Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options
  • 19-05-2013 12:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

MOD EDIT: Due to off-topic posting deviating so far from the initial discussion with no possibility of returning in a natural flow a mod warning has been issued. Further off-topic discussion may well lead to infractions, you may be unlucky enough not to have started an off-topic conversation but merely continued down a path of tired discussion resulting in an infraction - bare this in mind, you can't say you haven't been informed.

I don't know if it was the GAA's idea, but finally one of the elements of the alleged traffic management plan for Pearse Stadium is being implemented - years later: http://news.galwaytransport.info/201...-salthill.html stolen from UnJustMary

The €3 per adult bus only takes them to the WDR roundabout. Where exactly do the passengers disembark? and then be forced to walk one long kilometre to Pearse Stadium.

An Garda: Parking in the vicinity of Pearse Stadium will be forbidden and patrons are advised to be prepared to walk some distances to the match venue. No parking will be allowed at: Kingston Road, Taylor’s Hill, Rosary Lane, Oaklands/Devon Gardens, Mannix Road, Dalysfort Road, Rockbarton Road and Ard Na Mara
    Vehicles illegally parked will be towed away. http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=11135

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd imagine that passengers disembark at the bus stop near the Fort Lorenzo RAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

snubbleste wrote: »
    An Garda: Parking in the vicinity of Pearse Stadium will be forbidden and patrons are advised to be prepared to walk some distances to the match venue. No parking will be allowed at: Kingston Road, Taylor’s Hill, Rosary Lane, Oaklands/Devon Gardens, Mannix Road, Dalysfort Road, Rockbarton Road and Ard Na Mara
    Vehicles illegally parked will be towed away. http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=11135

Just drove down Kingston Road and Bishop O'Donnell road and there's easily 150 cars parked on the path/road. One gobsh*te in a Vectra parked (more like abandoned) outside Bunker Lydon's house has pretty much cut down the road to one lane.

No doubt there'll be no repercussions for these match day muck savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Why don't ye note their reg. nos. and report them or go to the Councillors about it..... It seems to crop up often enough as a recurring issue judging by the consistent Threads here about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I counted about 30 garda around at various junctions.
    There were vehicles blocking footpaths & bike paths on Bishop ODonnell, WDR, Kingston, Threadneedle, Devon, Taylors Hill, Lwr Salthill, Maunsells, Rosary Lane, oh and Newcastle Rd.
    I saw no tow trucks anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Is it really that big of a problem to some of you or is this just another case of people complaining for the sake of it?

My wife and myself brought our little one who is in a wheelchair to the match today, we had to walk a good kilometre disembarking the footpath a few times along the way and we weren't complaining about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

TBP wrote: »
    Is it really that big of a problem to some of you or is this just another case of people complaining for the sake of it?

My wife and myself brought our little one who is in a wheelchair to the match today, we had to walk a good kilometre disembarking the footpath a few times along the way and we weren't complaining about it.

With respect, it's far easier to negotiate with a child in a wheelchair than an adult.
    My brother walked from Bothar Stiofain, wheeling my uncle, because the weather was decent. Had to use the cycle lane for much of the Distributor Road and walk on the road down Threadneedle. It's irresponsible parking and it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

There is less than a handful of big games per year and people need to relax a little and see it as a minor inconvenience for a few hours on one of these days.
    There are more pressing matters of concern happening in Galway than moaning about a car parked on a foot path.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I have gone to matches all over the country and have sometimes parked poorly but not haphazardly. There are no excuses for the ways some twats dump their cars.

Today, I saw one car parked on the narrow foothpath along Kingston Road which completely blocked pedestrians from walking. There is no footpath on the other side of this particular stretch of road which resulted in all walkers having to go on to the road while this careless parker went to a match. He/she gives all other (bad) parkers a really bad name, including myself.*

The car should have been confiscated because it could have caused an accident for a pedestrian.

*I have parked on grass verges, on footpaths and on private property (office car park) but never in disabled spaces, blocking driveways, at junctions or on flowerbeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    There is less than a handful of big games per year and people need to relax a little and see it as a minor inconvenience for a few hours on one of these days.
    There are more pressing matters of concern happening in Galway than moaning about a car parked on a foot path.

yeah. any of your relatives, family, friends disabled or have to use a wheelchair? 'inconvenience'. yeah.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I honestly woudln't blame the motorists. If you drive all the way from Ballina, say, to support Mayo then you are going to try to park as close as you can to Pearse Stadium.

The problem goes back to the decision to revamp Pearse Stadium over a decade ago without any proper parking or transport plan. I believe there was a 'park and ride' in the original plans, but they never bothered to highlight or implement it.

As for the Gardai on match days, most of them are GAA fans and far more interested in watching the match than going out and ticketing hundreds of cars whose owners have nowhere else to park anyways :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

celty wrote: »
    I honestly woudln't blame the motorists. If you drive all the way from Ballina, say, to support Mayo then you are going to try to park as close as you can to Pearse Stadium. The problem goes back to the decision to revamp Pearse Stadium over a decade ago without any proper parking or transport plan. I believe there was a 'park and ride' in the original plans, but they never bothered to highlight or implement it.

no, the problem is that we Irish are unrepentant hypocrites. If one of the people who parked illegally today had a relative who was injured somewhere else because of someone else's illegal parking they would be the first to vocally complain about the illegality and unethical nature of this kind of behaviour but will, at the drop of a hat, stridently dump their own car and their own needs on someone else when it suits them, with no sense of irony. aah us Irish, unless it impacts on us directly, to f!!k with everyone else. like i said, myopic hypocrites we are.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It was great to see some of the people who parked particularly dangerously on Kingston Road yesterday with Garda Fixed Penalty Notices on their windscreens. Mind you, it would have been safer if some of them had just been towed, but kudos to the Guards for giving them tickets anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

churchview wrote: »
    It was great to see some of the people who parked particularly dangerously on Kingston Road yesterday with Garda Fixed Penalty Notices on their windscreens. Mind you, it would have been safer if some of them had just been towed, but kudos to the Guards for giving them tickets anyway.

One of the difficulties with this recurring problem of lazy, ignorant and selfish motorists (in this case the inevitable GAA fans) parking on footpaths etc is that An Garda Siochana no longer issues paper parking tickets.

In this instance, were the notes placed on the illegally parked cars for information only, ie to inform the driver that an FPN was to be issued? Or was it merely a polite notice telling the driver not to be so naughty again?

If the latter, I recall these bits of paper being used during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover and they were, not surprisingly, completely useless. If the former, I look forward to hearing the penalised motorists cry foul as well as GAA fanatics and people like Cllr Michael Crowe allege discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

[QUOTE=Iwannahurl;84699187

In this instance, were the notes placed on the illegally parked cars for information only, ie to inform the driver that an FPN was to be issued? Or was it merely a polite notice telling the driver not to be so naughty again?

[/QUOTE]

That could well have been the case. I just saw "Garda Fixed Penalty Notice" on them. I didn't look any closer.

If that is the case, then, as a solution that's worse than useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

This is the same Salthill Garda station that refuse to even log complaints about illegal parking around Pearse Stadium?
    Holding my breath in 3... 2... 1...

"A car parked on a footpath."

Can you please answer this question: if it's just a minor matter, why not just park on the road instead of the footpath?

I honestly woudln't blame the motorists. If you drive all the way from Ballina, say, to support Mayo then you are going to try to park as close as you can to Pearse Stadium.

<snip>

As for the Gardai on match days, most of them are GAA fans and far more interested in watching the match than going out and ticketing hundreds of cars whose owners have nowhere else to park anyways :)

What is the relevance of distance travelled by car to parking close by the venue? If I drove from Belfast or Birmingham would I be entitled to, or feel compelled to, park on Rockbarton Road right outside the main entrance to the stadium?

As far AGS members sometimes being more interested in the game than in law enforcement, you're spot on. I recall one big match a few years ago where they were inside in large numbers, some even with their "mountain" bikes. Meanwhile, hundreds of cars were blocking footpaths along numerous local roads, all blissfully unpatrolled and unmonitored.

Attitudes seem to be changing, though, and I hope it's true that a bunch of illegal parkers were ticketed on this occasion also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "A car parked on a footpath."

Can you please answer this question: if it's just a minor matter, why not just park on the road instead of the footpath?
    Because this is one of those cases where anyone who objects to breaking the law is over-reacting because the other poster has decided it is slightly more convenient for him to break the law.

churchview wrote: »
    That could well have been the case. I just saw "Garda Fixed Penalty Notice" on them. I didn't look any closer.

If that is the case, then, as a solution that's worse than useless.

To be fair to AGS, they have taken decisive action in the past: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/parking-fines-spark-outrage-in-galway-135200.html

Therefore there may well be real FPNs in the pipeline.

