Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightning fried my tv?

• 19-05-2013 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

The Lightning storm on Friday knocked out my UPC,I think it fried the flat screen and UPC box in the bedroom,the red light comes on on the Samsung flat screen but won't turn on.the UPC doesn't seen to be working either,I changed fuses in both plugs but no joy,
    Is it worth bringing the tv to a shop,it's only a year old or is it ruined?,is there anything else I can try ?
    Any help would be appreciated
    -P_o_s_t_y

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    The Lightning storm on Friday knocked out my UPC,I think it fried the flat screen and UPC box in the bedroom,the red light comes on on the Samsung flat screen but won't turn on.the UPC doesn't seen to be working either,I changed fuses in both plugs but no joy,
    Is it worth bringing the tv to a shop,it's only a year old or is it ruined?,is there anything else I can try ?
    Any help would be appreciated
    -P_o_s_t_y

From your description the TV has probably blown a capacitor. I fixed something similar on my own tv recently if you're anyway handy its an easy enough fix. Tv repair shop will probably charge you 200-300 to repair a €1 capacitor. It may have blown one of the fuses either there's a number of them in there.

If you or someone you know can open the back of the tv you can test the fuses with a meter or alternatively look for blown or bulging capacitors. Power off and unplug tv before any of the above.

As for the UPC box call UPC and tel them it's shagged and you need a replacement.

Where are you based someone on here might take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

Thanks for your help,I'm based in Feerybank,Co.Waterford

Ah if you were around Wicklow area I could've taken a look. If you check out a few clips on youtube you'll get an idea what to look for just be careful when poking about at the boards the bigger capacitors can hold a charge. It's worth a quick look either way you'll get an idea of what's gone there's a number pf screws holding the rear plastics on.

If you do have to get it repaired at a shop. Drop it off because if they have to collect they charge quite a bit as 2 people are required to pick up the tv. Is it an LED,LCD or Plasma. You could probably claim for it on your house insurance.

Good Luck with it and let us know how you get on.

It's a 32 inch Samsung LCD,my brother in law knows a lot of lads who have trades,he might know an electrician to help me out,I'll have a look on YouTube too just out of curiosity
    Thanks again

Ah you should be right so. It's just a matter of going through all the components but if it is a blown cap it's an easy fix for an electrician soldering Iron and order another cap on ebay you'll probably get 5 for €5.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

This is what the board looks like with the back off the tv,is it worth fixing or beyond repair,I can see a few capacitors blown and that white goo seems to be all over it,what do u think?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

This is what the board looks like with the back off the tv,is it worth fixing or beyond repair,I can see a few capacitors blown and that white goo seems to be all over it,what do u think?
    Thanks in advance

Can you circle the ones that are blown? I can't see any that look blown or bulged in those images. I wouldn't worry about the white goo, its most likely silicone to keep some of the components steady.
    The first thing I'd check is the fuse above the 3-pin mains connector in the bottom left.

Thanks in advance

The white goo is probably just glue the used in the factory. Is it wet to touch or just rubbery like dried glue?

It'd be worth trying to replace the capacitors if you see some blown they're very cheap and it's worth a shot. It can start getting expensive if some of the boards are blown.

If the white stuff is just silicone it might hopefully be the fuse,I had mistaken the goo as coming from somewhere,it doesn't look like any of the capacitors are bulging or busted,I have no idea of electronics so sorry for the lack of knowledge,I'll get a fuse today and c what happens cheers

If the white stuff is just silicone it might hopefully be the fuse,I had mistaken the goo as coming from somewhere,it doesn't look like any of the capacitors are bulging or busted,I have no idea of electronics so sorry for the lack of knowledge,I'll get a fuse today and c what happens cheers

Probably a fuse so although if it were the power board fuse you probably wouldn't have a red light on, so it may be one of the others.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks I'll have a look and try find the rest,should they look the same as a normal plug fuse?

Ok thanks I'll have a look and try find the rest,should they look the same as a normal plug fuse?

Yeah they'll look the same but they'll be slightly smaller and have a different rating than a plug fuse 13Amps. There should be one on each board it's been a while since I've repaired one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Those pictures don't show any damage at all but it would be worthwhile having a look at the copper side to check for burnt tracks just to be sure. UNPLUG THE SET BEFORE DOING THIS !!! That board can seriously harm your health, especially if there's no load to drain away the main smoothing caps.

Personally I'd be checking elsewhere for damage which may or may not be visible. The reason:-

If there's no antenna plugged into the TV then the most likely path for any static is via the UPC cable > UPC box (hence it's demise)> SCART or HDMI connector (whichever the UPC box is connected to) > Signals board on TV > GROUND. Look for charring on the main PCB in the area of the connectors or where they connect to the main board. Or worse still for any I.C's that may be cracked or have lost their heads.

Ken

Thanks Ken,I didn't get a chance today to get a fuse but I'll get 1 tomorrow,it doesn't look like its damaged anywhere but in saying that I don't know what I'm looking for,I rang a guy who fixes tv's and he said €60 to have a look and extra if its damaged,so I'll check what u said,then a fuse and then if needs be pay the guy,
    Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, how did you finish up with this problem?
    I'm interested as I have a problem with a Samsung LE32A switching off randomly.

Tv is still in the shop,he's waiting to get a main board from England,should have it back next wk

Advertisement