Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like have the right to own a handgun in Ireland?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Grayson wrote: »
    More security then. Don't have them in rural areas. Like I said, it may well increase the price. But using guns for sport is a priviledge and as such any conditions can be placed on it.

If nothing has never happened in so many years with them stored where they are why would you change it?

Its never going to happen.

Yeah that didnt stop guns getting robbed from shops in the middle of towns. Happened recently even.
    There's only so much security you can have short of hiring 20 armed Detectives to surround the building 24-7..

Yeah shur lob a range in the middle of a town why dont we.. You do realise the size of a range.. Is there anywhere in dublin city we could fit midlands 1000m range with all the safety requirement and safe backstops needed?

Im sure people wont mind the noise either..

Luckily the people applying the conditions have more sense and logic than you to know it wouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

garv123 wrote: »

Yeah shur lob a range in the middle of a town why dont we.. You do realise the size of a range.. Is there anywhere in dublin city we could fit midlands 1000m range with all the safety requirement and safe backstops needed?

You'll have to explain what a backstop is. And berms. And a safe area. And range officers. And showing clear etc etc etc. There are a lot of people on here who don't have a notion about shooting and the safety systems that are already in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Luckily the people applying the conditions have more sense and logic than you to know it wouldn't make a difference.

Seriously, stop with the cheap insults. I've been polite and I'm just discussing a point. I haven't called you any names or insinuated you're stupid. Despite a previous accusation leveled at me that I appear to have a personal grudge, it appears that simply discussing the storage of firearms is being taken as a personal insult.
    If nothing has never happened in so many years with them stored where they are why would you change it?

Its never going to happen.

Yeah that didnt stop guns getting robbed from shops in the middle of towns. Happened recently even.
    There's only so much security you can have short of hiring 20 armed Detectives to surround the building 24-7..

Im sure people wont mind the noise either..

So my point, that having guns stored a central safe location isn't true? They'd actually be more likely to be stolen the more security that is placed on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Ok, I'll withdraw the grudge remark. I don't agree with your rational thought process though. If my sporting equipment isn't being used to commit a crime, or being misused in any way, then why do you have a problem with it being kept in my home?

So you think my argument is weak because I mention the Gardaí? The body in charge of the licencing of firearms, responsible for law and order in the community? As a law abiding firearms holder, I most definitely care what the Gardaí think.

And indeed, the government don't make target shooting cheap.

On your secure storage location. Do you reckon having a building in a town kitted out so that we can store our guns there is a good idea? Where the general public can see us going in, collecting our firearms and then heading back to our cars and then driving to the range.

Surely that isn't safer than me going from my own home, getting into my car with my pistol in the bag and driving to the range? Nobody knows I have the pistol.

The BS thing in the other post is BS7558. BS stands for British Standard. Which means "not a sh1te safe".

The Gardai thing is because simply stating that the Gardai believe xxxxx is not an argument. Stating why they believe it may be (If their reasons make sense) but not just stating that they believe it.

Are there any laws stating that ranges must be a certain distance from towns?

And even then, why not just have it close by. Say within a mile or two?

And finally. Surely with enough alarms/cameras and a solid enough store room, the weapons would be safe?

PS. Thanks for the apology. And I knew what BS stood for. Hense the winky smiley.

Seriously, stop with the cheap insults. I've been polite and I'm just discussing a point. I haven't called you any names or insinuated you're stupid. Despite a previous accusation leveled at me that I appear to have a personal grudge, it appears that simply discussing the storage of firearms is being taken as a personal insult.

So my point, that having guns stored a central safe location isn't true? They'd actually be more likely to be stolen the more security that is placed on them?

I wouldn't consider saying someone involved in making the laws of firearms has more sense about the matter an insult. And where did I make an accusation about a personal grudge? :confused:

Well no it couldn't be any safer because no handguns have being robbed and used in a crime before :confused: Which clearly shows theres nothing wrong with the way it is

It would make it easier for them to be stolen all together because they would know where each is stored. Having them at home means someone would have to find out said person has one and then find plan out how to steal it and if successful would only end up with 1.

• Advertisement

The Gardai thing is because simply stating that the Gardai believe xxxxx is not an argument. Stating why they believe it may be (If their reasons make sense) but not just stating that they believe it.

The Gardai think it's a bad idea because all the guns held in one location make it a very attractive target for bad guys.

Are there any laws stating that ranges must be a certain distance from towns?

And even then, why not just have it close by. Say within a mile or two?
    There are no laws but common sense must prevail. Guns are loud. You don't want guns going off if you live near a range. Secondly, you need a lot of land for a range. Maybe 1300 yards as the MNSCI have, plus other land for ancillary things such as training rooms, toilets etc. You also need a backstop. That's basically a huge hill to catch the bullets should one go astray. If you lived near a range, you wouldn't be happy with a huge pile of clay and sand erected near your house.

And finally. Surely with enough alarms/cameras and a solid enough store room, the weapons would be safe?

I have this at home already.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

I'm talking about being able to own a handgun (not an assault rifle) and being able to buy one and keep it at home without having to be licensed.
    Actually you can, just get one illegally. They're easy to get. Just don't tell the Guards. :P The country is awash with illegal firearms.

Failing that get an airsoft pistol. They're legal and great fun. You can get drunk on beer and shoot the empty beer cans inside the house without terrifying the neighbours or making holes in the wall. What the wife says is entirely another matter. You can also get assault rifles should you so wish.

We should be able to own handguns in this country. The gun laws are ludicrous and based on the American situation which bears no resemblance to our situation. There are I believe over a quarter of a million legally owned guns in this country. Yet crime with legally held guns is almost non existent.

What about if you're the owner of the range where everything is stored and said thieves turn up at your place with a gun pointed at your family..

All the alarms and cameras wont be enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

What about if you're the owner of the range where everything is stored and said thieves turn up at your place with a gun pointed at your family..

All the alarms and cameras wont be enough then.
    You've clearly never heard of monitored alarms have you? :rolleyes:

asdfg! wrote: »

A gun pointed at your family and you tend not to set off the alarm.

• Advertisement

asdfg! wrote: »

well the idea of getting the owner at gunpoint would be so he disables the alarm :rolleyes:

Cos thats never happened before?

All these posts about security when the security of firearms isn't the issue.

The issue is illegal guns coming in with drugs shipments. That's what's fuelling the gangland hits, not lads stealing Pardini's used for Olympic style events.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    All these posts about security when the security of firearms isn't the issue.

The issue is illegal guns coming in with drugs shipments. That's what's fuelling the gangland hits, not lads stealing Pardini's used for Olympic style events.

Hey you, come closer and stop moving.. I cant risk not hitting you in the vitals with my 5 shot .22

Hey you, come closer and stop moving.. I cant risk not hitting you in the vitals with my 5 shot .22

Yeah, or I'll come back at you with my "Colt Glock AR15 Double Barrelled Shotgun Assault Weapon". :D (as used in many hits according to the media)

Advertisement