Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

mercuroman wrote: »
    Whats that about? That's some attitude to have - you're here lamenting the fact that people parked illegally but delight in the fact that someone was the victim of criminal damage? IMO an asinine post like that does little to further any argument you put forward and does nothing to help turn peoples opinion. If you want to show people that something is wrong and we should do something to right it you are doing absolutely nothing to help your, or anyone you agree with's, case.

Completely agree, criminal damage is just as bad as illegal parking, breaking the law is wrong no matter what it is. I think the point he is trying to make though is that those that break the law for their own convenience accuse the naysayers and victims of whinging and hypocritically some of the same people then change their tune when they are inconvenienced by other law breakers. They want to have their cake and eat it too i.e. have the gardai turn a blind eye when they break the law and then cry foul when the gardai don't do enough when they become a victim themselves

it's easy for the out of towners to not give a damn about illegal parking as it's something that will rarely if ever affect them, especially if from a rural area. The chances of vehicular damage is much higher though and is of concern to such people. For example parking on the very narrow taylors hill could mean someone clipping the car or at least a mirror. I can imagine the outrage of someone coming back from the game to find such damage to their car even if its accidental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Whats that about? That's some attitude to have - you're here lamenting the fact that people parked illegally but delight in the fact that someone was the victim of criminal damage? IMO an asinine post like that does little to further any argument you put forward and does nothing to help turn peoples opinion. If you want to show people that something is wrong and we should do something to right it you are doing absolutely nothing to help your, or anyone you agree with's, case.
    He admitted to parking illegally. He got keyed. He whinges about it.
    Seems to have worked out just fine as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

zarquon wrote: »
    it's easy for the out of towners to not give a damn about illegal parking as it's something that will rarely if ever affect them, especially if from a rural area. The chances of vehicular damage is much higher though and is of concern to such people. For example parking on the very narrow taylors hill could mean someone clipping the car or at least a mirror. I can imagine the outrage of someone coming back from the game to find such damage to their car even if its accidental.

I've tried to write a response to this a few times but I just can't express properly my amazement at this. I really don't know how you can think like that - you don't see how that makes you exactly the same as the people you're giving out about! It's a Me Fein attitude because its how it affected you - the same as what they did is completely about what they wanted.

I've tried to write a response to this a few times but I just can't express properly my amazement at this. I really don't know how you can think like that - you don't see how that makes you exactly the same as the people you're giving out about! It's a Me Fein attitude because its how it affected you - the same as what they did is completely about what they wanted.

I'm sorry i'm completely lost! I don't wish ill on anyone, i already said illegal activity of any kind is wrong. I used a hypothetical scenario where illegally parking a car on taylor's hill could incur accidental damage to the car by clipping as it's very narrow - i've had my car clipped whilst legally parked once on a narrow city street so i know its very possible.

You may need to re-read my posts properly as you seem to be very confused about what i'm actually saying! Either that or you have quoted the wrong person (do you mean to respond to Dan Solo?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Crusier would define your dad as a whinger too. Don't you know its far more important that shoppers get parking as near as possible to the shops and GAA fans as near to the stadium as possible, disabled drivers can feck off as they are just whingers.

This city is an absolute disgrace when it comes to disabled parking abuse. The worst i experience are the spot at blackrock (usually abled bodied swimmers), Eyre street (the absolute worst imo), dunnes knocknacarra and middle street. It was no surprise that the abuse of disabled parking would be exacerbated on a big match day.

Perhaps some day a vigilante will start keying cars involved in such disregard and then we can start accusing such car owners as whingers when they report the illegal damage to their cars. - Or maybe just maybe, Galwegians can learn to be civilised considerate motorists - Nah, that's probably asking too much.

Why dont you or the others who liked your post become this vigalante. The Gardai arent able to meet your essential needs. Why dont one of you lot take up the "Keyman" identity. You can be like the real life Batman. Irradicating the city of illegal parkers one keyed car at a time. You want and ask for a hero, why not be the hero the city desperately needs?

But no you merely hope that someone else will step forward and become Keyman. You can be the hero this city deserves maybe if you leave Boards and pick up that set of keys you could save the city.

• Advertisement

Why dont you or the others who liked your post become this vigalante. The Gardai arent able to meet your essential needs. Why dont one of you lot take up the "Keyman" identity. You can be like the real life Batman. Irradicating the city of illegal parkers one keyed car at a time. You want and ask for a hero, why not be the hero the city desperately needs?

But no you merely hope that someone else will step forward and become Keyman. You can be the hero this city deserves maybe if you leave Boards and pick up that set of keys you could save the city.

I certainly hope that no one engages in such activity. I was being hypothetically facetious using hyperbole to demonstrate a point and did so because i recalled of one overly vocal illegal parker in this thread who had his car keyed in the past due to the same activity and complained, rightly so!(for the record, i completely disagree with the criminal damage). The point was that when the law is broken and someone is a victim due to it they are classed as whingers by classless victim blamers who are more than likely culprits of illegal parking on Sunday and use victim blaming to deflect responsibility for their own actions. Some of these victim blamers could and have been victims themselves in the past whereupon one could construe by their own classifications that they were whingers too.

There's a lot of hypocracy flying around and i would love a city in which we would all be civil and considerate to one another but there is a lot of selfishness floating around with motorists and when karma bites the selfish people should realise how others feel.

Events like the match on Sunday bring out the worst kind of selfishness in some people, and certainly a significant percentage of matchgoers who have no qualms about inconveniencing others for their own convenience.

What goes around comes around, gloat with glee when the gardai overlook your indiscretion but don't cry when the gardai overlook an indiscretion against you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

crusier wrote: »
    I'm not into reading paragraphs of ****e.

You're expert at writing it though.

Your comments about Garda resources being a prime example. It's perfectly clear that it's not a resource issue with AGS, but a lack of professionalism and decent management. On the motorists' part it's pure laziness and selfishness, reinforced time and time again by Garda indifference and inaction.

It's remarkable that taxes are being used to pay Gardai double their wages to watch a football match on a sunny Sunday. Complaints are made about scarce resources, yet there were numerous Gardai inside the stadium doing no more than standing around enjoying the game. There were at least four Garda vehicles in and around the stadium. There was a Traffic Corps car parked inside for the duration.

There was even an Emergency Response Unit vehicle outside, ffs. What were they doing there? Defending against possible ISIL attack? Guarding against infiltration of the GAA by the Continuity IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You're expert at writing it though.

Your comments about Garda resources being a prime example. It's perfectly clear that it's not a resource issue with AGS, but a lack of professionalism and decent management. On the motorists' part it's pure laziness and selfishness, reinforced time and time again by Garda indifference and inaction.

It's remarkable that taxes are being used to pay Gardai double their wages to watch a football match on a sunny Sunday. Complaints are made about scarce resources, yet there were numerous Gardai inside the stadium doing no more than standing around enjoying the game. There were at least four Garda vehicles in and around the stadium. There was a Traffic Corps car parked inside for the duration.

There was even an Emergency Response Unit vehicle outside, ffs. What were they doing there? Defending against possible ISIL attack? Guarding against infiltration of the GAA by the Continuity IRA?

What an anti climax, I was expecting better than that!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    He admitted to parking illegally. He got keyed. He whinges about it.
    Seems to have worked out just fine as far as I can see.

I may technically have been parked illegally (due to the inadequate level of parking provided) when it happened but it was parking that would effect nobody. It was a footpath almost wide enough for two cars to park side by side so anybody walking, wheeling a pram or in a wheelchair could pass however as it was in the middle the night it happened I doubt it was anyone in any way effected just some scumbag who decided they would act like a vile criminal and key not only my car but two other cars belonging to friends of mine parked in line with mine and none causing the slightest obstruction.

The person is very lucky though as there were a number of groups of us returning from our night out to a friends house which we were parked outside and it happened between two groups, if they were caught...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I may technically have been parked illegally (due to the inadequate level of parking provided) when it happened but it was parking that would effect nobody. It was a footpath almost wide enough for two cars to park side by side so anybody walking, wheeling a pram or in a wheelchair could pass however as it was in the middle the night it happened I doubt it was anyone in any way effected just some scumbag who decided they would act like a vile criminal and key not only my car but two other cars belonging to friends of mine parked in line with mine and none causing the slightest obstruction.

The person is very lucky though as there were a number of groups of us returning from our night out to a friends house which we were parked outside and it happened between two groups, if they were caught...........

You started so well. I was thinking, at least he's admitting his wrong doing but then it all came un-done with making excuses for your behavior and why it's more acceptable than keying a car. One may be more 'vile' than the other but it doesn't make what you did any less wrong. There's no valid excuse for parking illegally outside of an absolute emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

Oh My God - the lack of tolerance on this thread is unbelievable. On all sides. Do I expect to be able to drive around town on Sun 14/6/15 the same as every other Sunday? No, I don't. Do I think they're all Mayo drivers? No, Galway's a big county. Are they all going to park correctly? Possibly not. Am I going to go around & key those cars that are not, in my opinion, parked as they should? No, because the minute I do that I commit a vicious, cruel, decided act that cannot be justified. If you have a problem with a car, bike, pedestrian - report it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Delicia wrote: »
    Oh My God - the lack of tolerance on this thread is unbelievable. On all sides. Do I expect to be able to drive around town on Sun 14/6/15 the same as every other Sunday? No, I don't. Do I think they're all Mayo drivers? No, Galway's a big county. Are they all going to park correctly? Possibly not. Am I going to go around & key those cars that are not, in my opinion, parked as they should? No, because the minute I do that I commit a vicious, cruel, decided act that cannot be justified. If you have a problem with a car, bike, pedestrian - report it

I think the discussion was around the lack of enforcement and one poster wanted to report but couldn't...

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I think the discussion was around the lack of enforcement and one poster wanted to report but couldn't...

They could if they really wanted to but they didnt !

I may technically have been parked illegally (due to the inadequate level of parking provided)
    Yer honour, it was only technically illegal that I robbed that bank, due to the inadequate level of money provided to me.
    Yeah, but they weren't. Nobody would even need to break stride to key your car. Even if you were looking out the window at them you mightn't notice. Not going to happen.

Am I going to go around & key those cars that are not, in my opinion, parked as they should?
    And here it is again. Apparently it's "an opinion" whether a car so far up a footpath that it can't be used is "parked as they should". Maybe it's "an opinion" that keying your car is grand too?
    No, because the minute I do that I commit a vicious, cruel, decided act that cannot be justified.
    Vicious and cruel? ISIS should start keying cars instead of beheadings if they want some real media attention!
    It's paint on a car. It is impossible to be "vicious" or "cruel" to it. Paint. Not flesh. Paint.

They could if they really wanted to but they didnt !

I did but only after the fact due to an inability to access the traffic corp gardai at the stadium who should have been stationed outside and it was to a garda at at the threadneedle/dr mannix junction which was the nearest garda that i could see. I know it was not acted on because when i circled around again later the same cars were still in the same disabled spots and there was no garda directly outside the stadium. I'm sure he had the capability to radio back to the stadium for someone to take a look outside so i can only assume that either he didn't bother or the gardai at the stadium couldn't bother their arse with the hassle that would entail actually doing their jobs. Hence i will be submitting formal complaints about the issue to the relevant bodies, but i feel they will be completely ignored.

But of course how dare i whinge about expecting overpaid gardai to do their jobs and how dare i whinge about able bodied people taken up disabled spots and causing disabled people great distress in accessing the game. For shame on me and my whinging. I should have done like the rest of the victim blamers in this thread and show similar contempt for others by just blocking someones gate or drive on rockbarton and if the residents had a problem with me doing so i could just let them know that they are whingers.

Honestly the atitudes of some in society fails me sometimes and it upsets me reading the general contempt and lack of consideration that some have in this thread. The same type of sh1tty atitude that i read about just today:

http://www.thejournal.ie/joanne-o-riordan-train-abuse-wheelchair-2165964-Jun2015/
    Oh My God - the lack of tolerance on this thread is unbelievable. On all sides.

Under no circumstances will i ever tolerate anyone parking illegally in a disabled zone, it's scumbag motoring behaviour of the highest order and the only people who think it's okay or that we should turn a blind eye to such behaviour are the type of individual who engage in such scummy behaviour. Please let me know where you live so that i can park my car in front of your drive and put a note on my car reminding you to be more tolerant of me - i'm pretty sure in such a circumstance you would ignore the request and exhibit the same intolerance you chastise others for. Essentially telling people to tolerate behaviour that affects you in no way is a fallacy and ridiculous to say the least. Only in the circumstance that you would tolerate behaviour that negatively affects you would this not be seen as hypocritical.

And here it is again. Apparently it's "an opinion" whether a car so far up a footpath that it can't be used is "parked as they should". Maybe it's "an opinion" that keying your car is grand too?Vicious and cruel? ISIS should start keying cars instead of beheadings if they want some real media attention!
    It's paint on a car. It is impossible to be "vicious" or "cruel" to it. Paint. Not flesh. Paint.

Get. A. Grip. Is it vicious & cruel to do damage to somebody (or their belongings, family, house, car, career, reputation, etc...) on purpose, with decision & intent? Yes, it is. I've now read this thread & associated it with child abuse (by the word 'vile') & ISIS. Seriously??

Yer honour, it was only technically illegal that I robbed that bank, due to the inadequate level of money provided to me.

Well as cars park there day and night and are never ticketed by wardens or Gardai I would be fairly confident that parking is being allowed due to the width of the path and lack of other parking availability.
    Yeah, but they weren't. Nobody would even need to break stride to key your car. Even if you were looking out the window at them you mightn't notice. Not going to happen.

We could easily have rounded the corner and caught the person in the act,the cars could be seen from a long way off and the only escape route (other than back towards the direction we were coming from) would have them visible for a long way due to the road being long and straight so catching up wouldn't be difficult.
    Get. A. Grip. Is it vicious & cruel to do damage to somebody (or their belongings, family, house, car, career, reputation, etc...) on purpose, with decision & intent? Yes, it is. I've now read this thread & associated it with child abuse (by the word 'vile') & ISIS. Seriously??

People have no respect for their cars that's the problem, I take an attack on my car as a personal attack on me as I am a car enthusiast and like to keep my car in immaculate condition.

I did but only after the fact due to an inability to access the traffic corp gardai at the stadium who should have been stationed outside and it was to a garda at at the threadneedle/dr mannix junction which was the nearest garda that i could see. I know it was not acted on because when i circled around again later the same cars were still in the same disabled spots and there was no garda directly outside the stadium. I'm sure he had the capability to radio back to the stadium for someone to take a look outside so i can only assume that either he didn't bother or the gardai at the stadium couldn't bother their arse with the hassle that would entail actually doing their jobs. Hence i will be submitting formal complaints about the issue to the relevant bodies, but i feel they will be completely ignored.

But of course how dare i whinge about expecting overpaid gardai to do their jobs and how dare i whinge about able bodied people taken up disabled spots and causing disabled people great distress in accessing the game. For shame on me and my whinging. I should have done like the rest of the victim blamers in this thread and show similar contempt for others by just blocking someones gate or drive on rockbarton and if the residents had a problem with me doing so i could just let them know that they are whingers.

Honestly the atitudes of some in society fails me sometimes and it upsets me reading the general contempt and lack of consideration that some have in this thread. The same type of sh1tty atitude that i read about just today:

http://www.thejournal.ie/joanne-o-riordan-train-abuse-wheelchair-2165964-Jun2015/

Under no circumstances will i ever tolerate anyone parking illegally in a disabled zone, it's scumbag motoring behaviour of the highest order and the only people who think it's okay or that we should turn a blind eye to such behaviour are the type of individual who engage in such scummy behaviour. Please let me know where you live so that i can park my car in front of your drive and put a note on my car reminding you to be more tolerant of me - i'm pretty sure in such a circumstance you would ignore the request and exhibit the same intolerance you chastise others for. Essentially telling people to tolerate behaviour that affects you in no way is a fallacy and ridiculous to say the least. Only in the circumstance that you would tolerate behaviour that negatively affects you would this not be seen as hypocritical.

Well, now we know not all gardai were watching the match and you now admit you did report it, how do you know that a ticket was not issued after your report, you seem more interested in running down public servants working on a Sunday and playing the victim. I would normally have some sympathy but not for you and you derogatory attitude!

Well, now we know not all gardai were watching the match and you now admit you did report it, how do you know that a ticket was not issued after your report, you seem more interested in running down public servants working on a Sunday and playing the victim. I would normally have some sympathy but not for you and you derogatory attitude!

I already said some were managing traffic flows on approach to and from the stadium but not at the stadium itself. I also said i could not report at the time, not without illegally parking and then paying to go into the stadium so i could only do it after looking for a space in salthill and then circling around again. No gardai were enforcing the parking laws though, certainly that i could see. I also could not see if the disabled parking scummers got a ticket, but a ticket on their car is no good to me when i can't get close parking to the stadium, that's the whole point of the allocated spots.

I'm not surprised you have no sympathy for a disabled driver who complains about illegal disabled parking usage, it sounds like you are someone who would do the same if you knew you could get away with it. How dare i play the victim with my disability. I should just suck it up and limp myself with walking aids a couple of kilometers to pearse, would that appease you. I hope so because that's exactly what happened unfortunately and then i have people like you talk down to me and accuse me of playing the victim for complaining about what happened. Give me break!!!!!! God forbid you find yourself with a debilitating terminal illness someday, be sure to follow your own advice and not play the victim when you can't get disabled parking due to abled bodied scumbags breaking the law whom i'm told i should be more tolerant of.

• Advertisement

I already said some were managing traffic flows on approach to and from the stadium but not at the stadium itself. None were enforcing the parking laws though, certainly that i could see. I also could not see if the disabled parking scummers got a ticket, but a ticket on their car is no good to me when i can't get close parking to the stadium, that's the whole point of the allocated spots.

I'm not surprised you have no sympathy for a disabled driver who complains about illegal disabled parking usage, it sounds like you are someone who would do the same if you knew you could get away with it. How dare i play the victim with my disability. I should just suck it up and limp myself with walking aids a couple of kilometers to pearse, would that appease you.

While your at it insult everyone along the route too!

While your at it insult everyone along the route too!

Why are you so adamant to engage in victim blaming against disabled drivers. Is it your conscience trying to deflect? Certainly seems that way. How you cannot see my grievance is beyond me and only demonstrates a complete lack of empathy on your part and social conscience on your part.

It's clear from your atitude that you don't give a damn about incoveniencing disabled drivers and seem more put out by a disabled driver complaining about such activity. I can't really say what i think about this without an infraction so i'll leave it there.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

2. This is an issue I'm personally very touchy about, so I checked the cars parked in some disabled spaces close to the stadium. All had 'blue badges', though I can't say all of them were valid. There may have been abuse of disabled spaces elsewhere, which wouldn't surprise me in the least./QUOTE]

Apparently disabled spaces were checked by none other than our own. Aspersions were cast but not verified so carry on - nothing to see here....

Why are you so adamant to engage in victim blaming against disabled drivers. Is it your conscience trying to deflect? Certainly seems that way. How you cannot see my grievance is beyond me and only demonstrates a complete lack of empathy on your part and social conscience on your part.

It's clear from your atitude that you don't give a damn about incoveniencing disabled drivers and seem more put out by a disabled driver complaining about such activity. I can't really say what i think about this without an infraction so i'll leave it there.

I have every sympathy for disabled drivers and have a family member in that position but I do not have sympathy for you in your case given the manner you dealt with it and the condecening attitude you have, that is rare in a disabled person in my opinion and experience. In future pick up the phone, report it and wait for the gardai to call to you, if they have the resources they will happily help you.

Apparently disabled spaces were checked by none other than our own. Aspersions were cast but not verified so carry on - nothing to see here....

People are easily fooled by the old trick of using an expired permit. At a glance they see the permit from a distance and think nothing more of it. I on the other hand am very much aware that some people around the city use permits some several years out of date, perhaps from deceased relatives or those who have recovered. I will continue to cast aspersions about such behaviour even if it bothers you.

Again the old atitude "nothing to see here" i.e. "it affects me in no way therefore it's unimportant and should be ignored"

I have every sympathy for disabled drivers and have a family member in that position but I do not have sympathy for you in your case given the manner you dealt with it and the condecening attitude you have, that is rare in a disabled person in my opinion and experience. In future pick up the phone, report it and wait for the gardai to call to you, if they have the resources they will happily help you.

It was reported and after the game the same cars were still in the disabled zone. The resources were available, the traffic corp were INSIDE the stadium watching the game. On what planet can anyone justify traffic corp gardai inside the stadium before and during the game when the law is being seriously breached right outside the stadium!!

I have no problem with gardai on safety duty inside the stadium but the traffic corp gardai watching the game inside were taking the proverbial p1ss.

You have given me one positive thought though. Next time i see illegal disabled bay parking i will if time permits, stop and call the gardai and wait until the call out to tow the offending car away. I know where all the main offending spots are in the city. I don't know though if i will be fobbed off by the fact thats its in the remit of the wardens. If the council was smart they would have had a warden or two on duty around the stadium on sunday, they would have made an absolute fortune in fines

It was reported and after the game the same cars were still in the disabled zone. The resources were available, the traffic corp were INSIDE the stadium watching the game. On what planet can anyone justify traffic corp gardai inside the stadium before and during the game when the law is being seriously breached right outside the stadium!!

I have no problem with gardai on safety duty inside the stadium but the traffic corp gardai watching the game inside were taking the proverbial p1ss.

A ticket may well have been issued, a tow wagon may not have been available, that is a resource not always available especially on such a busy day, but don't let me get in the way of your rant!

A ticket may well have been issued, a tow wagon may not have been available, that is a resource not always available especially on such a busy day, but don't let me get in the way of your rant!

A fair point, tickets may have been issued but that doesn't help disabled people who cannot get parking. The Gardai had an official press release stating that illegally parked cars would be towed. One would assume that the first place the tow truck would be in use is right at the stadium. I did not see any tow truck at all on my travels and i would be interested to hear if anyone else saw one on the day.

A fair point, tickets may have been issued but that doesn't help disabled people who cannot get parking.

I accept that, good night and apologies if I was a bit rude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Mr.Solo also views obstructing a footpath to be the same as blocking A&E. I guess he works for an especially OTT tabloid. He loves adding a level of fantasy and drama to things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement