Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing family

• 19-05-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My ggrandaunt Mgt Ryan married Ml Kirk in 1865 (Tipperary). I am going to order the marriage cert.
    They had 5 children that I know about:-
    Michael 1865
    Johanna 1867
    Maria 1869
    Bridget 1871
    Margaret 1875
    They were baptised in Glenroe & Ballyorgan Church, Co. Limerick.

I found many Petty Sessions records of a Michael Kirk(Quirke), 5'9.½" born c1835 Glenroe/Darragh in Kilfinane. He is charged with various crimes eg assault in 1858 (3 weeks, HL), assault in 1877 (1 month), sheep stealing in 1879 (discharged), taking illegal possession of a house in 1880 (discharged), assault & attempted murder in 1880 (discharged), stealing a cow in 1880 (18 months in Cork jail). Son Michael was also charged with assault in 1880.

I can't locate them on either census nor find any death records for any of the family.

RootsIreland is showing a death/burial of a Johanna in 1868 but that is in the parish of Abbeyfeale. There is no baptism record for Michael born 1835 ±10 yrs in Limerick but some in Cork and no marriage records for any of the children in Co. Limerick.

My interest is in what happened to the children. They could have changed their name to Quirke, they could have immigrated.............

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,

My ggrandaunt Mgt Ryan married Ml Kirk in 1865 (Tipperary). I am going to order the marriage cert.
    They had 5 children that I know about:-
    Michael 1865
    Johanna 1867
    Maria 1869
    Bridget 1871
    Margaret 1875
    They were baptised in Glenroe & Ballyorgan Church, Co. Limerick.

I can't locate them on either census nor find any death records for any of the family.

My interest is in what happened to the children. They could have immigrated.............

Did you find any marriage records for the 4 daughters? So as to ascertain their change in name, and then search for them Re children, deaths, census etc.

As for there being no sign of Michael after 1880 - have you searched in other counties? Your post mentions Tipperary, Limerick and Cork.

He or indeed all of them could well have emigrated, it's certainly one possibility. Have you tried records in Scotland, England & Wales, Canada, USA or Australia? Have you checked ships manifests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

mod9maple wrote: »
    Did you find any marriage records for the 4 daughters? So as to ascertain their change in name, and then search for them Re children, deaths, census etc.

As for there being no sign of Michael after 1880 - have you searched in other counties? Your post mentions Tipperary, Limerick and Cork.

He or indeed all of them could well have emigrated, it's certainly one possibility. Have you tried records in Scotland, England & Wales, Canada, USA or Australia? Have you checked ships manifests?

I could find no marriage records for the children with Kirk as surname. Quirke is a very common name in Limerick.

I didn't really consider any other county as most other Kirks were found in NI. I will have to wait to see if the marriage cert shows a different county for his residence.

I did search shipping records after 1880 for both Michaels but no obvious hit. Will look for daughters later. Will also have a look at census records in other countries.

Thanks for your help.

There is a death registered for a Michael Quirke in the Limerick district, born abt 1862, died 1937. I have a date of Dec 2, 1865 for his birth to Michael Kirk and Margaret Ryan in Kilfinnane.

mod9maple wrote: »
    There is a death registered for a Michael Quirke in the Limerick district, born abt 1862, died 1937. I have a date of Dec 2, 1865 for his birth to Michael Kirk and Margaret Ryan in Kilfinnane.

Hi,
    Unfortunately, checking the 1901 Census records, there are 4 Michael Quirkes in Limerick with that age profile.

I got both Michael & Margaret's dobs from FamilySearch 1620-1881 baptisms & births, others on RootsIreland.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

I think it's possible the family moved to the States. I found the following California death records:

Bridget Delia Kirk b. 20 Oct 1871 d. 2 Aug 1950 San Francisco
    John Kirk b. 1 Jan 1867 d. 19 Dec 1940 San Francisco
    Both had Kirk fathers and Ryan mothers.

I also found their siblings Mary and Maggie in the US. The birth dates are a bit off but I think its worth looking into.

1900 Census: Mary, Delia (Bridget) and Maggie Kirk
    1910 Census: Mary Kirk Donovan
    1920 Census: Mary Kirk Donovan & nieces
    1930 Census: Delia Kirk & nieces
    1940 Census: Delia, John Kirk & niece

This post may also interest you.

• Advertisement

I think it's possible the family moved to the States. I found the following California death records:

Bridget Delia Kirk b. 20 Oct 1871 d. 2 Aug 1950 San Francisco
    John Kirk b. 1 Jan 1867 d. 19 Dec 1940 San Francisco
    Both had Kirk fathers and Ryan mothers.

I also found their siblings Mary and Maggie in the US. The birth dates are a bit off but I think its worth looking into.

1900 Census: Mary, Delia (Bridget) and Maggie Kirk
    1910 Census: Mary Kirk Donovan
    1920 Census: Mary Kirk Donovan & nieces
    1930 Census: Delia Kirk & nieces
    1940 Census: Delia, John Kirk & niece

This post may also interest you.

Hi,

This is a great find. Thank you so much.

I am on my way out so have no time to check the immigration records circa 1883. I found a death record for Michael in Philadelphia earlier.

Will do some further research later.

Hi,

I have found a death/burial record for Margaret Schulte nee Donovan, born Philadelphia 1900, died 1957 in San Fransisco, father John Donovan & mother Mary Kirk, both born in Ireland which ties in with all the details on the Census records which tanoralover very kindly posted above. Daughter's name is Bernadine (and Bernard possibly the husband died 1951 according to Findagrave site) although I haven't found them on the 1940 census in SF.

Re: John Kirk - located his death record also SF in Dec 1940 showing mother as Ryan.
    Maybe the Johanna born 1867 (RootsIre) was a transcription error.
    Event Type: Death
    Event Date: 19 Dec 1940
    Event Place: San Francisco, California, United States
    Birth Date: 01 Jan 1867
    Father's Name: Kirk
    Mother's Name: Ryan

I found a SF death record of Mary Constance Mahony nee Parrish born 1911 giving her mother's name as Kirk which would also tie in with census record. Still looking for a Parrish/Kirk marriage record.

I also emailed Mary Lou in the Genforum post above.

Impressive sleuthing, thanks again.

Lots more searching to do. Hopefully, I will be able to contact someone who can confirm some details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

I have found a death/burial record for Margaret Schulte nee Donovan, born Philadelphia 1900, died 1957 in San Fransisco, father John Donovan & mother Mary Kirk, both born in Ireland which ties in with all the details on the Census records which tanoralover very kindly posted above. Daughter's name is Bernadine (and Bernard possibly the husband died 1951 according to Findagrave site) although I haven't found them on the 1940 census in SF.

Children of Bernard Schulte & Margaret Donovan:
    Mary Margaret b. 29 May 1932
    Bernadine Constance b. 2 Nov 1934
    John Joseph b. 9 Nov 1935 d. 30 Oct 1964 in San Francisco
    ^ all born in San Francisco.
    1940 Census

Margaret's sister Mae Donovan Rounds b. 14 Jul 1901 NY d. 24 Nov 1958 in San Mateo, California
    Maybe the Johanna born 1867 (RootsIre) was a transcription error.

Very possible. The Latin for John is Johannes. Mary recorded as Maria suggests Latin was the language used.
    I found a SF death record of Mary Constance Mahony nee Parrish born 1911 giving her mother's name as Kirk which would also tie in with census record. Still looking for a Parrish/Kirk marriage record.

I couldn't find a marriage record but I think Margaret Kirk married Edwin Alonzo Parrish b. 1880 in Michigan. They were living in SF in 1910. Children of this marriage include:
    Edwin b. 1 Jan 1909 (presumably died before the census)
    Female b. 20 Jun 1914 (presumably Anna)

Possible children of Mary Constance Parrish & ?? Mahony:
    Constance Maureen b. 22 Apr 1941 SF
    Anne Marie b. 11 Feb 1944 SF

I recommend you search sfgenealogy.com - I've had a lot of success with this site in the past. Good luck!

Super sleuthing once again. Great details - I might never have found these records! Looking forward to looking at the SFgenealogy website.

Thank you for all your help.

Well done Tanoralover, fair play to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement