Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It would be highly surprising if there wasn't a GAA/AGS connection, for the simple reason that the GAA is such a broad-based and popular organisation.

But you're right, the parking madness is not confined to GAA events, and AGS is not giving them a special dispensation. They're giving motorists a special dispensation, in the same way that the Council gave god-bothering motorists a plenary indulgence by closing off a road beside the Cathedral so that they could park a few steps away free of charge and free of all responsibility. This in a small city supposedly choked with traffic to the extent that a €500 million "bypass" is urgently required to end otherwise unavoidable "gridlock".

There is no large-scale enforcement, or large-scale traffic plan for major events or congested roads, because the corporate culture in the AGS and Council is laissez faire accommodation of motorists to the maximum extent possible. All else is secondary, including road safety and access for people travelling by any means other than the private car.

I guess AGS has to work with the resources it has available to it which is never adequate, they also have to work with the location and road network which is the result of 30 years of bad planning of which they have had little say or imput and when they had it was ignored. They have to deal with whingers who want to drive to the gate and park at the gate and whingers who go around with prams and no child in them trying to find a place they cannot pass and then take photos. The would be no matches, race week, arts festival, paddy's day parade. Airshow ( sorry they shafted that one) if Dan or Iwh had their way. But we could always walk around the town and see the empty streets !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

crusier wrote: »
    I guess AGS has to work with the resources it has available to it which is never adequate
    Which is why as many Gardai as possible need to be stationed within yards of the pitch and watch the pitch intently for any signs of criminal activity in the 50 or so yards in front of them. Best possible use of manpower that.
    They have to deal with whingers who want to drive to the gate and park at the gate
    How do they deal with them? "Howya"?
    and whingers who go around with prams and no child in them trying to find a place they cannot pass and then take photos.
    Evidence of this happening please.
    So it isn't illegal parking unless some "whinger" comes along with a pram? So as long as you can confirm no prams will be used in the vicinity, you are free to park on any footpath you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I guess AGS has to work with the resources it has available to it which is never adequate, they also have to work with the location and road network which is the result of 30 years of bad planning of which they have had little say or imput and when they had it was ignored. They have to deal with whingers who want to drive to the gate and park at the gate and whingers who go around with prams and no child in them trying to find a place they cannot pass and then take photos. The would be no matches, race week, arts festival, paddy's day parade. Airshow ( sorry they shafted that one) if Dan or Iwh had their way. But we could always walk around the town and see the empty streets !

Unless Gandalf is blocking the way you can realistically pass most "obstacles"

Unless Gandalf is blocking the way you can realistically pass most "obstacles"
    Ah, I see. So you're proposing we remove all parking restrictions nationwide? I'll just drop the Astra in front of A+E for the day then while I catch a GAA match... obstacles aren't obstacles at all you see!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Ah, I see. So you're proposing we remove all parking restrictions nationwide? I'll just drop the Astra in front of A+E for the day then while I catch a GAA match... obstacles aren't obstacles at all you see!

I didnt know there was evidence of these GAA attendees parking in the A&E so that they could get to Pearse Stadium. I presume have evidence of this Mr. Solo as you would never make up wild accusations. Can I see your evidence?

Or are you just totally moving the goalposts? I thought ye were complaining about the havok at Pearse Stadium caused by these foul vehicles obstructing footpaths in a clearly unavoidable way but now you are complaining about blocking A&E. What criteria is this? Or does Pearse Stadium have a A&E I am unaware of? Totally different things mate.

• Advertisement

I didnt know there was evidence of these GAA attendees parking in the A&E so that they could get to Pearse Stadium. I presume have evidence of this Mr. Solo as you would never make up wild accusations. Can I see your evidence?

Or are you just totally moving the goalposts? I thought ye were complaining about the havok at Pearse Stadium caused by these foul vehicles obstructing footpaths in a clearly unavoidable way but now you are complaining about blocking A&E. What criteria is this? Or does Pearse Stadium have a A&E I am unaware of? Totally different things mate.
    Oh fine then, can you "mate" tell us when and where parking restrictions are to be in place and/or enforced. You seemed to be making a case that everybody should just ignore them if they reckon it'll be grand. Now apparently it's OK some places but not others.
    So, to be clear: parking across the full width of a FOOTpath is grand and dandy under your new rules... but not blocking A+E? What about blocking residential driveways? OK/not OK under your new rules? Anything consistent other than whatever you feel at the time or make it up as you go along?
    Thought not.

mercuroman wrote: »
    I'm sorry - I'm trying to figure this out - did you go to Pearse Stadium just to take pictures of the guards from the different entrances? And then check cars parked in disabled spots for stickers?

