Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW price & Spec change

Options
  • 19-05-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I went to a VW dealership yesterday about a new car and found out that there is a lot of change going on now with prices and spec. The price for the passat had gone up by about €900 for the comfortline and they added Parking distance control as standard, but a lot of the extra's optional are now gone. I was wanting to get the Keyless entry but they don't do it for the passat now. Does anyone know what else is different with the passat now and why this is happening??

Also the dealer said if I done a deal for a 131 in the next week he could give it to me for the old prices?? Do you think this would be a good or a bad deal?? rather than waiting until July for a 132

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I say go to another VW dealer before you do anything. A close friends uncle was buying a new Jetta a few years back after selling his passat privately. If I recall correctly the VW dealer in my local town of Newcastle West were looking for close to €800 extra for exactly same spec'd Jetta than VW dealer in nearby town of CastleIsland.

Needless to say he bought in CastleIsland and carried all his future business back there also. He is one of these hardcore VW guys who you will see driving nothing but a VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

VW Model Year production starts in Week 22, tomorrow is week 21.

Spec changes to most to of the cars, and some price increases to go along with the specification changes.

Happens for most manufacturers every year, some more than once a year.

Have full details of the changes on my work mail so I'll have a look tomorrow.

If you take something from stock, or something going in to build next week, you should get it at current pricing. Anything built from week 22 will be new price for the new specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kenny_david

R.O.R wrote: »
    VW Model Year production starts in Week 22, tomorrow is week 21.

Spec changes to most to of the cars, and some price increases to go along with the specification changes.

Happens for most manufacturers every year, some more than once a year.

Have full details of the changes on my work mail so I'll have a look tomorrow.

If you take something from stock, or something going in to build next week, you should get it at current pricing. Anything built from week 22 will be new price for the new specification.

Thanks R.O.R, do you think it would be better to wait for a 132 then?? as it would have better resale value in the future??

Also is there any chance of getting the extra (keyless entry) if it's not listed anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Also is there any chance of getting the extra (keyless entry) if it's not listed anymore??

In my experience of car dealers in Ireland, a lot of them either deny options exist, wont order them or are trying to shift cars in stock that don't have the options.

keep trying other dealers until you get one who actually cares, a lot of them just seem to be happy to sell bog spec cars all day.

In my experience of car dealers in Ireland, a lot of them either deny options exist, wont order them or are trying to shift cars in stock that don't have the options.

keep trying other dealers until you get one who actually cares, a lot of them just seem to be happy to sell bog spec cars all day.

Don't think this is the case here. I saw this option on the WV website when you went to the "Car Configurator" last week. When I said it to the VW guy he asked where I saw that, then when he checked the website Saturday with me it was gone.

• Advertisement

Don't think this is the case here. I saw this option on the WV website when you went to the "Car Configurator" last week. When I said it to the VW guy he asked where I saw that, then when he checked the website Saturday with me it was gone.

its still on the UK spec anyway, perhaps its become standard for ireland ?

its still on the UK spec anyway, perhaps its become standard for ireland ?

I hope this is the case but I was looking at the UK VW Car Configurator and they seem to have to pay for a lot of extra's we get as standard like cruise control and keyless entry etc.. which I thought was strange as I always thought that UK spec car's get a lot more extra's as standard than Ireland does and hence the reason why a lot of second hand cars are bought from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are worried about resale value then it may not be a good idea to buy a model that is coming to the end of it's life cycle in the next 10 months or so.

I hope this is the case but I was looking at the UK VW Car Configurator and they seem to have to pay for a lot of extra's we get as standard like cruise control and keyless entry etc.. which I thought was strange as I always thought that UK spec car's get a lot more extra's as standard than Ireland does and hence the reason why a lot of second hand cars are bought from the UK

but thats because UK buyers spec those options themselves anyway , the only reason we have some of those bits as standard is to make the car seem like some sort of reasonable value for money even with the VRT on it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are worried about resale value then it may not be a good idea to buy a model that is coming to the end of it's life cycle in the next 10 months or so.

