Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Your Game Pixel / Art / Sprites?

• 19-05-2013 2:38am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what folks are working on, or maybe what you use (tool wise) when it comes to sprite work.

Spent a good while just tinkering around with Photoshop seeing as I don't think I can find any free-resources that I can use for a game I have in mind thus I get the feeling I'll need to make my own Graphics, so without any goal in mind I just booted up a 200x200 white page and started clicking.

I never was much good at general pixel art, I'm more an editor of existing images as opposed to 'make from scratch' type, but so far I managed to doodle this weird... Thing...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=789&pictureid=14836

Don't think it'll be used for anything so I guess I could just chuck it on Deviant Art or something, it's pretty bad.

Are there many out there who actually do this sort of thing properly? Beit hardcore hobby or even professionally? If I can't come up with satisfactory results myself, I may need to look outside of the box in terms of character design :confused:

Failing that, if you've made stuff for games (Or at least with games in mind, whether you used it or not) and have no shame showing it off, post it up, it might be useful to others or give people some ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only started doing pixel art when I started making my first game in january. Ends up I love doing it although I've a long way to go. I think everyone has seen my pictures of my stencyl project so I'll throw up some gifs of my last game I made in Corona.

254478.gif

254479.gif

254480.gif

254481.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

That's awesome! Wish I could do that!

Just give it a try, it takes a long time to do since you do have to create it pixel by pixel but I find the results look way better than photoshop art as I call it :) I never really did anything artistic so was surprised they turned out so well.

Look at some of the older pixel art for games like Chrono Trigger and you'll see that the whole thing is less is more. If you get the movement right your mind fills in the rest. Also shading is very important as well, check out how they do it in older games. Really you don't need an awful lot of detail, that's a big mistake to make and if your sprites are bigger than 64x64 you are doing something very wrong.

When you are doing sprites you might think it looks crap but you have to remember you'll be viewing it from close. Zoom out, defocus your eyes and you'll be surprised how the shading blends together to give more detail.

A good example is Lucca from Chrono Trigger:

chronotrigger.jpg

Up close she looks like a mess of pixels and you'll notice how few pixels are used. However in game when viewed from afar she looks very detailed.

Less is more and shading can give you more detail than actually creating it pixel by pixel. Your mind fills in the gaps better than you can draw it.

I use MS Paint myself, the latest version is great for it and then photoshop to make the pngs transparent. Unfortunately I've gone back to Windows XP which has a terrible version of MS Paint so I'm looking for a replacement and I just can't get to grips with Paint .NET and Gimp which were recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What I've done in the past is so something in a 3D package. Then clean it up in pixel editing package.

Its handy if you need multiple angles of something. I was doing it for isometric sprites. Long time ago though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

BostonB wrote: »
    What I've done in the past is so something in a 3D package. Then clean it up in pixel editing package.
    What 3d software did you use to do that?
    Ive been wondering if 3ds max/Blender might be used for that.

I was using 3D Studio as it was known in the day, the forerunner to 3DS Max http://ru-render.livejournal.com/106880.html Used to create an image with gridlines in it, then import it to the 3D app as a background. Then model over that. Render it out from a few angles. Then bring it into Deluxe Paint and clean it up/redraw it as clean pixels. or anti-aliased as suited. I had a look but I have no examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It is my aim to create a simple 2D game using as many of these as possible :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

It is my aim to create a simple 2D game using as many of these as possible :pac:
    jaysus mary and joseph..my fukking eyes are bleeding :eek:

I think that website came up on the coding horror thread in software development before !

Advertisement