Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband - anyone else having problems recently?

Options
  • 19-05-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I've been with eircom for over 17 months, and it has always been very stable. But now, my connection has be down for two days!

Anyone else having issues with eircom connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Mine has gone from bad to terrible over the last 2 months. An eircom engineer couldn't get to the bottom of it. I got a new modem which slightly improved things, but I threw in the towel during the week and signed up for Imagine Wimax. Even if it's not very good, it will be better than what I have. 0.4mb/sec in 2013 just isn't acceptable. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Fine in Gortlee in Letterkenny. I have it for 3 years now without major issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Technique wrote: »
    Mine has gone from bad to terrible over the last 2 months. An eircom engineer couldn't get to the bottom of it. I got a new modem which slightly improved things, but I threw in the towel during the week and signed up for Imagine Wimax. Even if it's not very good, it will be better than what I have. 0.4mb/sec in 2013 just isn't acceptable. :mad:

would you not see what SMART could do or digi when the fiber is running?

edit actually think smart have their own lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

danniemcq wrote: »
    would you not see what SMART could do or digi when the fiber is running?

edit actually think smart have their own lines

Was with Smart in 2006, and getting 3mb on ADSL2+. It gradually went down to 0.5mb over the next few years and they suggested that I leave and go to eircom, where I would have a better chance of getting it resolved.

I'm about 3km from the nearest fibre cabinet, so that's not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Technique, you ever looked into northwest broadband? They use satellite, and can apparently provide up to 50 mb.

My eircom line has been intermittantly dropping for some time, and we're a bit fed up paying 70 a month for this plus a telephone line we never use. Think it's 32.99 for the 50 meg link with NWB (assuming they can provide it), but there's a waiting list of a few months.

EDIT: I should add I haven't got the link with NWB yet, still on the waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Been having strange issues in the south of the county recently but they seem to have resolved themselves. I was hoping it was a sign of the vdsl rollout but there's no new shiney cabinets around here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I was having problems for the last 2 months, i got eircom to send me out a new router but that didn't help, i got a lend of a friends router and that didn't help either. the engineer landed on friday and replaced some corroded wires. check the wires that come into the tiny brown box before it connects to the router or the white box that the router connects to. that might help. eircom are coming in with fibre in the next few weeks, that should make your connection more stable....i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Eircom fibre is already available to me (nice cabinet about 500m away), I've had the sale team call me twice about it, however, I turned down the offer due to the 18 month contract! Don't want to get started about that, still fecking annoyed with them as I agreed my current contract, based on this future roll-out, and now they want another contract!

I'm not at home atm, so we had to get an Eircom Engineer out to have a look. The first thing he did, was install a new type of signal splitter, at the point of entry. Means you don't need those filters on any of your phone connections anymore. He couldn't get my setup to work, or one of their own, retail, modems - however they have a "test" modem, which showed the signal coming in just grand. They changed my "port" at the exchange, and then the eircom modem started to work, however, it still has an error light blinking, but it is connecting.

Because I'm away, and we're depending on the internet for communication, the engineer said he would leave the eircom modem with us, until I return and get a chance to set my own stuff up again (nothing fancy, modem with a seperate wireless AP), which was very decent of him.

Two things to note:
    • Eircom Helpline: the weekend staff weren't very nice or helpful (especially by the 4th call). Said they tested the signal, and it was fine. Insisted that the problem was with our equipment, even though I knew that was not likely (signal runs through two surge protectors, entire system plugged into an APC Battery Backup), which I had double checked the day before I left. Weekly staff were much better, after the Mrs. insisted it wasn't our equipment, they arranged straight away for an engineer to come out and check everything.
    • Eircom Engineer: courteous, friendly & professional - job well done.

So, don't let them try to fob you off with "it must be your modem" or even this gem "our speed must be two fast for your equipment, maybe we should turn it down" (even though it had been perfectly fine for 18 months!).
    If you feel it's their fault, (and not due to a recent lightening storm etc.) keep hassling them! You're the customer, you're the one paying them for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

just rang there to see if i can get upgraded to Efibre, was told its not available to my area yet despite having a cabinet a few metres away at the bottom of my street ( near Cathedral)

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    just rang there to see if i can get upgraded to Efibre, was told its not available to my area yet despite having a cabinet a few metres away at the bottom of my street ( near Cathedral)

They are still rolling it out in some areas i belive. The boxes seem to all be installed but some lines will still have to be laid. I think they still have to dig up my estate to lay some (either that or someone in an Eircom van started attacking the road for no reason last week)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

(either that or someone in an Eircom van started attacking the road for no reason last week)

They work for Eircom, I wouldn't blame them if they did :pac:

Flibbles wrote: »
    They work for Eircom, I wouldn't blame them if they did :pac:

I got a guy to look at the cable behind the house last year. its wrapped around a tree branch and is a matter of time before its downed in a storm,

Engineer looked at it and said they can't do anything until it does actually fall.

So instead of a simple fix (cut the branch and those around it) they have to wait till there is a complete line failure and they have to come out cut down most of the tree and repair the cables and seeing this will probably happen in a storm there will be no doubt other lines down so god knows when they would get to us.

My connection has been screwy the last few days, but it gets updated on Thursday so I don't mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

My connection has been screwy the last few days, but it gets updated on Thursday so I don't mind :D

Is fiber being deployed? I've had trouble with my connection dropping, but if moving to fiber fixed it I might actually stay with eircom. Keep us posted!

Is fiber being deployed? I've had trouble with my connection dropping, but if moving to fiber fixed it I might actually stay with eircom. Keep us posted!

It gets installed in my house on Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Here's a map of the various places that have efibre. You may have to scroll and zoom but you'll figure it out. Apparently its updated every few days.

Not exactly eircom but Vodafone are offering new packages around LK at the minute 39 a month i think for fibre and no cap.

Smart (now digiweb) are still crazy expensive (twice vodafones above offer) but i have been told by them that they are releasing new packages today (although maybe tomorrow). Worth keeping an eye on anyway as thats about the price i'm currently paying for 24mb (well 16 is what i get)

Good luck to anyone ordering Eircom's eFibre...

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056984067

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Good luck to anyone ordering Eircom's eFibre...

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056984067

You'll need more than luck
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057001193

Not exactly eircom but Vodafone are offering new packages around LK at the minute 39 a month i think for fibre and no cap.

Smart (now digiweb) are still crazy expensive (twice vodafones above offer) but i have been told by them that they are releasing new packages today (although maybe tomorrow). Worth keeping an eye on anyway as thats about the price i'm currently paying for 24mb (well 16 is what i get)

Not sure if on the official site yet but Smart(digiweb) now match Vodafone and apparently deep in T&C voda cap is 300gb smarts is 350gb.

The only other difference is conttract and install price.

vodafone
    12 month = 70 install
    18 = 60 install
    24 = free install

Smart
    18 month only = 50 install

EDIT i kinda have a small deal with smart and a contact, its not free but its a sign up bonus, I dunno if it will sway anyones opinions on service but if interested drop me a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

muffler wrote: »
    Here's a map of the various places that have efibre. You may have to scroll and zoom but you'll figure it out. Apparently its updated every few days.

its said fibre has been live in my area for months but no sign yet.

its said fibre has been live in my area for months but no sign yet.

Ring Vodafone or Smart (not Eircom shower of so and so's) and ask them are you covered. Give them your phone number and your address and they'll let you know

Not sure if on the official site yet but Smart(digiweb) now match Vodafone and apparently deep in T&C voda cap is 300gb smarts is 350gb.

The only other difference is conttract and install price.

vodafone
    12 month = 70 install
    18 = 60 install
    24 = free install

Smart
    18 month only = 50 install

I can confirm this, just ordered the 12 month.

Has anyone got any expirence with SKY broadband in Letterkenny?? , im with eircom and tempted to switch , i cant get Efibre despite having a cabinet at the end of the street and i also had no end of problems getting it installed in the first place so i feel your pain flibbles!

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any expirence with SKY broadband in Letterkenny?? , im with eircom and tempted to switch , i cant get Efibre despite having a cabinet at the end of the street and i also had no end of problems getting it installed in the first place so i feel your pain flibbles!

I was on to sky a few weeks ago and they are only testing at the minute and it would be after Christmas before they get around to a proper roll out around here anyway.

Did you ring either of the other 2 Oranbhoy? I'm not sure if they are all running on the same lines (smart usually lay their own but now that they are becoming digiweb i'm not so sure if they still do and i don't know about Vodafone at all though and their infrastructure)

I was on to sky a few weeks ago and they are only testing at the minute and it would be after Christmas before they get around to a proper roll out around here anyway.

Did you ring either of the other 2 Oranbhoy? I'm not sure if they are all running on the same lines (smart usually lay their own but now that they are becoming digiweb i'm not so sure if they still do and i don't know about Vodafone at all though and their infrastructure)

I didnt, but ill have a wee look now at what they have on offer , as my 12 month contract with eircom is up and they have offered me 10 euro less a month on my current packge to stay with them , but when i looked at SKY i saw that there package would stll work out another 10 euro a month cheaper! (40 to eircoms 50 ) so its a pity they arent operating here yet, but ill definitley have a look at the other options now, as i have few days left to decide what im doing!

tbh though Eircom has been great since i got it ( if a bit expensive) but the hassle of getting it was unreal.. i ordered it in the November and didnt have it up and running till March the next year!

Advertisement