Fair point, I didn't know a new model is out next year but I can wait till then have to change now but I can wait a month

• Advertisement

Fair point, I didn't know a new model is out next year but I can wait till then have to change now but I can wait a month

Current model has been around since 2005 with a major revamp in 2010, if it doesn't bother you then I don't see any difference in having a 131 reg over a 132 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...the corrollary of that is that buying a car at the end of it's production run should get you a better car as most of the bugs will have been worked out by now. That and the fact that they usually up-spec them to shift them.

The new 'new' car otoh, will be as plain as chips, and invariably will be 'buggy' for a while yet........they won't be giving away any spec whilst people are still gaga-ing over the new badge/grille/headlight/yada yada.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Checked the doc again and Park Assist is the only change to the Comfortline for MY2014 according to that.

VW have updated the configurator, but haven't put the new Product Guide up yet. I'll see tomorrow if the MY14 product guide is available yet. Option PEL is the Keyless - also comes with a foot operated boot opening like they've been advertising on the new Kuga. Hopefully works better than the Kuga - did I look like a tool waving my foot around the bumper for 5 minutes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Current model has been around since 2005 with a major revamp in 2010, if it doesn't bother you then I don't see any difference in having a 131 reg over a 132 reg.
    This is incorrect technically, the B6 Passat was 2005 to 2011, the B7 (current) is from 2011 to 2015, so it won't be replaced in 10 months. Even though the B6 to B7 is visually the smallest upgrade in years, it's still considered by VW as a new model, unlike the B5 which got a B5.5 version face-lift.
    Even so, he's safe for 2 years anyway with the current model, and Passat's hold their value well, so 131 or 132 won't matter. He could ask what he might pay in July for one, and he might find out the difference in price between buying now vs then and then see the difference in when he sells, I'd say €500 tops he might lose.

The B7 Passat was as much a new car as the MkVI Golf was to the previous MkV Golf. The B7 Passat shares the same platform, drive train, engines, cabin and dashboard as the B6. The B7 got improved handling via tweaked suspension, new front & rear body panels and some different interior trim but it's still a heavily facelifted B6 despite what the VW marketing folks claim. Only the Americans got an all new Passat which uses a larger platform to the European Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

new front & rear body panels

Every panel bar the roof is actually new. I've clayed both B6 and B7 so I know!

Thanks. Bit of a mute subject anyway as the OP is happy to buy the current model.

Checked the doc again and Park Assist is the only change to the Comfortline for MY2014 according to that.

VW have updated the configurator, but haven't put the new Product Guide up yet. I'll see tomorrow if the MY14 product guide is available yet. Option PEL is the Keyless - also comes with a foot operated boot opening like they've been advertising on the new Kuga. Hopefully works better than the Kuga - did I look like a tool waving my foot around the bumper for 5 minutes.......

When will they officially put the product guide up?? in week 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Re facelift, I tempted to argue both sides.
    It is clearly not an all new model. Sure, its got some new skins but considering dash, interior, overall shape etc, its obviously a rework on the last model. That said, I was very surprised when driving one, that its utterly superior to the previous car in terms of steering feel weight and precision and suspension wise, its a totally different car.

Got the updated product guide mailed to me this morning.

Option PEL (Keyless Access) is only available with WD8 now (Anti Theft Alarm System). From €1,146 - depends on CO2 emissions of the model you are looking at, but should be the right price for a 1.6Tdi

Option is described as WD8+PEL in the product guide, that VW dealers should have by now (mine was mailed from a dealer this morning).

• Advertisement

Got the updated product guide mailed to me this morning.

Option PEL (Keyless Access) is only available with WD8 now (Anti Theft Alarm System). From €1,146 - depends on CO2 emissions of the model you are looking at, but should be the right price for a 1.6Tdi

Option is described as WD8+PEL in the product guide, that VW dealers should have by now (mine was mailed from a dealer this morning).

Dam that's €436 more, don't know if I would want the Anti Theft Alarm System, would there be any benefit in getting this? regarding insurance and resale value??

Dam that's €436 more, don't know if I would want the Anti Theft Alarm System, would there be any benefit in getting this? regarding insurance and resale value??

Probably no advantage at all. Very strange that they are only available together - can't get the Alarm by itself anymore either, but if you want the Keyless, that's the only way to get it now.

Advertisement