Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Close account" button. Success or Failure?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm not endorsing Czarcasm's proposal, but if you say that bad posting practice reflects badly on the poster and treat that as the end of the matter, then I would regard that as a failure in moderating.

I see posts that I consider cross the line and I report them. If a mod says that the post did indeed cross the line, but no action is needed because it can be readily seen that the poster is acting like a dick, then I am dissatisfied. No matter how egregious a post is, there are participants who do not see it as reflecting badly on the poster.

I was speaking in a general sense, not as a moderator. If posts cross the line, of course they should be reported and actioned. I never said they shouldn't.
    I was just trying to make the point that I don't think (at this point in time) it's such a problem that needs something like Czarcasm's proposal to be introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I'm not endorsing Czarcasm's proposal, but if you say that bad posting practice reflects badly on the poster and treat that as the end of the matter, then I would regard that as a failure in moderating.

No I think in fairness P the Moderators in AH (at least where I see it happen most often, I'm rarely reading a forum like say Politics) are fairly on the ball with handling that sort of behaviour, but...

LizT wrote: »
    I was just trying to make the point that I don't think (at this point in time) it's such a problem that needs something like Czarcasm's proposal to be introduced.

I'm glad Liz at least recognises that it could become an issue that might warrant discussion in the future, because while Liz is right in saying that we're all responsible for what we post on the site, as you know P in forums like PI and RI, most posters don't post anon, and sometimes (I've done it myself- posted personal infoe with the aim of giving a poster advice on their issue from my perspective), or the regional forums where there's a more colloquial atmosphere... basically you leave a trail of easily collatable information across a range of forums that can all be gathered under your post history.

Ok perhaps the problem isn't as prevalent and maybe it's my own confirmation bias leads me to spotting it more, or maybe it's the fact that more and more offline as part of my work in IT, online data protection and personal privacy have been growing concerns for the last ten years or so but are only really coming to the fore now.

As Cody previously mentioned in this thread, it'll be interesting to watch future developments in this cyberspace.

Advertisement