Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Communions/confirmations, utter farce?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

galljga1 wrote: »
    But I believe Mickey Mouse is real. A trip to Disney land will prove this (at least we have some bloke in a suit). Maybe the fundies should set up Jesusworld and we could meet Big J.

I'd be more surprised if they haven't already set one up: these are the people who gave us Bibleman, after all.

I wonder what rides Jesusworld would have? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Yeah, Bibleman, some classic vids on Youtube.

I doubt the type of rides they would have would interest me much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

pauldla wrote: »
    I'd be more surprised if they haven't already set one up: these are the people who gave us Bibleman, after all.

I wonder what rides Jesusworld would have? :D

Not exactly Jeebus world but there is the holy land experience in Florida, looks just the thing for any bored kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Man, that is unreal. How does crap like that exist? Same question applies to....never mind.

No rides there either to interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Man, that is unreal. How does crap like that exist? Same question applies to....never mind.

Dad: Hey kids we're in Florida!

Kids: Yayyyyyy let's go to Disney

Dad: Well we could do that, or we could head up the road and watch people re-enact a fantasy story about Jesus.

Kids:

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not exactly Jeebus world but there is the holy land experience in Florida, looks just the thing for any bored kids :D

Whitest. Jesus. Ever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The time they're at school is their own time, trap. Did you think it belonged to someone else?

School time is funded by the tax payer, its not the kids "own time" and it certainly shouldn't be the catholic church's time either.

Its state paid for and as such it should be used for actual education, not wasting 12% of the school year on prep for a religious event the majority of kids neither understand or have any real interest in outside of some wanting to dress up for the day and others wanting money.

The parents see it as a "big day" for the kids and an expense and the vast majority understand or care little about Jesus or a god. Most parents see it as a pain in the arse to have to bring their kids to mass in the weeks leading up to these events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Although, compulsory Irish is a bad precedent for the idea that class time should be for useful stuff.

*runs*

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

They don't have a Mary Magdalene "chicken ranch" there, no? :(

Although, compulsory Irish is a bad precedent for the idea that class time should be for useful stuff.

*runs*

I completely agree.

Now, if you'd said that in AH on the other hand, you'd probably be lynched by the Gaeilge-Taliban :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Secular pupils feel left out in Church’s schools http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/secular-pupils-feel-left-out-in-churchs-schools-339811.html

study http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/academic/education/images/ChildrensBeliefsandBelongingKitchingandShanneik2015.pdf

http://www.ucc.ie/en/education/news/archives/fullstory-554587-en.html
    This report presents seven key findings from a wider research study of childhood and social change in the Republic of Ireland. The study is called ‘Making Communion: Disappearing and Emerging Forms of Childhood in Ireland’. The report focuses specifically on children’s beliefs, values, and the forms of belonging available to them in religious and non-religious terms across a range of settings. It centralises children’s own interpretations of their lives and worlds.

The report demonstrates that 7-8 year old children are highly diverse in religious and non-religious terms. They actively make sense of their own worlds, placing different emphases on sacred understandings, popular culture, media and consumer items from within and outside school. Their understandings, beliefs and values are place-specific however. School type, urban/rural location, gender and family religious, ethnic and social class background mediate their views and their sense of belonging to school and amongst peers. Given its structuring into the school and ‘coming of age’ experiences of most children in Ireland, we suggest First Holy Communion continues to have a significant but not totalising role in ‘benchmarking’ a child’s life and experience of belonging at a particular point in time in Ireland.

other study on chidlren launched that day http://www.ucc.ie/en/iss21/fullstory-552553-en.html
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/education/res/publications/childrensbeliefs/
    Chloe: There is a boy in our class who doesn’t believe in God that, so he is not having his Communion… they (non-baptised, non-religious children) don’t like God so they em, don’t pray to him, and talk to the devil
    Karl: So they just don’t talk (to God)?
    Chloe: No

Yafa: And they talk to the devil then?
    Chloe: I suppose, I’m supposing. Like if they don’t believe in God they obviously don’t talk to him
    Adam: What do you mean by ‘they talk to the devil’?
    Chloe: Obviously they probably believe in the devil so?
    Adam: Devil?!
    Karl: So they have to believe in something Chloe is it?
    Chloe: Yeah
    Mairead: I don’t believe in him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Interesting reading (childrens beliefs)... Mairead's piece above is great.
    I liked this one too:
    Yafa: So, Majid, when I steal something, who tells me its wrong?

Ismail: A devil?
    Karl: Does he (devil) do good things or bad things?
    Ismail: Bad
    Yafa: And would the devil tell me to steal? (yes) And who tells me
    not to steal?
    Ismail: Angel?
    Yafa: And where are the angels?
    Ismail: Eh, here (points to his shoulder)

Karl: Where did you see that?
    Ismail: Em, Spongebob?

It may be people overestimate the indoctrination in school whilst underestimating the indoctrination in Spongebob.....

Advertisement