Clearly no deterrent effect in evidence yet, however. In my view this is because not enough FPNs are issued often enough, the rule is more honoured in the breach than in the observance, and parking on footpaths has become completely normalised. In fact, it has become abnormal or somehow deviant to object to such illegal and inconsiderate behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The problem goes back to the decision to revamp Pearse Stadium over a decade ago without any proper parking or transport plan. I believe there was a 'park and ride' in the original plans, but they never bothered to highlight or implement it.

jkforde wrote: »
    no, the problem is that we Irish are unrepentant hypocrites. If one of the people who parked illegally today had a relative who was injured somewhere else because of someone else's illegal parking they would be the first to vocally complain about the illegality and unethical nature of this kind of behaviour but will, at the drop of a hat, stridently dump their own car and their own needs on someone else when it suits them, with no sense of irony. aah us Irish, unless it impacts on us directly, to f!!k with everyone else. like i said, myopic hypocrites we are.

You're both right really!...back in the day when they applied for planning permission to redevelop the stadium they included loads of traffic management plans and promised new parking spaces, they were actually conditions of the planning approval, but big surprise, the rank amatuers in charge of stadium have still not complied with the planning permission.

Of course that does not give everyone the right to abandon their cars wherever they like because there's a big match on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Speaking of planning permission, did anything every come of the forged Garda signature issue?

Sconsey wrote: »
    have still not complied with the planning permission.

Perhaps that's just another, ahem, signature of the way this city is run.

Edit: snap ^^^^^.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The guards are easily bypassed if you tell them you live near the stadium and recite the name of one of the roads that is inside the local access only zones.

Not that I'm suggesting people do this of course (I don't even have a car, so I can't and wouldn't do it) but it's not difficult for a person to get down next to the stadium if they want to in a car.

How does this work up around the the big stadiums in Dublin? Do they issue an access card to the residents who have vehicles registered in the surrounding streets? It seems to work well up there...?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

The guards are easily bypassed if you tell them you live near the stadium and recite the name of one of the roads that is inside the local access only zones.

Not that I'm suggesting people do this of course (I don't even have a car, so I can't and wouldn't do it) but it's not difficult for a person to get down next to the stadium if they want to in a car.

How does this work up around the the big stadiums in Dublin? Do they issue an access card to the residents who have vehicles registered in the surrounding streets? It seems to work well up there...?

Cover up the Mayo jersey though if going down this route. Not that I'm suggesting you do this either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I found this not to be the case. Garda and in particular the reserves were demanding proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

How much business did this match pull in for local shops,pubs and restaurants yesterday a lot I imagine.
    Still the Victor Meldrews of Galway must whinge and moan over a bit of parking and blame the stadium rather than look on the business this match generated.
    Would you all rather it went to Tuam like past years or can we for once look on the benefits these games bring to hard pressed businesses.
    Some of the posters on this thread need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

How much business did this match pull in for local shops,pubs and restaurants yesterday a lot I imagine.
    Still the Victor Meldrews of Galway must whinge and moan over a bit of parking and blame the stadium rather than look on the business this match generated.
    Would you all rather it went to Tuam like past years or can we for once look on the benefits these games bring to hard pressed businesses.

Feck it, if local business make a few bob it's all good right?

Apart from some childish name-calling that's the sum of your argument, well done.

+1 except for the Tuam part. Most football people would much rather the matches be played in Tuam as Tuam stadium is the home of Galway football and we have won nothing since the move to Pearse stadium.

When we were heading to the match yesterday we were laughing about the pathetic moaners who would no doubt be posting away in the Galway city forum about how the world was possibly going to end because of car parking for a few hours... the state of the Galway football team is a much bigger issue than parking around Pearse stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I found this not to be the case. Garda and in particular the reserves were demanding proof of address.

I would generally carry proof of address with me including bills, house deeds and maybe a tv license to produce them at a whim to AGS members who demand them with no legal basis whatsoever.

In fact can you produce your papers now for us to prove xyz?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Conflicting opinions result in petty digs from those struggling to invent justifiable reasons for lawbreaking, shocker :D

Lets take your justification and mould it just a bit.

My totally not ridiculous, not taking the piss whatsoever, awesome money for business generating plan:

The streets of galway are designed in a fairly fun way, lets close them off for a few hours (illegally of course) of a day and have race ala Fast and the Furious around the town - sure it'll attract a decent crowd so the hard pressed businesses should be delighted with the idea, the benefit it has on everyone else doesn't matter much. So what if it puts a few people out, they're only moaners anyway right! and on the plus side we can unquantifiable say that it was good for business, which at the end of the day is the only thing we should care about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement