Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heating

Options
  • 18-05-2013 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    We went to view a house to rent earlier today and we loved it. We really like the house as its very homely, warm and close to where I work. Basically, its perfect for us and our child.
    The only thing that's putting us off is that it has storage heating.

The house we have currently is oil fired which we hate because it is expensive and when it runs out, we have no heating until I get paid.

The house is a 3 bedroom semi-detached. Would it be better than the oil fired heating we have now and would it be cheaper?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Storage heating is very expensive to run, although I dont know how it compares to oil to be honest. To give an example, it costs us about €200 a bill (bi-monthly) to run one storage heater in our two bed apartment. Thats with the night time saver rate electricity.

I would have thought that it would be quite unusual to have storage heating in a house? Its usually confined to apartments and offices. Does the house have any other source of heating? Open fire perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

djimi wrote: »
    Storage heating is very expensive to run, although I dont know how it compares to oil to be honest. To give an example, it costs us about €200 a bill (bi-monthly) to run one storage heater in our two bed apartment. Thats with the night time saver rate electricity.

I would have thought that it would be quite unusual to have storage heating in a house? Its usually confined to apartments and offices. Does the house have any other source of heating? Open fire perhaps?

I thought it was very unusual too considering it was only built about 7 Years ago at the most and the estate across the way has gas central heating.

It has an open fire in the sitting room which will be used as we like an open fire.

With regards to your bill, is that your average all round bill (including your general electricity usage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My sister has oil in her 3 bed ,we have storage heaters in our 2 bed apartment like djimi it costs a fortune to run ,
    With oil you don't need to buy a full tank my sis gets a quater tank for the summer months and full tank to cover through winter works out a lot cheaper and you get a choice of suppliers to choose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

With regards to your bill, is that your average all round bill (including your general electricity usage)?

The ESB bill would range from about €150 in the summer months when we wouldnt be using heating, to as much €350 if we have the one storage heater on. We stopped using the storage heater and instead use a plug in oil radiator, and our highest bill this winter was around €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

A house heated by storage heaters will cost you a fortune to heat. I'd advise to keep looking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP get the BER rating for the property.
    If its well insulated- it could work out quite reasonable even with storage heaters.

You can't just say avoid storage heaters- the BER is far more important.

Advertisement