Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Languages for career without doing them in college?

Options
  • 18-05-2013 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'll try to explain this as easily as I can but basically I have my heart set on law but I also love languages.
    I know I will not get the points for law with french so if I just did normal law how could I continue languages so that they will be an asset for me when I am looking for a job?
    Language lessons obviously but as in do I have to pass an official test to show my fluency to put on my CV?
    Thanks a lot hope that made sense! Also don't know if its relevant but I'm thinking of French and Italian :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Language lessons obviously but as in do I have to pass an official test to show my fluency to put on my CV?
    Nope. Even if you did have a qualification in a certain language, you'd still be subjected to a proficiency test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think in UCD you could keep it on as an elective all the way through. You won't have a degree in it but your Law transcript would show that you did the modules. Not sure if there'd be space for Italian too though.

There are official proficiency measurements by the EU from A1-C2, the LC aims to hit around B1 I think. But as said above they'd probably test you again to be sure, but if you do the modules you'll have no bother with it. I'm not sure how many other colleges offer that kind of thing though but it's food for thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sara.Cherokee

I know in Cork for example you can go to Cork College of Commerce and do afternoon/evening classes to do a language at different levels.

I'm sure Dublin and Limerick anyways would have the same availabilities. Hope that's helpful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Trinity college have language classes in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leavingcert212

okay thanks a lot everyone :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement