Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Con 2013 July 5 -7

Options
  • 19-05-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Tournaments have just been revealed for this year's Arcade Con in Ballsbridge Hotel, Dublin:

http://www.arcadecon.ie/2013/tournaments/

The fighters lineup includes:

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

Persona 4 Arena

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

No SF4? Controversial! (But as a man who is thoroughly bored by SF4 now I'm not too torn up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

There was no sf4 last year either

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Isn't that xinkai's choice? If I recall he doesn't want the fgc there?

Edit: last year's post by him
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79805338#post79805338

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Grand games for a con to be honest.

Melee would be better than Brawl and I'm surprised Playstation Allstars isn't included.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, the logic is us horrible competitive players ruin the fun for others, so no street fighter. Because, for some reason, the money of a competitive player isn't worth as much as anyone elses.

Then they put on Marvel that's about 150% times more frustrating if you're playing someone that knows what they're doing.

I shall continue to support the open, supportive conventions, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Isn't that xinkai's choice? If I recall he doesn't want the fgc there?

Edit: last year's post by him
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79805338#post79805338

That makes for an interesting read, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Don't even know what to say about that post. That's a very ... interesting attitude towards running tournaments.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yeah, the logic is us horrible competitive players ruin the fun for others, so no street fighter. Because, for some reason, the money of a competitive player isn't worth as much as anyone elses.

Then they put on Marvel that's about 150% times more frustrating if you're playing someone that knows what they're doing.

I shall continue to support the open, supportive conventions, thank you very much!

Nah Doom, Marvel is the ultimate jump in and have the craic game for all skill levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

That's not the full list, apparently, there's been alot of outcry for sf4 not by only Irish FGC but by con goers as well, so AE will be there, not as a main tournament per se, but as a fun tournament, with not much on the line. That said there will be prizes.

Also, tournament passes are being introduced this year, I think it's 5 euro, you come in, you play, you collect your prize and leave, or if you wish, you can upgrade your ticket to a day/weekend if you wish.

Lads, my stance was never "No SF because your too good and suck the fun out of everything", maybe I thought that way last year, I admit that, however, we're all a year more mature now, and I am not holding SF4 because I don't like you guys, give one or two, but this years games list is made of the newest fighting games, aswell as Marvel, because it's always a guaranteed hit at conventions.

My stance when doing this years list is "What's new, what's the most popular? What will attract people to the games room, and away from League of Legends upstairs?" That said, Naruto, Anime game. Persona 4, (Arguable) Latest fighter to be released, with Injustice right behind that, Marvel is Marvel & Brawl is Brawl.

In case your wondering, the other fun tournaments will be Sonic R & Mario Party 1.

Hope you can make it lads. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just doing my job :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm aghast you're supporting Persona 4: Arena, after the veritable fúck-up of delays and half-truths by Atlus/Zen United.

I know, I hate myself for it, that said, as a Persona 4 fan who's still coming down off his P4 euphoria, that sexy yellow vinyl only available in game (Thanks again Zen, you F**k's) was just too sexy to pass up. I'm weak, ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Xinkai wrote: »
    That's not the full list, apparently

That's an interesting thing to say, aren't you in charge of the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm aghast you're supporting Persona 4: Arena, after the veritable fúck-up of delays and half-truths by Atlus/Zen United.
    This is actually a pretty tough position to be in. Many of the con goers will not be aware/care about the massive delay in the game and fans would just like to play Persona against other people on their weekend holiday.

Personal opinions about the company and the delay should probably be a secondary concern for a Games Coordinator - the enjoyment of the con goers is always the primary.

Despite my opinion that the game be boycotted (which I still think should be a thing), if I was running the games room here I'd likely have it on the list too.

That's an interesting thing to say, aren't you in charge of the games?

Yup, tis indeed, this wasn't part of the planned tournament games though, and more of a spur of the moment thing, so we're still putting the list together for the "extra" fun tournaments. Hence, the apparently.

Edit: Also, I'm just in charge of picking games to be run as tournaments, our games Coordinator looks after everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

This whole thing is just ridiculous

Whens Marvel?

Hey guys, the SSF4AE2012 or 13 can't remember it's been that long since I've played it, (Dan is still broken, right?)

The Arcadecon tournament will be taking place on sunday of the convention at 12PM midday, you guys are more than welcome.

There won't be the typical anime Dvd prizes we've all come to love and expect, we have sponsors out the arse this year, not too sure what the prizes will be, since this is one of 3 side-tournaments, others being Mario Party 1 & Dance Central.

The timetable for the con can be found here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqt-Ky1deTC4dHdtcFF6T25fWTdfemRDNjBURXZpRmc#gid=3

Advertisement