Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

And they lost the match too for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    So illegal parking that affects motorists is not acceptable, but illegal parking that affects pedestrians is OK?

Is that the general principle?

Again this poster is displaying the whole, "if it inconveniences me it's WRONG, but if it inconveniences others then it's okay, so stop whinging" The hypocracy and arrogance on display is ridiculous.

So illegal parking that affects motorists is not acceptable, but illegal parking that affects pedestrians is OK?

Is that the general principle?

Well I was a pedestrian on a number of these roads yesterday and I wasn't even in the slightest bit affected, I was with 8 other people and not one mentioned anything aside from poking fun at a thread that had no doubt started on the subject of parking which is guaranteed for every Galway match. I also didn't notice any of the other 100's of people streaming into the ground at the same time as me being hindered in anyway.

There is no comparison between blocking a road where it becomes impossible for traffic to move on and parking on a footpath where you can walk around the blockage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

zarquon wrote: »
    Again this poster is displaying the whole, "if it inconveniences me it's WRONG, but if it inconveniences others then it's okay, so stop whinging" The hypocracy and arrogance on display is ridiculous.

Perhaps you need to identify the post you are referring to!

Note the way your post has been thanked by antoobrien and Pappa Charlie, the former an apologist for errant motorists and the latter an apologist for AGS being paid from the public purse to do SFA.

There is no comparison between blocking a road where it becomes impossible for traffic to move on and parking on a footpath where you can walk around the blockage.

Of course there is no comparison, because one scenario inconveniences you and the other inconveniences others. As long as you are not inconvenienced there is no wrong been done, isn't that right!
    Perhaps you need to identify the post you are referring to!

Note the way your post has been thanked by antoobrien and Pappa Charlie, the former an apologist for errant motorists and the latter an apologist for AGS being paid from the public purse to do SFA.

Noted, i am referring to the posts by Monroe Lively Motor to name but one in the sea of hypocrites on this thread. I am a motorist myself, but i also find it an inconvenience to have to cut out into the other lane on tight roads just to progress past cars parked haphazardly on roads and paths narrowing the road width down too! Of course they were going to the match so it didn't inconvenience them but i wasn't therefore it was an inconvenience to me as a motorist but my opinion doesn't matter as long as the parkers were not inconvenienced there is no harm done. I'd love to block the gates and driveways of some of these people while i head off to their local shops. I would be support their neighbourhood economony and there would be no inconvenience to me to block their drive or gate, so no harm done right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Utterly irrelevant. Road traffic law is what it is regardless of where anyone lives relative to the stadium.

Okay so you got all that blather from a conversation that started from
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Newsflash #2! When Pearse stadium was built (1957) there probably weren't all that many people driving there for matches. Rendering it a bit of a non-point.

Doesn't change the fact that the stadium were there before a good portion of the residents moved in or were even born.

Where have I mentioned the rights or wrongs of the situation? Pointing out the existence of the stadium pre-exists most of the residences in the area has nothing to do with the application or the lack of application of traffic laws.
    I suspect the footpaths were there before cars

Footpaths were introduced because of the use of animal powered carriages & carts, so they are the direct result of the use of powered wheeled vehicles. The fact that the horseless carriage is the latest incarnation of the carriage makes any attempt at one upmanship with history a losing proposition.

The fact that the horseless carriage is the latest incarnation of the carriage makes any attempt at one upmanship with history a losing proposition.

The point is that history and geography are irrelevant.

Road traffic law is perfectly clear, as is policy such as the National Pedestrian Safety Action Plan and the Barcelona Declaration (adopted by Galway City Council).

There is also the Garda Siochana's prior announcement that they would be enforcing the law.

Clearly what we have here is a bunch of arrogant selfish motorists (and GAA fans) being aided and abetted in violating parking regulations by so-called law enforcers who are being paid from the public purse to do nothing. That is unacceptable on a number of levels, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Road traffic law is perfectly clear, as is policy such as the National Pedestrian Safety Action Plan and the Barcelona Declaration (adopted by Galway City Council).

you do realise you are only arguing with yourself here.
    Clearly what we have here is a bunch of arrogant selfish motorists (and GAA fans) being aided and abetted in violating parking regulations by so-called law enforcers who are being paid from the public purse to do nothing. That is unacceptable on a number of levels, imo.

Ah so the real reason you're irate finally comes out, it's two of your pet peeves that are causing the problem, motorists and the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

c_man wrote: »
    Hmm, post #3

Yowch, you're right, there's two of them in it, neither of them much good.

I wonder if we had mass ticketing of illegally parked cars as promised would we have seen another thread fill with outrage of inconvenience and unfairness by the illegal parkers. In fairness the gardai and council are hugely to blame. If i was allowed to take a lump of cash from a counter and walk out of a bank without repercussion i would probably do it on a regular basis knowing i would benefit great and would not be held accountable at all. It's the same with the parking. The actions of the council and the gardai have created a system whereby the match goers expect a free for all parking system and would be outraged if the status quo was adjusted in anyway at all.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »

I'd love to block the gates and driveways of some of these people while i head off to their local shops. I would be support their neighbourhood economony and there would be no inconvenience to me to block their drive or gate, so no harm done right!!

Not a single person mentioned blocking gates or driveways being ok or that it happened yesterday which I don't think it did anywhere, blocking a gate is definitely not on even for a short amount of time.

Blocking a gate or a drive way is similar to blocking a road it is will actually prevent people from start/completing their journey where as parking a car on a footpath will not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Ah so the real reason you're irate finally comes out, it's two of your pet peeves that are causing the problem, motorists and the GAA.
    Er, it's motorist GAA fans that are the problem here. I could as easily say you have a pathological addiction to illegal parking. Hard to discuss the issue of illegal GAA fan motorist parking with raising the possibly connected subject of GAA motorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Far be it from me to speak for Iwannhurl but you're way off, the text you quoted doesnt come close to supporting your leap of logic.
    How does your quote indicate motorists and the GAA are his pet peeves? he (or she) quoted a traffic regulation...hardly a clear sign of dislike of motorists.
    Same with the GAA fan dig, he is assuming they are GAA fans yes but that hardly means he dislikes the GAA.

Weak argument.

Blocking a gate or a drive way is similar to blocking a road it is will actually prevent people from start/completing their journey where as parking a car on a footpath will not.
    Parking such as to prevent people using a footpath forces them to walk on the road. I see little distinction between that and blocking someone's driveway forcing them to walk on the path.

In fairness the AGS probably didn't want to upset the matchgoers considering the hiding that Galway took yesterday, anything else would have pushed people to far . The Mayo supporters would probably have taken parking fines on the chin and still considered it value for money at the spectacle they just saw of men against boys.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Far be it from me to speak for Iwannhurl but you're way off, the text you quoted doesnt come close to supporting your leap of logic.
    How does your quote indicate motorists and the GAA are his pet peeves? he (or she) quoted a traffic regulation...hardly a clear sign of dislike of motorists.
    Same with the GAA fan dig, he is assuming they are GAA fans yes but that hardly means he dislikes the GAA.

Weak argument.
    It's the old, "Oh you are X. Therefore I don't need to use a logical argument to discount your opinion. (which is convenient because I don't have one...)"

Parking such as to prevent people using a footpath forces them to walk on the road. I see little distinction between that and blocking someone's driveway forcing them to walk on the path.

Blocking someones driveway either blocks their car in meaning they cannot leave their house or prevents them gaining access to their driveway to park. A completely different and infinitely worse thing than being forced to walk around a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The death penalty is the only answer!

We tried that. Pedestrians payed for ineffective policing with their lives to the point we now have rampant car dependency and chronic car congestion.

Now as a result we also have a chronic obesity problem, particularly among children, so through their inaction, the Garda have helped to move the death burden off the roads and into the cardiac and diabetes clinics.

Blocking someones driveway either blocks their car in meaning they cannot leave their house or prevents them gaining access to their driveway to park. A completely different and infinitely worse thing than being forced to walk around a car.
    Why is it different? They can walk around their car just as well as you are expecting other people to do!

That's just idiotic; there's no other way to put that I can think of just now.

The issue is rampant illegal parking, and the context is another match in Pearse Stadium.

There seems to be twin beliefs expressed by some in this thread: (1) that blocking footpaths and forcing pedestrians out on the road is OK but impeding traffic would not be acceptable, and (b) the illegal parking is justified because there's a big match on.

If Pearse Stadium was a rugby, hockey or tiddlywinks venue, and if such events attracted the same hordes of obnoxious parkers, and if An Garda Siochana and City Council were engaged in the same nod-and-wink carry-on with the organisers, then I would be equally annoyed.

I have nothing against the Redemptorists either, but when one of their members apologises from the altar for parking tickets received for parking abuses, and points to the money spent in bars by Novena-attending god-botherers, I just want to spit.

• Advertisement

One disrupts a pedestrian and the other disrupts a motorist. Nox001 clearly thinks it's okay to disrupt pedestrians even those with children or disabilities as long as no car was inconvenienced. Before the response comes saying that there were hardly any examples of wheelchairs or buggies having to go on the road, need i remind everyone that even one example is too many. There are some videos freely available on the web of accidents involving buggies being hit as well as a well know one about a wheelchair being hit. They are too disturbing to post here but google is your friend if you want to watch upsetting videos.

Same arrogant atitude as people who have a few drinks and then get behind the wheel - Sure it's too far to walk, taxis are too expensive, a few pints doesn't affect me, etc. It's okay to inconvenience and endanger others for the sake of a night of enjoyment or in this case 70 mins of enjoyment (or misery for tribemen). Everyone who ever drove under the influence and killed someone felt it they were doing no harm to the begrudgers who didn't want them to drive. It's a very different scenario i'll grant, but the very same arrogant and hypocritical atitude as the illegal parkers yesterday. Interesting to hear some of the comments about parking the cars going the match and then for a few pints. I would love to have seen some breathalyzing yesterday evening too after the game. Plenty of those cars were parked well into the evening when i was passing by so i have no doubt a lot were hitting the pubs, but i'm sure they were only drinking water so no harm done eh!:rolleyes:

Why is it different? They can walk around their car just as well as you are expecting other people to do!

The owner of the driveway cant drive their car into or out of their driveway though if its blocked, so they are prevented from starting or completing their journey. Also if they actually park in the driveway they are trespassing on private property a serious offence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

churchview wrote: »
    Kingston Road was chaotic and was dangerous. I was powerwashing a wall next to the road yesterday so I saw a lot of what went on. Several buggies had to be pushed onto the road as they couldn't fit between the cars and the walls. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers drove at their usual speed when the match was on (less traffic then), but the parked cars meant that driving space on the road was limited and visibility of and for pedestrians was limited.

Your man in the Audi wasn't too impressed with all the paint chips and dirt on his car after your power washing yesterday, he was having a fit when I passed him and onto the cops claiming paint and stone chip damage. Did the cops get onto you about it out of interest? Doubt he has much claim though, but is the footpath your property or the public "way"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

yop wrote: »
    Your man in the Audi wasn't too impressed with all the paint chips and dirt on his car after your power washing yesterday, he was having a fit when I passed him and onto the cops claiming paint and stone chip damage. Did the cops get onto you about it out of interest? Doubt he has much claim though, but is the footpath your property or the public "way"?

That'd be the guy who parked right next to me when he clearly saw I was powerhosing the wall, as he parked!

No, the Guards didn't get on to me. I expect they have better things to do.

As to whether the path is private property or a public right of way, I'll let him work that out for himself; no free law lecture here. However, whether private or a "public" right of way; neither entitle him to park there.

In fairness if he was illegally parked he has absolutely no recourse if his precious car got dirty from a local powerwashing their own property which is their absolute right to do so. Don't start with the "but is the footpath your property or the public "way"" crap either. I suppose when you wash your car or mow your lawn you take great care to ensure that no run off or grass ends up on the public path or road outside your house. Congratulations you are another posing hypocrite. At this rate their should be a hypocrites sub forum here to complain about the things that other people do that's okay for people like you to do when you want.

And he was dead right too, only a pig ignorant individual would power hose next to a car. If I was him I'd be looking for compensation and have a very stern "word" with the person who did the damage.

churchview wrote: »
    As to whether the path is private property or a public right of way, I'll let him work that out for himself; no free law lecture here. However, whether private or a "public" right of way; neither entitle him to park there.
    It'd be a good one to see in court alright.
    Yer honour, I'd just illegally parked my car when...

And he was dead right too, only a pig ignorant individual would illegally park next to someone powerhosing.
    FTFY.

And he was dead right too, only a pig ignorant individual would power hose next to a car. If I was him I'd be looking for compensation and have a very stern "word" with the person who did the damage.

WHAT!!! He was washing his wall prior to the car pulling up on the path outside his property. Do you expect this person then to stop their wall washing as it will inconvenience the parker. Either you are completely insane and void of reason and sensibility or you are a troll because no right minded person could genuinely beleive that they can park illegally on the path outside a property being powerwashed and then demand that the property owner immedietely cease from their activity until the parker returns after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Yea, good luck with that.

I was hosing before any car parked.

Am I supposed to stop what I am doing to suit some fool who chooses to park directly next to me, illegally?

By the way, he had a few specks on his car. He also had one of the "Fixed Penalty" notices as he was dangerously parked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement