Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive letter changing at random

Options
  • 18-05-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever seen an issue with the Drive letter for a HDD/partition suddenly changing after a reboot?

I just spent 20 mins trying to figure out where my H: drive had gone to. Didn't notice it had been remapped to L:

I have a lot of internal & external drives & partitions which didn't help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can manually assign a drive letter to each partition/HDD which avoids that happening. I have no idea why your letter changed, maybe you booted while one or more of your external drives wasn't powered up, that would affect things for sure. Or have you a HDD caddy that goes into the DVD slot so the number of internal drives changes?

In Windows 7, go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools then double-click on 'Computer Management' and on the left, click on Disk Management. You can then manually select (single-click) each partition, then right-click and on the popup screen you'll see an option to 'Change Drive Letter and Paths', select the 'change' option to assign a permanent drive letter to that partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thanks. I'm familiar with drive letter assignment.

The drive that went 'missing' is housed in an external 4-drive bay, but it wasn't disconnected. Somehow, between shutdown at 8am and start up at 17:30, it decided to change to a random drive letter. It wasn't even the next available letter. And the other 3 drives in the same bay kept their correct drive letter assignments.

Windows is odd sometimes!

Advertisement