Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Facebook taking over?

Options
  • 19-05-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 15 walkinggold

I got into a discussion this evening with a family friend about Facebook privacy. He swears up and down that employers can apply to the Dept. of Justice in order to gain FULL access to everyones Facebook accounts. I asked one of my friends about this and he said that he has also heard of employers doing this. I thought this was ridiculous, but after seriously thinking about it- I really am not so sure! How do we really know what Facebook is doing with our information? Who can really see it?

I think I am going to delete my Facebook account. I find that on nights out, people that I have never met come up to say hello to me because they 'recognise me from Facebook'. Today, I couldn't get into a bathroom in a pub for a full five minutes because there were a group of girls taking photos of themselves at the door to put up on Facebook. I found out some very upsetting news a few weeks ago from reading a Facebook post, something that should never have been even posted. Conversations are based around Facebook posts. I guess I just don't want my life to revolve around Facebook and I think that's the way most people seem to be heading.

Facebook is taking over.

Does anyone else share this view? Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

To be honest, I think that it has definately gone too far.

Or the people who are on it constantly and put up absolutely everything on it have gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Dont stop at deleting your account..burn the house down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

You know the way older people talk about smoking, we didn't know it was bad for us everyone was doing it. Privacy will be similar, the next generation will look at us saying how could you be so stupid giving away all that personal information to corporations for free.
    Purchasing anything online will come with a premium based on the data given away to social media like facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He swears up and down that employers can apply to the Dept. of Justice in order to gain FULL access to everyones Facebook accounts. I asked one of my friends about this and he said that he has also heard of employers doing this.

A tall tale OP, friend of a friend story. No truth to that.
    It's hard enough to get a reply from a government department, they aren't involved in anyone's facebook account.

Searches are done on interview candidates though.
    Next time you do an interview and the interviewer likes you and may make an offer a couple of minutes will be spent looking for online accounts.
    Just using your name, dob, email address and different things through google

No big deal. Photos of your nights out are normal and won't cost you a job offer.

You should have a special email address for your job hunting anyway. Use it for that and nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Facebook's a world wide phenomenon and nobody ever put a gun to anybody' s head and said '' hey you...set up a FB account ...now '' and if it really bothered you that much you would already have deleted your account .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I reckon Bebo will be making a come back any day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

'Like'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Facespace or arsebook is where it's at :cool:

Oh gawd no ... the feds will have a field day in there if they do :pac:

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

:)

bck on bebo with me ppls. lovin da bants

K thks bye xoxoxo :P:):D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I got into a discussion this evening with a family friend about Facebook privacy. He swears up and down that employers can apply to the Dept. of Justice in order to gain FULL access to everyones Facebook accounts.

A company has no rights to to apply for access to your account nevermind through a government department. Don't be a silly billy.

If your account is open on the other hand that means HR can search for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The KGB and CIA could only have dreamed of the information people will freely give up in the pursuit of being loved and in touch with people they'll never see again.

Fools and their privacy are easily parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Social media is a scurge, every dumbass has a vehicle to publicise themselves. I preferred the days when they couldn't afford or even turn on computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

A company has no rights to to apply for access to your account nevermind through a government department. Don't be a silly billy.

If your account is open on the other hand that means HR can search for you.

If you just keep your privacy settings tight then companies won't be able to access more than your profile picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The KGB and CIA could only have dreamed of the information people will freely give up in the pursuit of being loved and in touch with people they'll never see again.

Fools and their privacy are easily parted.

Are there any guards about Chuck? I need to go down the town to buy yokes and I've no tax on me car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Don't have Facebook, never have. The info some people give out on it and other sites is unbelievable. Even on here people post pictures of themselves as well as posting really personal information. I don't get it.

KGB and CIA must be as boring as the world news media that feed us the daily junk that is supposedly ' news ' ... sure the planets fcuked anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mikemac1 wrote: »
    :)

bck on bebo with me ppls. lovin da bants

K thks bye xoxoxo :P:):D:cool:

Add me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you just keep your privacy settings tight then companies won't be able to access more than your profile picture.

Problem is they keep changing those settings to catch you out. They also seem to drag information from other sources. I don't use my real info anywhere. But FB has managed to grab it from other sources over time. Perhaps someone else had correct details on their phone for me, name, birthday etc, and at some, FB reconciled it with my account. Only that I check my profile from a different profile I'd never have spotted it.

Its an identity thief's gold mine. Or even just a regular thief's.

I'm "friends" with my mother and some of my aunts and uncles. This has become a pretty good filter for me, because I won't allow anything on my page that I wouldn't want any of them to see. Up until recently, I would never have a photo of myself as my profile picture. Regularly I check the privacy settings, just to make sure how little is searchable from non-friend users.

Sometimes I find it insane when I click into someone's profile that I'm not friends with and how much information is viewable!

As for jobs - Make sure things like Twitter and Facebook are largely blocked from public searches, if your job requests that you become "friends" with them, as I have heard happen, then make sure you have separate public and personal ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

if your job requests that you become "friends" with them, as I have heard happen, then make sure you have separate public and personal ones.
    I'd just tell them Im not on FB or twitter or whatever.

If you're not the customer,you're the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Don't have facebook, don't need facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I lock mine down as much as possible. Even so, there's nothing really on it that would be embarrassing or whatever
    I don't think any of my friends post much rubbish or obsess about anything posted, it's still real world for the most part

They can't ask for access or require it. Of course, there are people who insist that there are ways and means, maybe there are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Popular Hardback

I don't use face or arse book, never mind titter or whatever it is

One of my life's ambitions is to be able to get rid of my email, my mobile phone, and my watch / clock. Unfortunately for work I have to use them, but someday . . .

It's time people started to set themselves free

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hide in the noise :pac:

By law ISPs here must keep long term records of your traffic.

Your mobile phone tracks you and putting together a list of people you call and hang out near is trivial. And by law phone companies must keep long term... you get the idea.

cba looking it up , but is there a way in facebook to block multiple shares from some people, but leave in their original content ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingsenny

bluewolf wrote: »
    I lock mine down as much as possible. Even so, there's nothing really on it that would be embarrassing or whatever
    I don't think any of my friends post much rubbish or obsess about anything posted, it's still real world for the most part

They can't ask for access or require it. Of course, there are people who insist that there are ways and means, maybe there are

There are means. If people really wanted your information, it isn't that hard to hack school records, phone records, etc. Unless you live in a hut in a forest, you're never really gonna be completely safe.

Saying that, just tighten your privacy settings and you'll be fine. A few drunk pictures never cost anyone a job offer (unless you were fairly **** to begin with).

Apart from a sex tape and/or a criminal record, I'm sure you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I've seen friends or mine breakup because of it, people in rooms using it when they're supposed to be chatting to the other people that's with them... people sneaking away to use it...

Kinda like using drugs isn't it in a way?

Biggest waste of time out there now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bluewolf wrote: »

Same, my profile pic is never of myself, my friends list is hidden, people can't post on my wall, i have to approve everything i'm tagged in, low enough friends list, rarely post statuses unless its a link to a video or new article or something.

Facebook is what you make it, i find it handy for it being a one stop for different sites that have a facebook equivalent so instead of logging into 4 or 5 sites pages their newest stories are all on me newsfeed, and for keeping in contact with people who live abroad, thats about it really. I have only a few pics of myself on there, you'd click into some peoples page and their life story is there to be seen, crazyness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Lets be honest here, the vast majority of people are using FB when in work & their work has to be effected by this.

Lads in my place are getting warnings for overuse of their phone & rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

krudler wrote: »
    Same, my profile pic is never of myself, my friends list is hidden, people can't post on my wall, i have to approve everything i'm tagged in, low enough friends list, rarely post statuses unless its a link to a video or new article or something.

Facebook is what you make it, i find it handy for it being a one stop for different sites that have a facebook equivalent so instead of logging into 4 or 5 sites pages their newest stories are all on me newsfeed, and for keeping in contact with people who live abroad, thats about it really. I have only a few pics of myself on there, you'd click into some peoples page and their life story is there to be seen, crazyness.

+1, and I have my information very limited. Location is set only to the county, no employment history, no college history etc. Dont see the need for all of that if its you're mates on there, they should know it or if they want to know they will ask.

FB is one website I don't have much trust in tbh.

Advertisement