Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Whereas Gardaí are basically cowboys with every actual right to clamp your car. Only they're too busy watching the match and sucking up to the GAA to bother their hole.

Did you even read my other post. The amount of Gardai present in the stadium will be a requirement on safety grounds. They have no choice but to be in the ground and without them the game would not be allowed to proceed.

Also Gardai don't clamp cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If only there was some way around these......I cant figure how though like theres no walking space at all.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Did you even read my other post. The amount of Gardai present in the stadium will be a requirement on safety grounds. They have no choice but to be in the ground and without them the game would not be allowed to proceed.

They do tow them though. When they feel like it, which is not often enough.

On safety grounds, what is the requirement for Traffic Corps personnel and vehicles inside the stadium?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Next you'll tell me they're paid to watch the game while they're there in case there's any criminal activity on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I see 4!

4 uniform and 1000 plainclothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Iwannahurl wrote: »

On safety grounds, what is the requirement for Traffic Corps personnel and vehicles inside the stadium?
    But I cant see a way around them. I'm not blind I am rather agreeing with you and the others flummoxed by these obstacles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I'm sorry - I'm trying to figure this out - did you go to Pearse Stadium just to take pictures of the guards from the different entrances? And then check cars parked in disabled spots for stickers?

mercuroman wrote: »
    I'm sorry - I'm trying to figure this out - did you go to Pearse Stadium just to take pictures of the guards from the different entrances? And then check cars parked in disabled spots for stickers?
    Shoot the messenger much? Why does it matter? If nobody provided pics then there'd be 10 times as much moaning that no such things happened.

Shoot the messenger much? Why does it matter? If nobody provided pics then there'd be 10 times as much moaning that no such things happened.

I'd say you are a barrel of laughs when your out!

crusier wrote: »
    I'd say you are a barrel of laughs when your out!
    I'd say you can't address the point and resort to tedious ad hominems when you're out. Just like you do here.

I'd say you can't address the point and resort to tedious ad hominems when you're out. Just like you do here.

I'm messy with drink alright!

• Advertisement

I'm just really curious about this because there's a obvious concerted effort here to portray something and I want to know why - what is the ultimate outcome that is being worked towards?

I'm just really curious about this because there's a obvious concerted effort here to portray something and I want to know why - what is the ultimate outcome that is being worked towards?
    Not as obvious as the attempts to pretend none of this illegality and collusion is happening. And I wonder who benefits most if that succeeds?

Not as obvious as the attempts to pretend none of this illegality and collusion is happening. And I wonder who benefits most if that succeeds?

Sorry - maybe I missed something else - who's colluding to benefit from the illegality? I'm really not trying to be smart here - I'm just trying to understand the argument fully

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But I cant see a way around them. I'm not blind I am rather agreeing with you and the others flummoxed by these obstacles.
    No parking will be allowed at: Taylor’s Hill

Sorry - maybe I missed something else - who's colluding to benefit from the illegality? I'm really not trying to be smart here - I'm just trying to understand the argument fully
    Not sure if serious... you are aware that this was a GAA event that had pitifully organised parking and traffic planning and the predictable chaos and illegality was ignored by the Gardai who were on double time and most got to watch a free match?
    Let me guess, you don't see any connection at all here.

They don't flippin' tow them either! They don't do anything.

Not sure if serious... you are aware that this was a GAA event that had pitifully organised parking and traffic planning and the predictable chaos and illegality was ignored by the Gardai who were on double time and most got to watch a free match?
    Let me guess, you don't see any connection at all here.

Thanks very much - I was serious - sorry if it doesn't seem so. I see that is a connection being made between the Guards and the GAA now alright. Just curious what the guards said when they were asked about it?

Thanks very much - I was serious - sorry if it doesn't seem so. I see that is a connection being made between the Guards and the GAA now alright. Just curious what the guards said when they were asked about it?
    and don't forget Galway City Council
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95883827&postcount=244

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whatever did happen in that case of the GAA forging a guarda signature on a planning application a few years back?

Whatever did happen in that case of the GAA forging a guarda signature on a planning application a few years back?
    Sshhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

Can anyone give an example of medium/large scale event where illegal parking doesn't happen ? I appreciate that some people may think that supporters of other sports wouldn't park illegally, but the reality of the situation is that illegal parking is tolerated in this country. Drive by blackrock tower every evening and you will see illegal parking. Drive by the cathedral when the novena is on, the list goes on. If you think GAA supporters are given a special exemption from parking fines by the Gardai you are deluded.

Until there is large scale enforcement of the law nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

thebackbar wrote: »
    Can anyone give an example of medium/large scale event where illegal parking doesn't happen ? I appreciate that some people may think that supporters of other sports wouldn't park illegally, but the reality of the situation is that illegal parking is tolerated in this country. Drive by blackrock tower every evening and you will see illegal parking. Drive by the cathedral when the novena is on, the list goes on. If you think GAA supporters are given a special exemption from parking fines by the Gardai you are deluded.

I'm sure they will just claim a conspiracy that the gardai support GAA so much since they watched a match. Kevin Walsh did use to be a Garda.

I'm sure they will just claim a conspiracy that the gardai support GAA so much since they watched a matched.
    Either there's a conspiracy, or the Gardai are incapable or unwilling to do their job.
    Take your pick: Laziness, incompetence or corruption?

I'm sure it was as thoroughly investigated by the Gardai as any case of illegal parking at a GAA match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Either there's a conspiracy, or the Gardai are incapable or unwilling to do their job.
    Take your pick: Laziness, incompetence or corruption?

Can I pick all three?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Park & ride.

Does anyone know who actually organised the park & ride? GAA? City council? Bus operator?

Obviously the operator was trying to cut costs by only providing 4 buses but if this was a tender then surely it should have been specified that a minimum amount of buses be provided. The p&r operated a couple of years ago seemed to have been much better organised.

Also, the charges in 2013 were €3 adult €2 child while this year it was €4 adult & €3 child.

I'd say there wotn't be too many people using it next time!!!

jd007 wrote: »
    Can I pick all three?

1850 715 815 talk to Joe

crusier wrote: »
    1850 715 815 talk to Joe
    Would be more use than calling 999 that's for sure...:D

Dropped due to lack of interest evidence.

Actually I don't know. If you or I did it, in order to gain personally from a planning application, you'd think it would be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

thebackbar wrote: »
    If you think GAA supporters are given a special exemption from parking fines by the Gardai you are deluded.

It would be highly surprising if there wasn't a GAA/AGS connection, for the simple reason that the GAA is such a broad-based and popular organisation.

But you're right, the parking madness is not confined to GAA events, and AGS is not giving them a special dispensation. They're giving motorists a special dispensation, in the same way that the Council gave god-bothering motorists a plenary indulgence by closing off a road beside the Cathedral so that they could park a few steps away free of charge and free of all responsibility. This in a small city supposedly choked with traffic to the extent that a €500 million "bypass" is urgently required to end otherwise unavoidable "gridlock".

There is no large-scale enforcement, or large-scale traffic plan for major events or congested roads, because the corporate culture in the AGS and Council is laissez faire accommodation of cars to the maximum extent possible. All else is secondary, including road safety and access for people travelling by any means other than the private car.
    cocoman wrote: »
    Park & ride.

Does anyone know who actually organised the park & ride? GAA? City council? Bus operator?

Obviously the operator was trying to cut costs by only providing 4 buses but if this was a tender then surely it should have been specified that a minimum amount of buses be provided. The p&r operated a couple of years ago seemed to have been much better organised.

Also, the charges in 2013 were €3 adult €2 child while this year it was €4 adult & €3 child.

I'd say there wotn't be too many people using it next time!!!

There weren't many people using it this time. The image of empty buses stuck in gridlock is emblematic of traffic management and transportation policy in Galway. It neatly sums up where the relevant authorities are at in terms of addressing the fundamental issues -- see above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement