Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for Gardai to be given drones to help fight crime in Ennis

• 19-05-2013 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

An Ennis Councillor has suggested that unmanned drones be flown over Ennis as part of a pilot program aimed at tackling crime. What are your thoughts? I think the Camera system in town has been a great asset, and this would be the next logical step, but is it taking it one step too far?link

Now before anyone starts thinking of bombing raids in Afghanistan, we are talking something similar to this one for birdwatching

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Unmanned drones. Unbrained Councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm actually embarrassed at the sheer stupiditiy of the suggestion. Some things make me cringe to be Irish, that suggestion is one to add to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Oh forget about those wimpy little copter thingies ...... this is what they need ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fdyUk5bfF8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

I'm actually embarrassed at the sheer stupiditiy of the suggestion. Some things make me cringe to be Irish, that suggestion is one to add to the list.

which councillor came up with this jem?(should have read link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Make It Happen 968

johnam wrote: »
    An Ennis Councillor has suggested that unmanned drones be flown over Ennis as part of a pilot program aimed at tackling crime. What are your thoughts? I think the Camera system in town has been a great asset, and this would be the next logical step, but is it taking it one step too far?link

Now before anyone starts thinking of bombing raids in Afghanistan, we are talking something similar to this one for birdwatching

What about garda actually walking about the town instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You would be talking about exactly what they use in Afghanistan ,
    They would be an amazing tool for the gardai and council's alike ,
    Think you have a drone patrolling over your rural town somebody reports suspicious activity at a property or business drone can be sent to the location and maintain surveillance over suspicious people or vehicle's until the Gardai can arrive ,
    For councils having to deal with illegal dumping or anti social behavior could use a drone to gather evidence or area's affected ,
    Police forces in the UK and the north are trialling surveillance drones as we speak ,
    3/4 drones per county would be a huge asset to all ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Gatling wrote: »
    Think you have a drone patrolling over your rural town somebody reports suspicious activity at a property or business drone can be sent to the location and maintain surveillance over suspicious people or vehicle's until the Gardai can arrive ,
    For councils having to deal with illegal dumping or anti social behavior could use a drone to gather evidence or area's affected ,
    Police forces in the UK and the north are trialling surveillance drones as we speak ,

I can only hope no-one ever takes your opinions seriously.

taytothief wrote: »
    I can only hope no-one ever takes your opinions seriously.

And why not care to elaborate

The biggest proble for garda in my opinion is the criminal gangs running amok for the last 10 to 15 years especially in dublin. I think this is where resources should be focussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I still can't see how such a thing would work. Unless we have something like the minority report the drones would be limited.

If dumping was to take place let's say out the Quinn rd by the time the drones got out there culprit could be gone

Their probably only as good as the cameras that are already located in the town. What u need is the gards out driving the perimeter of the town to be in far better chance to be closer to any incident rather than a station burried in the middle of the town sitting at a desk looking pretty. Even though at doing that they would probably still be as far away from the incident as ever.

So no can't see drones working although give the lad with the idea some wings might make a grand drone.

• Advertisement

Actually this is another example of how inept councillers are and how little value they provide, healy rae also had some genius ideas in recent months, if this is the kind of thing they discuss at council meetings, are they even needed at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Actually this is another example of how inept councillers are and how little value they provide, healy rae also had some genius ideas in recent months, if this is the kind of thing they discuss at council meetings, are they even needed at all?

The sad part is that they (apparently) represent the public's democratic choice of representative .....

.... maybe democracy is overrated .....

And why not care to elaborate

BIG BROTHER !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

its not drones they need, its the apache (gunship)

The sad part is that they (apparently) represent the public's democratic choice of representative .....

.... maybe democracy is overrated .....

It seems in democracy, politics does not attract the best people. The majority of recent leaders seem intent on lining their own pockets and engaging in short termism to keep themselves in power for as long as possible, at the expense of the good of the nation.

Jhcx wrote: »
    I still can't see how such a thing would work. Unless we have something like the minority report the drones would be limited.

If dumping was to take place let's say out the Quinn rd by the time the drones got out there culprit could be gone

Their probably only as good as the cameras that are already located in the town. What u need is the gards out driving the perimeter of the town to be in far better chance to be closer to any incident rather than a station burried in the middle of the town sitting at a desk looking pretty. Even though at doing that they would probably still be as far away from the incident as ever.

So no can't see drones working although give the lad with the idea some wings might make a grand drone.

A drone can fly and loiter for up to 10+ hours over a broad area using HD imaging and FLIR infrared cameras ,remember its not to replace a guard and a car it would be an assistant to the guards ,
    Or again say fly tipping being able use surveillance from a drone that can record vehicle's and or person's near 24 hours ,
    The same can apply to fisheries patrols of rivers and lakes or on land being used by game poachers the application's are endless

pilate 1 wrote: »
    BIG BROTHER !

If you own a smart phone that null and voids your argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Half the crime in Ennis would be over if a certain few cúnts were dealt with properly by the courts..

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Like I said earlier, I believe the cameras they already have in town have been a huge help, however the fact that you can run down a lane and disappear from them is a major disadvantage. (Saying that I have personally followed a thief around town while talking to the gardai on my mobile, and they were able to follow him just as easily as I could, until their car arrived).

The place where I would see these drones being of use is not for illegal dumping, this is the councils problem in my opinion, but in the case of a suspected criminal making a run for it and heading out of the area cover by the cameras. Just imagine how successful the cameras would be if instead of being mounted 20 foot up a pole, they were able to fly around to get a better angle, or follow a suspect. Also in the case where major trouble is occurring in one area, it would be useful to be able to divert cameras away from the quiet areas to provide secondary cover in the trouble spot.

I think drones will be in widespread use at some point, why not be proactive and introduce them in Ennis first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

these guy's cant even organize a proper paddy's day parade, let alone the idiotic notion that was suggested in the op by that councilor

If people got proper sentencing in this country it'd be a good start to our problems, but unfortunately the scummers get away with murder, pun intended :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This will not go ahead because of lack of funds. It won't happen any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The biggest issue of course would be the fact how exactly do they expect to plan flight patterns being directly in the path of Shannon Airport? They don't seem to be taking the fact drones need approved flight patterns and free airspace to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

CptSternn wrote: »
    The biggest issue of course would be the fact how exactly do they expect to plan flight patterns being directly in the path of Shannon Airport? They don't seem to be taking the fact drones need approved flight patterns and free airspace to operate.

These drones are not big enough to affect shannon, I also doubt they would be flying high enough. Have a look at youtube for a quadrotor. That is the size of the things. As I said earlier a few of these based strategically around the town would enable the Gardai to follow suspects until a squad car could get to the area to pick the susects up.

These drones are not big enough to affect shannon, I also doubt they would be flying high enough. Have a look at youtube for a quadrotor. That is the size of the things. As I said earlier a few of these based strategically around the town would enable the Gardai to follow suspects until a squad car could get to the area to pick the susects up.

lads this thread is becoming sillier!our force cant keep the cars running due to funding issues let alone sending them out after drones:rolleyes:

The the of drones used for surveillance would be fairly large them Quadrotor's are basic hobby type R/C toys that are controlled from iphones 's and would be useless in then rain and windy conditions ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Well this is the air drone plane police in america will probably be using as it can stay in the air for 24 hours...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Security cameras on the streets of Ennis - great idea! Putting up signs on the approach roads to the town announcing the presence of the cameras - great idea! Thieves will just avoid the town center and target some other area - brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Think it's a bit much really. Camera phones are one thing but I don't think we all need 24/7 surveillance over our houses quite yet. People have some right to privacy and we shouldn't go eroding those rights when it's not necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

what next...they'll be calling for a monorail !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish_Style

I can picture the drones lined up outside supermacs waiting to collect dinner for the lads! The very notion of using drones as a tool is a clear indication of the level of delusion that is out there. A desperate measure if you ask me. Drone = Flying scrap metal!

Advertisement