Exactly this and it's pathetic.

Once drive ways aren't blocked and roads aren't blocked to traffic or emergency services (or disabled spaces abused) I think it's right to turn a blind eye to most other things like parking on footpaths etc for big events such as matches, the novena etc it's only for a few hours every now and again and it's only fair that people can park a reasonable distance from their destination.

Oh fine then, can you "mate" tell us when and where parking restrictions are to be in place and/or enforced. You seemed to be making a case that everybody should just ignore them if they reckon it'll be grand. Now apparently it's OK some places but not others.
    So, to be clear: parking across the full width of a FOOTpath is grand and dandy under your new rules... but not blocking A+E? What about blocking residential driveways? OK/not OK under your new rules? Anything consistent other than whatever you feel at the time or make it up as you go along?
    Thought not.

Well then you (unsuprisingly) thought wrong Mr.Solo! (also bizzare placement of "mate" in your response). Now 1st things first, you put a lot of emphasis on the "foot" part of "footpath". Is this due to you believing that only feet and no wheels are allowed at all. This is rather discriminatory against wheelchair users and people who have buggies. Or are you knee jerk responses always so poorly thought out and phrased? Or do you just make them up presuming not to be questioned?

Well you picked A&E as your example and blocking it. Well A&E is used to transport patients who may be seriously wounded and in need of immediate care. Blocking this may lead to a persons death. There is no option of just walking around the car if you have a patient on a strecher who may need to be loaded/unloaded (the strecher is not just thrown in you know?). You having to navigate around a car buying milk or walking your dog you wont die doing that mate! Well the stakes arent as high.

Do you actually think that you being inconvenienced and having your walk rerouted by maybe a metre and having to briefly navigate a road (the Safe Cross Code is great help for this if your stuck) is this same as obstructing the emergency services from potentially saving someones life?

I see no problem with making sure the Gardai ensure A&E stays unblocked. As that could save lives. Whining about a footpath being blocked isn't life or death. Blocking A&E is.

I couldn't help but notice you still havent explained your desire to park your Astra in an A&E to get to Pearse Stadium? Are you going to explain that point or hope it floats away?

If you key an illegally parked car, is it likely the driver will go to the Gardaí? :)

Also Mr.Solo I couldnt help but think of this. Are you allowed perform acts of vandalism so long as the driver wont report you? You seem to be trying to claim that I am selectively choosing when and where the law applies yet this post is hardly showing you have much care for law enforcement, if you can get away with breaking it. You seem to want parking rules strictly enforced but vandalism laws ignored. Fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Once drive ways aren't blocked and roads aren't blocked to traffic or emergency services (or disabled spaces abused) I think it's right to turn a blind eye

The problem was that drive ways were blocked, approach roads were blocked and disabled spaces were abused.

That is unnacceptable behaviour to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

There's so much faulty thinking in that post, it's worth dissecting it line by line. I'll do that later...

Well then you (unsuprisingly) thought wrong Mr.Solo! (also bizzare placement of "mate" in your response). Now 1st things first, you put a lot of emphasis on the "foot" part of "footpath". Is this due to you believing that only feet and no wheels are allowed at all. This is rather discriminatory against wheelchair users and people who have buggies. Or are you knee jerk responses always so poorly thought out and phrased? Or do you just make them up presuming not to be questioned?
    Your pedantry is quite ironic considering it is you yourself who is proposing those same wheelchair and buggy users should be forced onto the road whenever a car owner feels like it. Or are you just a bit of a sociopath who couldn't care less if wheelchair users have to go up and down a kerb into traffic?
    Well you picked A&E as your example and blocking it. Well A&E is used to transport patients who may be seriously wounded and in need of immediate care. Blocking this may lead to a persons death. There is no option of just walking around the car if you have a patient on a strecher who may need to be loaded/unloaded (the strecher is not just thrown in you know?). You having to navigate around a car buying milk or walking your dog you wont die doing that mate! Well the stakes arent as high.
    Oh, well earlier you were insisting something or other about only Gandalf being able to make obstacles that cannot be passed. This may be a shock, so you might want to sit down before hearing it, but Gandalf is a fictional character. Apologies if this is a bit of a finding-out-about-Santa moment for you. You see when you brought up fictional magicians to make, what we shall for reasons of expediency, refer to as "your case", you left pretty much no obstacles that you assured us anybody can get around whenever they want. I see you now wish to backtrack and qualify your statement. That's OK, we can't always just make jokes with fantasy characters in them and expect to work that well without a few extra details, eh?
    Do you actually think that you being inconvenienced and having your walk rerouted by maybe a metre and having to briefly navigate a road (the Safe Cross Code is great help for this if your stuck) is this same as obstructing the emergency services from potentially saving someones life?
    Oh I see, we're back to everybody walking again are we? What happened to those wheelchair and buggy users you were so determined to champion earlier? Sounds suspiciously as if you didn't give a damn about them at all now, doesn't it? Onto to the road with ye lads, I've got a match to watch!

Also Mr.Solo I couldnt help but think of this. Are you allowed perform acts of vandalism so long as the driver wont report you? You seem to be trying to claim that I am selectively choosing when and where the law applies yet this post is hardly showing you have much care for law enforcement, if you can get away with breaking it. You seem to want parking rules strictly enforced but vandalism laws ignored. Fascinating.
    Who knows, maybe the Gardai have the same approach to vandalism as they do to illegal parking: Who (is playing for Galway today)? What (is my bonus for this)? Where (can I locate myself to have the least possible chance of catching criminals)?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There's so much faulty thinking in that post, it's worth dissecting it line by line. I'll do that later...

I can't wait, make sure its line by line, but I must warn you I'm not into reading paragraphs of whinging ****e. It might save you some time!

I can't wait, make sure its line by line, but I must warn you I'm not into reading paragraphs of whinging ****e. It might save you some time!
    Of course, anything approaching logic or objectivity will be "whinging ****e" by definition with the GAA/AGS fanclub here.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

zarquon wrote: »
    The problem was that drive ways were blocked, approach roads were blocked and disabled spaces were abused.

That is unnacceptable behaviour to say the least.

But I thought it was found that all cars in the parking spaces were badged?

What happened when you told the guards about the blocked driveways, etc? I'd just like to know what happened when someone complained to them about that or them watching the match?

What happened when you told the guards about the blocked driveways, etc? I'd just like to know what happened when someone complained to them about that or them watching the match?
    They got harassed for the rest of their lives? Isn't that what usually happens when you criticize the Gardai?

They got harassed for the rest of their lives? Isn't that what usually happens when you criticize the Gardai?

Maybe asking them about attending the match could be considered criticism. What about letting them know about the illegally parked cars? Did they dismiss it or have some excuse?

Or at least they thought they did!

But I thought it was found that all cars in the parking spaces were badged?

Not true, 2 of the 4 allocated spaces at the stadium did not have the "blue badge" when i was looking for parking. Another one was using a permit that was a few years out of date so completely invalid so one can assume was used by a chancer using an expired borrowed one. 3 of the 5 disabled spots on the prom were taken up by able bodied people (no permit)

In case i get accused of being a busy body, i had a permit and a disability and because of scumbag behaviour i could not get parking near the stadium. I actually looked for a garda to report the cars at the stadium but there were none outside as the traffic corp were inside the stadium where they should not be and so i could not report the disabled parking abusers whom should have been towed as i had to park first before i could enter! :mad:. They were paid double time to do a simple job but instead they enjoyed the game instead and then did a little bit of junction management afterwards once their recreation was over.

I'm absolutely disgusted with them, double pay and they still won't do their job properly. I understand that gardai are needed in the stadium for safety reasons but the traffic corp have no place being inside the stadium whilst ignoring abuse of the law right outside the stadium.

Like i said, i could not report the illegal parking as the traffic corp gardai were INSIDE the stadium which is outrageous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Exactly this and it's pathetic.

The person may have had foresight, maybe they live or lived in the city before and had seen the same warnings that the rest of us did about the parking restrictions before the match. Then they saw that the people who are meant to be regulating the traffic were in the stadium and decided to take pictures.

I don't see how that's pathetic, at all. I don't know if you guys who are speaking about how it's not a big deal to walk around the cars have the base of living in that part of the city and putting up with it or if you are just taking it from the viewpoint of people who don't know what it's like and can't show empathy to the people impacted by it.

Not true, 2 of the 4 allocated spaces at the stadium did not have the "blue badge" when i was looking for parking. Another one was using a permit that was a few years out of date so completely invalid so one can assume was used by a chancer using an expired borrowed one. 3 of the 5 disabled spots on the prom were taken up by able bodied people (no permit)

In case i get accused of being a busy body, i had a permit and a disability and because of scumbag behaviour i could not get parking near the stadium. I actually looked for a garda to report the cars at the stadium but there were none outside as the traffic corp were inside the stadium where they should not be and so i could not report the disabled parking abusers whom should have been towed as i had to park first before i could enter! :mad:. They were paid double time to do a simple job but instead they enjoyed the game instead and then did a little bit of junction management afterwards once their recreation was over.

