Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LiPo battery in buffer stock

• 18-05-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭

Que Pasa lads?
    I'm looking into running a LiPo in the buffer tube of a project M4 - The gearbox I'm using is rear wired and if possible I'd like to keep it that way.

I was checking this out and some say that you need a buffer tube designed to fit a LiPo battery specifically, is that true?
    I'm happy enough to run a 7.4v as the expansion rate and heat discharge of the batteries when under load frankly scares me a little and beating an 11.1 into the confined space of a buffer tube strikes me as a recipie for disaster.

I hoping the set up will allow me to run a CTR stock so a crane stock is not the answer.

I'm also looking at fitting an ASCU so if the battery did start to overheat (hmmm I make it sound like I'm spraying fully auto all the time - but hey, sometimes sh1t gets real) I'm hoping it'd give me due warning.

Anyone currently running a similar set up that can offer advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

I myself don't run lipos as I don't trust myself but all you'll need is a buffer tube lipo and your all set. They are usually cylindrical in shape and not overly big.
    As for the ascu it will alert you to anything that goes in the slightest bit wrong in your gearbox or along the wires or battery so you'll be absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've used lipos in my rc planes for years and you're right to be cautious with them. Treat them right when charging and using and you'll be fine. However push them too hard in use and at best, you'll ruin the lipo, at worst, it'll swell up in the buffer tube and might even catch fire. All depends on the brand of lipo, and its true discharge rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

I've ran lipos in the buffer tubes on most m4s I've owned. I ran 7.4v straight to the motor and gearbox with no protection bar a lipo alarm. Never any problems. As already mentioned if not looked after and used correctly they can be dangerous but that can be said about a lot of things :) No special buffer tube needed just find the size you need which is easy enough as they come in many shapes and sizes. I got mine from hobby king. Cost me like 14€ for 2 lipos and a charger.

Advertisement