD Android phone, the other ones are SOO much better" argument...*
    . Lumia 820 has similar specs (lower res screen actually)

Just to say, lower res does not mean lower quality. Colour definition/ backlight bleed and colours changing if you are not looking straight on are problems with cheap screens, no matter how high the resolution is. I'd prefer a lower res screen with better quality than a high res that's crap.

Also specs are different from Windows Phone, it doesn't need a massive dual/quad core to run smooth like Android.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Have a look over at the Jiayu thread. Top quality build Android 4.1/4.2 phones, 4 inch screen, 1Ghz/1.2Ghz dual/quad cores, 1Gb min RAM etc. All well under €200. They'll play GTA3 which is good enough proof of their power for me!

Advertisement