I'm absolutely disgusted with them, double pay and they still won't do their job properly. I understand that gardai are needed in the stadium for safety reasons but the traffic corp have no place being inside the stadium whilst ignoring abuse of the law right outside the stadium.

Like i said, i could not report the illegal parking as the traffic corp gardai were INSIDE the stadium which is outrageous!

Thanks for the info - apologies for my misstating about the parking in disabled spot - I thought I had read earlier that someone had investigated and found that they were fine.
    I think your post is the best I've read about the frustrations of the day. I really hope you follow up on it - there's going to be matches in Salthill every year for many to come.

That's not acceptable I agree, you should ring Salthill station next time and ask for a garda to call out to the location and point out the car to them, most would be only too happy to have it towed away if it was parked in a disabled spot or at the least issue a fine if a toe wagon is unavailable.

That's not acceptable I agree, you should ring Salthill station next time and ask for a garda to call out to the location and point out the car to them, most would be only too happy to have it towed away if it was parked in a disabled spot or at the least issue a fine if a toe wagon is unavailable.

There were numerous gardai in attendance already! I should not have to ring the station. They were paid double to do a simple job and did not do it. I will be issuing a formal complaint which will no doubt get ignored as the greater good of a big event to the city is far more important to these overpaid lazy public servants than the likes of me. The whole towing and clamping notices issued in advance of the game were complete lip service and people know by now that they can call the bluff of the gardai as they don't care. The only thing the traffic corp did do was keep the traffic flowing to and from the stadium, they had no interest in anything else which is ridiculous considering their "zero tolerance" press release in advance of the game!

There were numerous gardai in attendance already! I should not have to ring the station. They were paid double to do a simple job and did not do it. I will be issuing a formal complaint which will no doubt get ignored as the greater good of a big event to the city is far more important to these overpaid lazy public servants than the likes of me.

You probably prefer the whing than a solution!

Victim blaming, how nice of you. I stated my problem and how i was affected and you classify this as whinging! I also stated i will be issuing formal complaints in order to seek a future solution, one which i fear will fall on deaf ears as usual.

Of course you and people like you can continue with your victim blaming nonsense. I suppose the local residents who get blocked into their own driveways are "whingers" too! :rolleyes:

Does that mean you would be a whinger too if you complained to the gardai if your car was illegally damaged during the event or does victim blaming not apply only in the circumstance that you are a victim!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My dad is a disabled driver. It's a common occurence for him to want to go somewhere only to pull up and find there was no parking by the door. So he would have to forget about it and go home.

If 'whinging' helps solve the problem. Everybody should whinge away.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My dad is a disabled drive. It's a common occurence for him to want to go somewhere only to pull up and find there was no parking by the door. So he would have to forget about it and go home.

If 'whinging' helps solve the problem. Everybody should whinge away.

Crusier would define your dad as a whinger too. Don't you know its far more important that shoppers get parking as near as possible to the shops and GAA fans as near to the stadium as possible, disabled drivers can feck off as they are just whingers.

This city is an absolute disgrace when it comes to disabled parking abuse. The worst i experience are the spot at blackrock (usually abled bodied swimmers), Eyre street (the absolute worst imo), dunnes knocknacarra and middle street. It was no surprise that the abuse of disabled parking would be exacerbated on a big match day.

Perhaps some day a vigilante will start keying cars involved in such disregard and then we can start accusing such car owners as whingers when they report the illegal damage to their cars. - Or maybe just maybe, Galwegians can learn to be civilised considerate motorists - Nah, that's probably asking too much.

Perhaps some day a vigilante will start keying cars involved in such disregard and then we can start accusing such car owners as whingers when they report the illegal damage to their cars.
    Wasn't Monroe Lively Motor whinging about his car getting keyed earlier on? He should really MTFU. What a moaner!

• Advertisement

Wasn't Monroe Lively Motor whinging about his car getting keyed earlier on? He should really MTFU. What a moaner!

Whats that about? That's some attitude to have - you're here lamenting the fact that people parked illegally but delight in the fact that someone was the victim of criminal damage? IMO an asinine post like that does little to further any argument you put forward and does nothing to help turn peoples opinion. If you want to show people that something is wrong and we should do something to right it you are doing absolutely nothing to help your, or anyone you agree with's, case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement