Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best rugby schools in Ireland??

Options
  • 19-05-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm currently in Junior Cert and a rugby fanatic I'm thinking of moving to one of the big rugby schools. Which would be most ideal?? Anywhere in Leinster, Munster or Connacht and please state whether or not it is boarding, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Impossible to look past St Malachy's in Sligo. No boarders.
    But wherever you are in Ireland, if your rugby is importantn to you, you should go there nonetheless, even its a long daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 redsoxallday

MRDJR97 wrote: »
    I'm currently in Junior Cert and a rugby fanatic I'm thinking of moving to one of the big rugby schools. Which would be most ideal?? Anywhere in Leinster, Munster or Connacht and please state whether or not it is boarding, thanks :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/760382446.jpg/

Very good table on Leinster schools, was on twitter few weeks back. Top isnt boarding but some students live with nearby families. surprised cwc not 1 or 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Most ideal for what exactly?
    Where are you playing your rugby at the moment. What age group will you be next season(bear in mind the age groups are more than likely changing in some of the provinces next season for youths competitions)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

For pure coaching then it has to be St.Michaels who've invested a lot in their rugby program. Michaels and Blackrock probably have the best coaching set ups of anywhere. Possibly Roscrea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Best boarding rugby school: Clongowes
    Best day rugby school: Blackrock/Michaels

But Roscrea for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Castleknock trying to grow so could be worth looking at!!

Devin Toner is former student!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

Almaviva wrote: »
    Impossible to look past St Malachy's in Sligo. No boarders.
    But wherever you are in Ireland, if your rugby is importantn to you, you should go there nonetheless, even its a long daily commute.

Never heard of st malachy's in sligo. Sligo grammar would be the big rugby school in sligo and takes boarders. Summerhill college would have much smaller rugby presence where gas and soccer dominate - no boarders these days

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I would definitely recommend Roscrea if boarding is an option. They have consistently done well in Senior Rugby over the last few years, always have a high number of representatives, and get coaching from Connacht. Additionally, there is twice the chance you'll be picked up by a rugby academy when you leave school and you will be playing with Connacht Youths who go there in 5th and 6th Year. Academically it does quite well aswell AFAIK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What do your parents think?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

St. Patrick's, Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

if the choice of school is up to you (which it should be) and if its financially viable Id advise Kilkenny [boarding] ,CWC [boarding] Rockwell[Boarding] Blackrock [boarding] or CCR [boarding]. All good rugby schools as you say with a good ethos and good academic records. Other than those Marist Athlone in connacht, CBC or PBC in Cork have good traditions. Gonzaga iin Dublin has the best academic record of all the rugby schools if you want to combine learning and playing to a high level

Advertisement