Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Bowfishing Bow

Options
  • 18-05-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Looking for a Bowfishing bow with arrows reel etc, must be in good condition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brianzilla

You know this is illegal here in Ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'm not sure about bow-fishing, specifically, being illegal, I think it may be the exception. Can any one say definitively? Brian?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line (Control of Fishing for Coarse Fish in Fresh Water Bye-law No. 595, 1977.).

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

This is what I am going by. If I am incorrect I apologise for my mistake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

brianzilla wrote: »
    The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line (Control of Fishing for Coarse Fish in Fresh Water Bye-law No. 595, 1977.).

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

This is what I am going by. If I am incorrect I apologise for my mistake.

Thanks Brian, do you know if it applies to sea fish also? I'm only going from a vague memory that there was a fishing exception to the hunting ban.

Maybe it's me that's fishing......................:confused:

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Got off my posterior and tried to find out......... went in a circle, as it happened..............

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79196015
    Longranger wrote: »
    I just received am email from the fisheries board regarding bowfishing in saltwater. With the exception of restricted species like salmon,bass and seatrout etc... he said that, like spear fishing, no problem. Has anyone else ever checked this out and if so, what did you hear? I know that bowhunting is illegal and not to be discussed, but as this is fishing.....any interest anyone?

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Well that is interesting. Yes I would agree that it only appears to be banned for fresh water fishing.

From the looks of it though you'd have to be very careful about what fish you catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AdamOHare

You can make your own handy enough. I needed a similar setup for getting ropes into trees.

Buy a cheap recurve. Buy a fishing reel that has a drag knob on the back of the reel..... it wont work if the drag knob is anywhere else.

Oh and the bigger the screw on the knob the better.

Take it to a toolmaker (along with the bow) and tell him you want to connect that screw into the bow via the stabiliser socket.

In my case the guy took the knob off drilled a new hole in it, then took the screw out and got another that would fit the stabliser socket and soldered them together back to back.

Then buy yourself some fly line, trust me, I bought regular bait line at the start because I didnt want to pay near 30 euro for fly line but after many lost arrows I finally bit the bullet and no more lost arrows.

EDIT: Im not great with words... so heres a pic... hopefully it will be worth a thousand.

Advertisement