Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Day of the Season

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Oo Gareth

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Amazing goal from Bale there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bale with another beauty of a goal.

5-5 at West brom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

World class finish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

"Andy Carroll. We want you to stay" blaring out from West Ham fans.

Why do defenders not just show Bale down the line? I really don't get why they let him get on his right foot.

EDIT: Meant left foot obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Possibly Bale's last act in a Spurs shirt? Arsenal hold on to win 1-0 and claim the 4th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"Andy Carroll. We want you to stay" blaring out from West Ham fans.

Ye can have him :pac:

There's something not right about a team and their fans celebrating finishing 4th.

Yes I know it's CL football and all that goes with it but it's not like it's a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kfallon wrote: »

There's something not right about a team and their fans celebrating finishing 4th.

Yes I know it's CL football and all that goes with it but it's not like it's a trophy.

Thats modern football for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Why do defenders not just show Bale down the line? I really don't get why they let him get on his right foot.

In fairness the player marking him was trying to usher him out wide, but he shifted it too quick onto his left foot and blasted it, cracking strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's bizarre.

It's like when players show Valencia down the line instead of inside.

In fairness the player marking him was trying to usher him out wide, but he shifted it too quick onto his left foot and blasted it, cracking strike.

The only way he should be able to shift it to his left is if it means he's then facing his own goals.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Thats modern football for ya!

True! And if it was Liverpool finishing 4th I'd be delighted.

Just seems that it's Premier League and Champions League these days and the likes of FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League are seen as just an inconvenience to some.

Bale transfer rumours now begin in earnest

Spurs finish only 3 points off 3rd but yet the season has to be classed as a failure with no Champions League after looking like they'd get it for so long. Crazy season.

• Advertisement

And it was an 18 year old kid who was caught in the headlights given it was his first senior appearance. Great goal, Bale was just too quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

kfallon wrote: »

Thought I was the only one who felt like that.

I think it's rather embarrassing and it shows a clear lack of ambition.

I can understand why the club thinks CL football is great, since it brings in huge amounts of cash every time.
    But to actually celebrate being 4th best ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Paully D wrote: »
    Spurs finish only 3 points off 3rd but yet the season has to be classed as a failure with no Champions League after looking like they'd get it for so long. Crazy season.

Also a record pts total for Spurs and any other year 72 pts get 4th. Spurs are cursed. Bale will stay though. Will sign a new contract in a week or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one who felt like that.

I think it's rather embarrassing and it shows a clear lack of ambition.

I can understand why the club thinks CL football is great, since it brings in huge amounts of cash every time.
    But to actually celebrate being 4th best ?

Celebrating winning the game, finishing above their biggest rivals, achieving the only goal they had left to achieve with 10 games to go and a goal that looked really unlikely. Of course they are going to celebrate, Walcott and Koscienly were also quick to point out that its not enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Setanta's closing montage reminded me of Harte falling over. Moment of the season..

• Advertisement

"Thank you Rafa, we forgive you" said one placard at 'The Bridge'

I think that's more insulting tbh......what are they forgiving him for? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

AdamD wrote: »
    Celebrating winning the game, finishing above their biggest rivals, achieving the only goal they had left to achieve with 10 games to go and a goal that looked really unlikely. Of course they are going to celebrate, Walcott and Koscienly were also quick to point out that its not enough.

I can't help but feel that this is always the only true goal of Arsenal.

Sure, there will be talk of a Cup or whatever, but in the end it'll always boil down to 'Getting 4th will be great'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Big question now, will Michael McMullan survive now that his reason for living is over until August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's absolutely retarded how so many teams haven't figured out how to keep Bale on his right foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Playboy wrote: »
    Also a record pts total for Spurs and any other year 72 pts get 4th. Spurs are cursed. Bale will stay though. Will sign a new contract in a week or two

Well it's a failure in the grand scheme of things as Champions League qualification was the main objective. I don't know why you think Bale will sign a new deal? Surely a guy with ambitions like himself should be looking to play permanently in the Champions League and win trophies; Neither of which Spurs can offer him and to be brutal they don't look like offering him. He might stay at Spurs but I doubt he's going to tie himself to a new deal. It wouldn't be in his best interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chelsea have a ridiculous talent in lukaku, should be leading the line from the off next next season. Add courtois in too and a few signings amd they could well win the league next season.

Arsenal players celebrating today.

484479_10152836675470541_1839117141_n.jpg

Surely the FA could organise some sort of trophy for 4th spot

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's absolutely retarded how so many teams haven't figured out how to keep Bale on his right foot.

Yup, always has me shaking my head. Robben is another one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jesus christ, what's wrong with celebrating achieving an objective that they had to fight hard for? If Spurs or Everton had done it I'm sure people wouldn't have had any problem with them celebrating. People are so fucking bitter.

Yeah yeah yeah it's not a trophy and it's only 4th place etc etc but you can't easily remove yourself from the moment where you have just gone on a great streak to finish the season, achieve the realistic goal of the team atm in relation to the teams that finished above them, and finish ahead of their local rivals on the last day of the season from being 7 points behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Was there a fan boycott at The Ethiad today?

• Advertisement

Jesus christ, what's wrong with celebrating achieving an objective that they had to fight hard for? If Spurs or Everton had done it I'm sure people wouldn't have had any problem with them celebrating. People are so fucking bitter.

Yeah yeah yeah it's not a trophy and it's only 4th place etc etc but you can't easily remove yourself from the moment where you have just gone on a great streak to finish the season, achieve the realistic goal of the team atm in relation to the teams that finished above them, and finish ahead of their local rivals on the last day of the season from being 7 points behind them.

Get a technician out to fix that detector ;)

The difference is the level of expectation. Arsenal are expected to do better than scraping 4th. Those players will never achieve better because of their mentality tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Well it's a failure in the grand scheme of things as Champions League qualification was the main objective. I don't know why you think Bale will sign a new deal? Surely a guy with ambitions like himself should be looking to play permanently in the Champions League and win trophies; Neither of which Spurs can offer him and to be brutal they don't look like offering him. He might stay at Spurs but I doubt he's going to tie himself to a new deal. It wouldn't be in his best interests.

Even if they qualified for the Champions League this year and the next, I still can't see him staying, if he went to Real etc he'd be in with a chance of winning it, staying at Spurs just to qualify and maybe make it past the group stages is probably not in his interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Yup, always has me shaking my head. Robben is another one too.

Robben fools the footballing world by not cutting inside:

ibx1eJ00X2zCuT.gif

The difference is the level of expectation. Arsenal are expected to do better than scraping 4th. Those players will never achieve better because of their mentality tbh.

They were 7 points off Spurs after the derby then proceeded to win 8 and draw 2 of their next 10 games. Poor mentality.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Robben fools the footballing world by not cutting inside:

ibx1eJ00X2zCuT.gif

They were 7 points off Spurs after the derby then proceeded to win 8 and draw 2 of their next 10 games. Poor mentality.

That game was set in the Twilight Zone. Sure, himself and Ribery tracked back. Says it all :pac:

If they got their heads right from the start of the season, they wouldnt have been 7 points behind Spurs and their manager looking at the sack for months. Yes, poor mentality and the cobwebs in their trophy cabinet backs that assessment up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I get what you mean historically, however do you really think it's expected that Arsenal would finish ahead of United Chelsea and City this season considering the additional financial investment they have had in their teams over recent seasons?

With a bit of luck this summer will see more investment in the Arsenal team which will be more expected to achieve better than 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Standard of the goal of the season on Match of the Day was so low there. The 2 Van Persie goals the best 2 while probably not enough to win many other leagues. Not a great season for goals.

CSF wrote: »
    Standard of the goal of the season on Match of the Day was so low there. The 2 Van Persie goals the best 2 while probably not enough to win many other leagues. Not a great season for goals.

Suarez against Newcastle was top drawer too. Also Vaughan vs Newcastle. Surprised they weren't included.

• Advertisement

Sure was. An outrageous bit of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Paully D wrote: »
    Suarez against Newcastle was top drawer too. Also Vaughan vs Newcastle. Surprised they weren't included.

it was because they took each Goal of the Month only.

Suarez v Newcastle was very noticeable by its absence.

as was that ridiculous Cameron Jerome 30 yard top corner half-volley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The RVP goal was great but I thought the Everton team goal should have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel that this is always the only true goal of Arsenal.

Sure, there will be talk of a Cup or whatever, but in the end it'll always boil down to 'Getting 4th will be great'.

I personally disagree with what your saying. However its still a higher goal than the majority of the Premier League, 16 other teams in the league didnt have a higher goal than this. I want Arsenal to win trophies and this season wasnt good enough overall, but I wouldnt swap positions with Wigan, Birmingham and Swansea who have all won trophies in the last few seasons.

Premier League and Champions League are the two trophies that i really want, love to win an FA cup or League cup, however not at the expense of Champions league football. Might seem sad, but thats modern football for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Just realised that Norwich finished three points worse off but a place higher than last season.

Really do liek to see Hughton succeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Arsenal players celebrating today.

484479_10152836675470541_1839117141_n.jpg

Surely the FA could organise some sort of trophy for 4th spot

Anybody able to photoshop Terry into that pic?

:cool: :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement