Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding pot for hens

• 18-05-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi folks, have 2 hens in a run out the back, keep the rolled barley in a bucket but they keep knocking it over , someone told me you can get a hanging basket type feeder where they can peck from and it wouldn't attract any vermen? Any help appreciated! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

We just use an old bowl as a feeder. Over the course of a few days, see how much they will eat..that way you won't overfill the bowl. Then at night, empty any remaining food back into the bag/bin you store their food in. I'm not too sure about those hanging feeders..I've never used one...but rats/mice can climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Thanks, ya was told to bring it in at night alright, do they knock over the bowl much?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

cottager83 wrote: »
    Thanks, ya was told to bring it in at night alright, do they knock over the bowl much?

No, never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Cottager83, you could always put some bricks around the bucket, to stop them knocking it over - they are probably jumping up on the bucket rim to get at the food? Most feed stores and farmshops will stock hen feeders - the best ones I have found, are the ones with an 'umbrella' or 'hat' as a lid, that keeps the food dry.

(By the way, are you ONLY feeding them barley - layers pellets are the best option - barley wont give them all the nutrients they need)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Ya I give them the barley and also any food scraps also, must keep an eye out for those feeders, thanks. God they do ****e a lot but I guess it will bring on the compost!what do people do if heading away for a few days? I leave plenty water and make sure bucket is full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

there are various items which can be purchased, online especially, these are especially made and have been proven sucessfully to work in all conditions, keeping food dry and away from vermin, where one has chickens there are rats, so keeping poison down and keep changing the type of poison.

Advertisement