Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW battery dead...can't open door!

Options
  • 18-05-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a BMW316i and the battery went dead. I only use a key for central locking but it won't even twist because the battery's dead. There's no lock on boot or passenger door. I tried jump-starting it but the positive terminal is on the top of the engine and, because I can't get in to pop the bonnet, I can't access the terminal (I tried jacking the car up & accessing the engine from below). I've been to 2 mechanics and neither of them can figure it out, short of breaking a window. Anyone have any ideas? This must have happened to some else before me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Central locking wont work but the driver door should still open with the key blade

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Generally on bmw's. you put the key in the driver door, then pull up the handle, and then turn the key while holding up the handle. It's designed that way so the door can be opened if the battery is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

C Eng wrote: »
    Central locking wont work but the driver door should still open with the key blade

True, you have to pull the handle up at the same time as turning the key, quite hard! A little wd40 sprayed in first won't do ant harm. If you use the fob all the time, the lock mechanism can stiffen, so occasional use with the key is no harm.

Another possible option is to check if there is any inspection aperture/ hole behind the rear licence plate. Sometimes a thin screwdriver can be used to trip the lock mechanism, not always simple but do-able.

Last option that may work is to run a 12 volt feed into the rear licence plate light, via the bulb. This can feed sufficient power into the system to allow the central locking to function.

All of the above worked for me at one time or another on an old 7 series!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lorrainelynch

Thanks everybody! We have it open! :) Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

same happened to my e34, put the key into the passenger side door as in the vid, lift handle and turn into anti clock direction and then turn back

Advertisement