Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope and scope/red dot combo's?

Options
  • 18-05-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    is there any resource on line that I can read up on scopes and scope/red dot combination set up's?

I am interested in both red dots for pistols and red dots and red dot and scope's for rifles, (for target shooting).

For instance am I right in thinking that some times you can have a red dot with no (or very little) magnification and heve it in line with a seperate magnafying scope?

All i can find are product descriptions from manufactures and nothing to tell me if a red dot can be used in conjunction with something else (like a normal scope).

I'm a newbe to target shooting so be gentle with me :-) )

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You could buy a scope with an illuminated reticle which could be a dot or the whole and thing you can control the intensity of the light etc.. I have never heard of anyone doing what you are talking about, It would be very difficult they would have to be made to work together and you would need a very long rail. It would also be very heavy.
    I think what you want is a scope with an illuminated reticle, easier and not so heavy.
    Leupold-M1-4-5-14x50-riflescope-with-red-green-illuminated-reticle-EMS-shipping.jpg
    Leupold-Illuminated-Duplex-Reticle.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    is there any resource on line that I can read up on scopes and scope/red dot combination set up's?

I am interested in both red dots for pistols and red dots and red dot and scope's for rifles, (for target shooting).

For instance am I right in thinking that some times you can have a red dot with no (or very little) magnification and heve it in line with a seperate magnafying scope?

All i can find are product descriptions from manufactures and nothing to tell me if a red dot can be used in conjunction with something else (like a normal scope).

Regards

They can be combined and I've seen configurations of it but so far not on any hunting or other sporting firearms. Most hunters into driven big game like driven deer or boar would be either using a red dot or a 1.5 or similar magnification and wide field of view scope or battue iron sights. Red dots would cover too big an area on your target compared to a dedicated target shooting scope for target shooting at longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Regards

The only times I have seen scopes used in conjunction with seperate red dots are in military/police rifles. It is basically to save your ass if you taking long range shots with your scopes and then have to clear a building or in order to rapidly engage a target that gets the drop on you when magnified optics would be a hindrance and speed is of the essence.

The red dots are typically mounted at and angle and the rifle canted to the side to use them.

To be honest I don't see a point in running a set up like that unless your doing it for your life.

If I have completely misunderstood what you were asking, then please forgive me, dying of a hangover... Still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As bravestar said these tend to be seen in military applications. There are various version out there utilizing dots, cross, triangles as a aiming point in conjunction with low powered magnification. These are usually seen in conjunction with 'AR' platforms and are dear enough.
    As also pointed out they are designed for quick acquisition and are not accurate for traditional bulleyes targets. The further out the target the less accurate they are. This is down to the size of the aimpont at a given range. As far as I know the size is measured in MOA. The finer the aim point the more accurate they are.
    I have a cheep one and it easily blots out a clay pigeon at 100 yards. The unit keeps it zero, but its lack of quality is seen in the size of the dot and windage / elevation adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

hi,
    Thanks all. As I say -I new to all this and have been looking stuff up, but am seeing a lot of photos or what look like 'tactical' rifles that the manufactures of red dots and scopes seem to prefer to use to advertise or show off their scopes. they don't explain the set up too much as they seem to assume every one knows whats what.

Anyway. thanks fo rthe info so far.[/I]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

get yourself one of these Its amazing

Advertisement