Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split ends!

• 19-05-2013 9:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have highlighted hair that's a couple of inches past my shoulders. I get it cut every 8 weeks, and it's pretty heavily layered. I use very good quality shampoo and conditioner (Tigi Urban Antidotes, recommended by a hairdresser I really trust). I only wash my hair every 3 days, which means it's blowdried quickly only every 3 days, and I very rarely use heated appliances or product in it. And despite all of that, I have a heap of split ends at any time. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or something I could improve to stop my hair splitting?

Comments

• I have the same problem. I've started using a Lush balm for split ends. Not sure how much it helps but there is a bit of an improvement and I know other people who swear by it. Do you wear your hair down a lot? That's bad for causing split ends. I try to put mine up in a bun as much as possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have the same problem. I've started using a Lush balm for split ends. Not sure how much it helps but there is a bit of an improvement and I know other people who swear by it. Do you wear your hair down a lot? That's bad for causing split ends. I try to put mine up in a bun as much as possible.

Yeah, I wear my hair down the majority of time because tying it up damages it too! I'll look into the Lush balm, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Do you use a heat protection spray? I use a lee Stafford one before blow-drying and again on the ends before straightening and now have very few split ends.
    Comb through your conditioner with a very wide tooth comb, never brush it when it's wet as it will break and split easily.
    Don't rub your hair vigorously with a towel as this can definitely damage hair! Just pat it dry with a towel.
    A deep conditioning treatment every couple of weeks would probably help prevent split ends too, but as I'm sure you know there's nothing you can do to help existing split ends except to have them cut off :(
    I agree with Lucas Rhythmic Toupee that wearing it down on very windy days would damage it, but wearing it in a tight ponytail or bun will do the same! Snag-free ponytail bands are great (the ones with no metal bit), and a lot of people swear by bungee bands although I've never tried them
    http://www.hqhair.com/blax-bungee-bands-blonde/10304801.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks, the spray is a good idea. I never use product in my hair so I always forget about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

A lot of layers in your hair unfortunately makes for more split ends. Ask your hairdresser not to thin the ends the next time you get it cut. Also ask just for a few layers around your face, and just one disconnected layer above the length. I found I was losing a lot of the volume in the length of my hair a few years back from getting too many layers in it, and this was the advice of a friend's sister, who's a hairdresser (with fabulous thick, long, wavy locks) herself, and it made the world of difference to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement