Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants for shaded areas

• 18-05-2013 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

My front garden does not get much sunlight, I am trying to establish a nice flower bed in there. The problem is I cannot seem to find any plants/bushes/flowers that cope with the lack of sunshine. The bed is also under shelter as there is a slate roof overhanging the bed.

If anyone has any ideas of what I could plant that will last that would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

matjay wrote: »
    Hi

My front garden does not get much sunlight, I am trying to establish a nice flower bed in there. The problem is I cannot seem to find any plants/bushes/flowers that cope with the lack of sunshine. The bed is also under shelter as there is a slate roof overhanging the bed.

If anyone has any ideas of what I could plant that will last that would be great.

Cheers

Ferns for a start, you can get some really nice ones
    Hostas
    Bergenia or elephant ears
    Ornamental grasses
    Japanese maples (nice and cheap from aldis)
    I even have a blue hydrenga stuck between a tree and a hedge, still flowers every year
    Virburnium tinus

Alchemilla mollis
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=89

in fact heres a good guide here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

We have box balls,holly ball trees,thalictrums,polygonatums,new zealand ferns and helebors growing very well in shade

Theres some other plants in there aswell,but cant remember them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

paddy147 wrote: »
    We have box balls,holly ball trees,thalictrums,polygonatums,new zealand ferns and helebors growing very well in shade

Theres some other plants in there aswell,but cant remember them all.

looks like aquilas (grannys bonnet)

Very easy to grow from seed as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

looks like aquilas (grannys bonnet)

Very easy to grow from seed as well

The plants in the background are the Thalictrums,and also some alliums.

The plant in my hand is a Polygonatum.

:)

Advertisement