Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to breed my English Bulldog

• 19-05-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all, I have an English Bulldog and I'm very interested in breeding.
    He's 5 years old, and the only problem is I haven't a clue where to start!
    Anyone point me in the right direction to get started ??
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Why do you want to breed him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

mickko wrote: »
    Hi all, I have an English Bulldog and I'm very interested in breeding.
    He's 5 years old, and the only problem is I haven't a clue where to start!

Have you heard of the birds and the bees? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

Why do you want to breed him?

It would be a shame not to.
    He's got such a great character, and has no health issues.
    My family have been interested in the breed for many years and it's something we've always talked about.
    As you may be aware, Bulldogs have a short lifespan and I guess if I were honest, it is now or never.
    We're not interested in selling, any pups would be kept in our family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

If your family wants bulldogs, and you want pups why don;t you or somebody else in your family get a bitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I do understand that you want to breed for sentimental reasons, but if you'd seen the number of BBs coming into the vets with breathing problems, dermatitis and wonky elbows, hips and knees, I think you'd be reluctant. Your lad could be a healthy specimen, but how will you know definitively that the bitch is also? The pups are likely to inherit these issues.

Also, did you know that in most cases, British Bulldog bitches have to deliver by Caesarian section? It's very extreme. The poor dog has to get over a general anaesthetic, cope with the pain of the surgery, a big incision on her abdomen and still care for her newborns. The last BB that I helped through a Caesarian had ten pups and they all died shortly after birth. Most of them were water puppies.

If it were me, I wouldn't knowingly run the risk of putting any bitch through that. I know it's your male BB you're interested in breeding, but you have to think about the welfare of the bitch as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Nino Brown wrote: »
    If your family wants bulldogs, and you want pups why don;t you or somebody else in your family get a bitch?

There is far more to breeding dogs then having a dog and bitch of the same breed. Those that just happen to breed two dogs of the same breed together are back yard breeders.

Bulldogs are also a very difficult dog to breed if you are not experienced. The bitches usually need a C. Section.

To the OP if you think your bulldog is good enough to breed from I suggest you start off by having your dog health tested for breed relevant issues. However unless he is an excellent example of the breed you may not have many people looking to use him.

Also using a pet dog just the once at stud can make a dog more difficult to handle as he will want to get to more bitches.

boomerang wrote: »
    I do understand that you want to breed for sentimental reasons, but if you'd seen the number of BBs coming into the vets with breathing problems, dermatitis and wonky elbows, hips and knees, I think you'd be reluctant. Your lad could be a healthy specimen, but how will you know definitively that the bitch is also? The pups are likely to inherit these issues.

Also, did you know that in most cases, British Bulldog bitches have to deliver by Caesarian section? It's very extreme. The poor dog has to get over a general anaesthetic, cope with the pain of the surgery, a big incision on her abdomen and still care for her newborns. The last BB that I helped through a Caesarian had ten pups and they all died shortly after birth. Most of them were water puppies.

If it were me, I wouldn't knowingly run the risk of putting any bitch through that. I know it's your male BB you're interested in breeding, but you have to think about the welfare of the bitch as well.

Yes, we were aware of the Caesarian section issue. But our guy was born naturally and he's actually quite small, he's only 17kg. Most BB's are at least 20.
    So I always thought this was another good reason to take the opportunity to breed.
    I guess I'm really looking for someone like ourselves, interested in breeding, with a bitch about the same age.

mickko wrote: »
    Yes, we were aware of the Caesarian section issue. But our guy was born naturally and he's actually quite small, he's only 17kg. Most BB's are at least 20.
    So I always thought this was another good reason to take the opportunity to breed.
    I guess I'm really looking for someone like ourselves, interested in breeding, with a bitch about the same age.

A 5 year old bulldog bitch is too old for her first litter.

It's the stud dog that's five, Knine.

boomerang wrote: »
    It's the stud dog that's five, Knine.

The OP said they wanted to breed with a bitch about the same age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

OP you need to contact the IKC and/or the BBD club of Ireland for advice. Your dog may not be suitable for breeding for a number of reasons. You will need hip scores, health checks etc before even considering getting into breeding.

Personally I think human intervention in the breed has gone beyond what is acceptable. If you look up the history of the breed it was more athletic and wih a more traditional frame. Just look up any old photographs or paintings featuring the dog. It looks closer to the American Bulldog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Contact the breeder that your bought your dog from, they should be willing to be your mentor, and go through everything with you,if they are a good breeder. Does your dog have endorsements on his papers?

ISDW wrote: »
    Contact the breeder that your bought your dog from, they should be willing to be your mentor, and go through everything with you,if they are a good breeder. Does your dog have endorsements on his papers?

Not sure what endorsements are, but on his Reg cert it just say "xxxxxx" under endorsements.

I think that means there aren't any.

Advertisement