Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

antoobrien wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact that the stadium were there before a good portion of the residents moved in or were even born.

What is your point here? ....the stadium is old therfore abandon your car wherever you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sconsey wrote: »
    What is your point here? ....the stadium is old therfore abandon your car wherever you can?

Not at all, the stadium is older the residential nature of the area. The residents would to well to remember that they moved knowing full well the prospect of the stadium being used and the likelihood of inconvenience around matches & other events.

It's a bit like moving into a house beside the sportsground and complaining about the noise during greyhound meets & rugby matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Not at all, the stadium is older the residential nature of the area. The residents would to well to remember that they moved knowing full well the prospect of the stadium being used and the likelihood of inconvenience around matches & other events.

It's a bit like moving into a house beside the sportsground and complaining about the noise during greyhound meets & rugby matches.

That's a whole other argument! (which has been argued to death to be honest, everyone has their view)...this thread is about the dodgy parking yesterday or it was until flynnlives decided to start calling people names.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

flynnlives wrote: »

the snobs and loolaas up in Rockbarton are all over this thread it seems!

:eek: My monocle literally fell out and landed in my lobster bisque when I read that, the cheek!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

...except that it's not.

Anyone is entitled to expect their neighbour to comply with planning laws and planning conditions.

http://pearsestadium.blogspot.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Sorry, but that's along the lines of the argument "What idiots built Catholic housing estates along the route of an Orange Order march?". If you want to say there were no houses there in 1957 it's just as valid to say there were no cars there in 1957.

churchview wrote: »
    Anyone is entitled to expect their neighbour to comply with planning laws and planning conditions.

http://pearsestadium.blogspot.ie/

That lack of following the procedures properly is something I have a problem with as well because it's costing me (as a GAA member and supporter) money that could be spent elsewhere e.g. coaching for the shower that were representing us yesterday. Unfortunately that kind of skirting around the edges of regulation is par for the course with the GAA in Galway.

As for the floodlights, having lived across from parnell park in Dublin for a while - the lights in the stadium would not be used half as often - and it wasn't particularly noticeable when the lights were on (my room faced the pitch). I really don't see what the big deal is.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's along the lines of the argument "What idiots built Catholic housing estates along the route of an Orange Order march?". If you want to say there were no houses there in 1957 it's just as valid to say there were no cars there in 1957.

Nonsense, there were cars in Galway in the 50s and the odd fellow even drove them to matches (or so my grandad lead me to believe).

As for the rubbish about building catholic estates, - they routes were chosen by the (at the time largely) protestant authorities to rub in the fact that they were second class citizens.

As much as it appears some people on this thread would like to believe, the location of the stadium was not chosen to annoy the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

As for the floodlights, having lived across from parnell park in Dublin for a while - the lights in the stadium would not be used half as often - and it wasn't particularly noticeable when the lights were on (my room faced the pitch). I really don't see what the big deal is.

I've no issue with the floodlights per se. It's the non compliance with conditions re traffic management that I have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Just going a a bit off topic, actually a lot off topic. Was trying to find some old aerial shots of Salthill and I came across this page

http://www.oldgalwaypics.co.uk/Pages/Salthill.aspx

Some lovely pictures, looked like a very charming spot

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    This has been mentioned before, but isn't it just as easy for the car owner to park legally a bit further away and walk the extra distance than for pedestrians/mother with prams/wheelchair users to jaywalk a few hundred yards? No big deal is it?
    I'm pretty sure walking down the middle of the road is illegal too BTW, but illegal parkers haven't really left people with any choice.

Depends on you definition of inconvenience, I'd count walking to the ground from a long way away more of an inconvenience than walking on the road for a few hundred yards.

I never said anything about walking along the middle of the road either, walking along by the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Has anyone ever been to a big match in any other medium sized stadium? I was in the Sligo Showgrounds and also Richmomd Park, Inchicore, Dublin, a few years ago for games that attract around 3,000 and still there were cars abandoned.

Even when big games were staged in Tuam Stadium, parking was always a nightmare. I'd rather parking for a game in Perase Stadium than Tuam Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

I live in one of the areas that had restricted access yesterday. It was far better than previous occasions. There were 4 cars parked near us, well parked, not in the way, and a damn sight better than the crap we have to put up with ordinarily due to schools traffic. Give me a Gaa fan over a yucky mummy any day:p

Dr Mannix and It's environs were quite chaotic as was Threadneedle road tho. However, the traffic management plan worked where we were and we were very happy about that. Big well done to AGS from us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

if the GAA had any wit about them they would have organised park and ride from the airport and also got extra buses running from eyre square and let every club in mayo and galway know about it. The cops could have backed up that information with a promise to fine or tow any illegal cars. Give people advance notice and let decide what they are gonna do.

But no, it's the usual b0llocksology "sure t'wiil be grand, it's only for a few hours, people might be annoyed but they'll forget after a few days"

McTigs wrote: »
    if the GAA had any wit about them they would have organised park and ride from the airport and also got extra buses running from eyre square and let every club in mayo and galway know about it. The cops could have backed up that information with a promise to fine or tow any illegal cars. Give people advance notice and let decide what they are gonna do.

But no, it's the usual b0llocksology "sure t'wiil be grand, it's only for a few hours, people might be annoyed but they'll forget after a few days"

Who is going to drive out to the airport though, the traffic would be awful in Claregalway with all the mayo traffic and lots of the galway traffic having to cut up across country.

If there was free parking and a free bus from the airport I still wouldn't go near it. We were in and parked within 10 mins walk from the ground as quick as we would be up at the airport from my house. We also had loads of stuff like jackets, bags etc that we wouldn't want to bring into the ground but wanted to have with us, all that would be a disaster if getting a bus in.

if the GAA had any wit about them they would have organised park and ride from the airport

I take it then you are totally unaware of the fact that there was a P&R from the airport to the match then.
    and also got extra buses running from eyre square and let every club in mayo and galway know about it.

The only time (internal) PT changes in Dublin is for matches in Lansdowne Rd. There are changes to the dart schedule so that the trains don't stop at the dart outside the stadium until after the match. They they run 5/6 over the space of 10 minutes to clear part of the road.

I've never heard of Dublin bus or the Luas putting on extra services around matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A Park n Ride was organised.
    The Garda stated that parking on named roads was "not allowed" and that "vehicles illegally parked will be towed away". The Garda failed to honour both of these promises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

snubbleste wrote: »
    A Park n Ride was organised.
    The Garda stated that parking on named roads was "not allowed" and that "vehicles illegally parked will be towed away". The Garda failed to honour both of these promises.
    Ah yes, the old Garda "frowned upon". That's great lads, thanks for deciding which parts of government legislation need to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I take it then you are totally unaware of the fact that there was a P&R from the airport to the match then.
    I wasn't even aware that there was a match on until i left the house to bring my daughter for a bite to eat and saw all the bloody cars parked everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    How much business did this match pull in for local shops,pubs and restaurants yesterday a lot I imagine.
    Still the Victor Meldrews of Galway must whinge and moan over a bit of parking and blame the stadium rather than look on the business this match generated.
    Would you all rather it went to Tuam like past years or can we for once look on the benefits these games bring to hard pressed businesses.
    Some of the posters on this thread need to get out more.

Are you a Redemptorist by any chance?

Not too long ago the Redemptorists in Galway were proclaiming the good news that devout punters attending the Novena were spending so much money in Galway's bars and restaurants that they should be given plenary indulgences in relation to illegal parking. I believe one reverend actually apologised from the pulpit for the persecution suffered by the faithful at the hands of rapacious parking wardens enforcing the law of the land.

What's the GAA equivalent of Father Ted?

• Advertisement

the state of the Galway football team is a much bigger issue than parking around Pearse stadium.

A lot of motorists park (and drive) like the Galway team play football.

There's no law against being a sh:te footballer though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    I spoke with several local business owners in Salthill/town yesterday and they were very content with the extra boost to their already squeezed turnover.Many places had extra staff employed for the day and the whole area had a good lively atmosphere about it one that Salthill is often lacking.
    Most of the local residents close to the stadium don`t have a problem with the parking as they all realise its only TEMPORARY not for ever as some posters hysteria suggests.

What utter b*ll*cks! You went around after the match surveying local businessment to ensure there were benefits to the rampant illegal parking. If you really expect people to believe that you should try selling magic beans for a living too.

Where do you live by the way. Anywhere close to a pub or shop? I'm sure you won't mind coming home some evening to see me parked on your driveway if i'm off for a few pints. I'm sure you wouldn't be outraged at someone having the audacity to illegally park on your property as i would be supporting a local business. I might even do some shopping from your local shops before going to collect my car from your drive and i'll check with the shop owners if they are okay with me parking on your property as it helps their turnover!

This is a case of "i'll break the law when it suits me, but how dare you do the same when it inconveniences me". Complete hypocrites posting here:mad::mad::mad:

its better to be on the footpath than blocking the road.

It's only for a few hours etc.

Why not park on the road?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It's only for a few hours etc.

Why not park on the road?

Blocking the road would cause chaos, parking on the footpath will cause inconvenience and makes things a little awkward for a very small number of people and makes absolutely no difference to most people. Its very rare that a footpath is actually blocked even when a car is parked on it, most times there is plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I must say the traffic was grand coming in from headford road before game and coming home and only bad par was getting out of the car park in St.Enda's secondary school - took 40mins (the crowd in the field and garda at gate) looked a bit clueless. No delays on the Bridge just a bit along by the shopping center in westside.

Hard luck yesterday by the way - Mayo will never get it that easy in Salthill ever again.

It all stems from the horrible positioning of the stadium and complete lack of a traffic plan to get people in and out of the stadium. There is always going to be problems getting in and out of there until they put proper plans in place. We parked at terryland and walked over cos I couldn't be dealing with the parking and traffic. Still traumatised from whenever was the last time I was there.

If the illegal parking (on footpaths especially, which is my main concern) is due to the "horrible positioning of the stadium" then a large number of schools, churches and shops in Galway City are also horribly positioned.

Sorry, but I just don't accept that.

There's something else going on, and much of the blame lies with public service employees who are simply not doing their job.

Blocking the road would cause chaos, parking on the footpath will cause inconvenience and makes things a little awkward for a very small number of people and makes absolutely no difference to most people. Its very rare that a footpath is actually blocked even when a car is parked on it, most times there is plenty of space.

So illegal parking that affects motorists is not acceptable, but illegal parking that affects pedestrians is OK?

Is that the general principle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sconsey wrote: »
    this thread is about the dodgy parking yesterday or it was until flynnlives decided to start calling people names.

Hmm, post #3
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    No doubt there'll be no repercussions for these match day muck savages.

Utterly irrelevant. Road traffic law is what it is regardless of where anyone lives relative to the stadium.

I suspect the footpaths were there before cars (eg Taylor's Hill, Salthill) and pedestrians were certainly there before cars.

Neither motorists nor GAA fans have any special dispensation to park as they please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If the illegal parking (on footpaths especially, which is my main concern) is due to the "horrible positioning of the stadium" then a large number of school, churches and shops in Galway City are also horribly positioned.

Sorry, but I just don't accept that.

There's something else going on, and much of the blame lies with public service employees who are simply not doing their job.

The death penalty is the only answer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement