Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

I spoke with several local business owners in Salthill/town yesterday and they were very content with the extra boost to their already squeezed turnover.Many places had extra staff employed for the day and the whole area had a good lively atmosphere about it one that Salthill is often lacking.
    Most of the local residents close to the stadium don`t have a problem with the parking as they all realise its only TEMPORARY not for ever as some posters hysteria suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How does this work up around the the big stadiums in Dublin? Do they issue an access card to the residents who have vehicles registered in the surrounding streets? It seems to work well up there...?

For the VOR last year, people living in certain buildings around the docks got letters allowing them car access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    I spoke with several local business owners in Salthill/town yesterday and they were very content with the extra boost to their already squeezed turnover.Many places had extra staff employed for the day and the whole area had a good lively atmosphere about it one that Salthill is often lacking.
    Most of the local residents close to the stadium don`t have a problem with the parking as they all realise its only TEMPORARY not for ever as some posters hysteria suggests.

Awesome....everyone attending the match, do what you want as long as you spend a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

How much business did this match pull in for local shops,pubs and restaurants yesterday a lot I imagine.
    Still the Victor Meldrews of Galway must whinge and moan over a bit of parking and blame the stadium rather than look on the business this match generated.
    Would you all rather it went to Tuam like past years or can we for once look on the benefits these games bring to hard pressed businesses.
    Some of the posters on this thread need to get out more.

Could the fun loving money spending people not have their fun, spend their money AND park safely and considerately?

Just to add, I walked around a fair bit in the vicinity yesterday, from where we parked to a pub then to the ground, back to the pub and then to the car via a different route and I saw no problem at all with parking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just to add, I walked around a fair bit in the vicinity yesterday, from where we parked to a pub then to the ground, back to the pub and then to the car via a different route and I saw no problem at all with parking.
    Which roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was driving around the area during the match, no bother (other than cars parked willy nilly on grass etc).
    Having buses transport in from the airport parking or similar would be great but I don't see any major parking issue.

Did you not see footpaths being obstructed by abandoned vehicles on Bishop ODonnell, WDR, Kingston, Threadneedle, Devon, Taylors Hill, Lwr Salthill, Maunsells, Rosary Lane, and Newcastle Rd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

How much business did this match pull in for local shops,pubs and restaurants yesterday a lot I imagine.
    Still the Victor Meldrews of Galway must whinge and moan over a bit of parking and blame the stadium rather than look on the business this match generated.
    Would you all rather it went to Tuam like past years or can we for once look on the benefits these games bring to hard pressed businesses.
    Some of the posters on this thread need to get out more.
    So if Duffy's circus pitch their big top in your back garden you wouldn't mind as they're doing a bit of business? How about a fresh fish stall in your front garden? It's all about da jobz innit?

biko wrote: »
    I was driving around the area during the match, no bother (other than cars parked willy nilly on grass etc).
    Having buses transport in from the airport parking or similar would be great but I don't see any major parking issue.

Kingston Road was chaotic and was dangerous. I was powerwashing a wall next to the road yesterday so I saw a lot of what went on. Several buggies had to be pushed onto the road as they couldn't fit between the cars and the walls. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers drove at their usual speed when the match was on (less traffic then), but the parked cars meant that driving space on the road was limited and visibility of and for pedestrians was limited.

• Advertisement

Do people not realise that it is de facto illegal to park on a road with a solid white line in its centre? Or do they just not care because it's not enforced?

Told you so. Breaking the law? Sure you're over-reacting with your "hysteria", it's only a bit of law breaking 'cos car owners couldn't be arsed walking a few hundreds yards for the sport they love with an absolute passion.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    couldn't be arsed walking a few hundreds yards for the sport they love with an absolute passion.

This is what gets to me. That's the crux of the problem. They just couldn't be arsed and couldn't give a sh1t.

I spoke with several local business owners in Salthill/town yesterday
    Could you post a scan of the addresses of these businesses and the survey questions you fielded to them?
    <cough>bullsh1t alert<cough>

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which roads?

Parked on Maunsells road, walked along that, down along taylors hill, along Rosary lane and devon park to Salthill road lower and left to O'Flatherys. Then back to the stadium from there via Dr Mannix road. Back to the cottage after the game and from there along Satlhill road and Taylors hill back to the car.

I walked on the road most of the way as most people were because the roads were quiet and there was a group of us chatting. There weren't even many cars parked on footpaths and anyway I don't have an issue with this for a few hours, its better to be on the footpath than blocking the road. Is not a big deal to walk on the road even if you have a buggy or wheel chair. Its for few hours a few times a year, people need to get over it and find something more worthwhile to get worked up about.

We parked slightly on the path (just on the very edge) ourselves to ensure room for two cars on the road (and keep our car mirror intact) but there was plenty of footpath still remaining..

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Sure ye couldn't leave the car miles away from the stadium, how else would ye be able to nip out at half time to get to the ham sandwiches and the flask o' tae?

Is not a big deal to walk on the road even if you have a buggy or wheel chair.
    Just so we know you have the first clue what you're claiming as fact, how many buggies or wheelchairs have you had to push onto the road to negotiate illegally parked cars exactly?

There were cars blocking the footpath on Maunsells Rd, including an abandoned blue car with the passenger window left wide open(!) - was that yours?
    There were cars blocking the one footpath on Taylors near The Nurseries, the 2 Garda at Rosary Lane/Taylors were aware of this and did nothing about it. There were cars blocking the footpath on Rosary Lane (on the left heading south). There were also cars restricting the footpath on LwrSalthill (both sides) near The Cottage. 3 Garda at junction Devon Park/Lwr Salthill were aware of this and did nothing.

Just so we know you have the first clue what you're claiming as fact, how many buggies or wheelchairs have you had to push onto the road to negotiate illegally parked cars exactly?

None in that context bit I've pushed wheel chairs quite a bit during a summer job and pushed them up steep ramps etc so I don't think it would be a major problem pushing one down the tiny slope at a drive way and up a similar on.

Buggies are light and easily maneuverable from the places I regularly see people bringing them, just look at people bringing them on escalators, up steps etc.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    There were cars blocking the footpath on Maunsells Rd, including an abandoned blue car with the passenger window left wide open(!) - was that yours?
    There were cars blocking the one footpath on Taylors near The Nurseries, the 2 Garda at Rosary Lane/Taylors were aware of this and did nothing about it. There were cars blocking the footpath on Rosary Lane (on the left heading south). There were also cars restricting the footpath on LwrSalthill (both sides) near The Cottage. 3 Garda at junction Devon Park/Lwr Salthill were aware of this and did nothing.

Not our car.

As I said eveyone was walking on the road anyway most of the time so cars parked on the footpath were not an issue. Its for a few hours a few times a year. Get over it.

Buggies are a non issue, they are light and easily maneuverable, just look at people bringing them on escalators etc.

:eek: You're brave, if that's the right word.

• Advertisement

None in that context bit I've pushed wheel chairs quite a bit during a summer job and pushed them up steep ramps etc so I don't think it would be a major problem pushing one down the tiny slope at a drive way and up a similar on.

Buggies are light and easily maneuverable from the places I regularly see people bringing them, just look at people bringing them on escalators, up steps etc.
    I see. There are ramps available right beside every illegally parked car. How convenient.
    You could just admit you haven't a fooking clue instead of continuing shovelling.

I see. There are ramps available right beside every illegally parked car. How convenient.
    You could just admit you haven't a fooking clue instead of continuing shovelling.

Just stay on the road then like most people who were walking in the area. If this was happening every week it would be an issue I agree but it happens once every few months (if even that often) and only for a few hours its not a big deal.

I'm not saying its easy on a wheelchair user or person with a buggy but as I said its such a short amount of time and so rare I cant see why people get so worked up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I can't help but to imagine what the tone of this tone this entire thread would be if there was a fatality or serious injury because of bad parking.

Let's call a spade a spade; people are always going to dump their cars when there is a big event but there are always a handful of numb-nutted knob jockies who abandon their cars without a bit of consideration for the implications it may cause.

Give tickets to badly parked cars but by all means, tow away the dangerous ones and fine the owners heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

It all stems from the horrible positioning of the stadium and complete lack of a traffic plan to get people in and out of the stadium. There is always going to be problems getting in and out of there until they put proper plans in place. We parked at terryland and walked over cos I couldn't be dealing with the parking and traffic. Still traumatised from whenever was the last time I was there.

I'm not saying its easy on a wheelchair user or person with a buggy but as I said its such a short amount of time and so rare I cant see why people get so worked up over it.
    This has been mentioned before, but isn't it just as easy for the car owner to park legally a bit further away and walk the extra distance than for pedestrians/mother with prams/wheelchair users to jaywalk a few hundred yards? No big deal is it?
    I'm pretty sure walking down the middle of the road is illegal too BTW, but illegal parkers haven't really left people with any choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

It all stems from the horrible positioning of the stadium and complete lack of a traffic plan to get people in and out of the stadium. There is always going to be problems getting in and out of there until they put proper plans in place. We parked at terryland and walked over cos I couldn't be dealing with the parking and traffic. Still traumatised from whenever was the last time I was there.

horrible position of the stadium?!
    newsflash! the stadium was there long before any of the housing estates where built.

so some people parked in dangerous places, tow them away.

As for the others, its a minor inconvience for about 3 hours on 1 day in the whole year!

the snobs and loolaas up in Rockbarton are all over this thread it seems!

flynnlives wrote: »
    newsflash! the stadium was there long before any of the housing estates where built.
    Newsflash #2! When Pearse stadium was built (1957) there probably weren't all that many people driving there for matches. Rendering it a bit of a non-point.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

I'd say most people need to get a life, so what there was a bit of traffic for a couple hrs. Some bad parking on a Sunday that probably didn't really affect too many people. Every county has this close to gaa, rugby ground and some concert venues. Pearse stadium about once yr/ maybe 2 yrs on a sunday for 2 - 3 hrs. There was a good atmosphere in the city, lots of visitors to the city and I would say zero trouble.
    Maybe some motorists got tickets, they might learn in future. If this is peoples biggest problem they have to deal with this week then I can imagine it a good week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Newsflash #2! When Pearse stadium was built (1957) there probably weren't all that many people driving there for matches. Rendering it a bit of a non-point.

Doesn't change the fact that the stadium were there before a good portion of the residents moved in or were even born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

flynnlives wrote: »

so some people parked in dangerous places, tow them away.

As for the others, its a minor inconvience for about 3 hours on 1 day in the whole year!

the snobs and loolaas up in Rockbarton are all over this thread it seems!

You've said that before, what are you so scared of that you have to resort to insults all the time?

Are you afraid someone might have a vaild point so best to try name-calling? If you don't agree with someone you need something better than childish insults to try to get your point accross otherwise you just sound stupid.

Beyond the ignorant name calling:
    You say the Stadium was there first...there were some houses there before the stadium but thats irrelevant anyway, which came first doesnt really matter. What does matter is planning regulations, which the GAA are supposed to follow but don't, as I mentioned earlier. They are in breach of their planning permission regarding parking and traffic management, so technically they should never have redeveloped the place.
    Tow away cars...couldn't agree more.
    Monor inconvienience is not really the issue, it's the disregard of the law and the possible dangers as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement