Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

zarquon wrote: »
    WHAT!!! He was washing his wall prior to the car pulling up on the path outside his property. Do you expect this person then to stop their wall washing as it will inconvenience the parker. Either you are completely insane and void of reason and sensibility or you are a troll because no right minded person could genuinely beleive that they can park illegally on the path outside a property being powerwashed and then demand that the property owner immedietely cease from their activity until the parker returns after the game.
    churchview wrote: »
    Yea, good luck with that.

I was hosing before any car parked.

Am I supposed to stop what I am doing to suit some fool who chooses to park directly next to me, illegally?

By the way, he had a few specks on his car. He also had one of the "Fixed Penalty" notices as he was dangerously parked.

I replied before reading the post indicating the person parked while the powerhosing was taking place. The person in the car is a fool and does not deserve any come back. I had assumed he parked before the power hosing started but as that is not the case the person power hosing did nothing wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

And he was dead right too, only a pig ignorant individual would power hose next to a car. If I was him I'd be looking for compensation and have a very stern "word" with the person who did the damage.

Sauce for the goose sauce for the gander? On a regular basis I see pedestrians sprayed with showers of dirty water by Irish motorists driving through floods and puddles at speed.

If I scooped up a bucket of fluid from the gutter and poured it over a random stranger I could be done for assault and damaging someones property. But do it in a car and sure what harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sauce for the goose sauce for the gander? On a regular basis I see pedestrians sprayed with showers of dirty water by Irish motorists driving through floods and puddles at speed.

If I scooped up a bucket of fluid from the gutter and poured it over a random stranger I could be done for assault and damaging someones property. But do it in a car and sure what harm?

As a motorist myself i always take care to slow down if there is a large puddle and nearby pedestrians or cyclists. Too often as a pedestrian myself i was victim of a "road shower" by an obnoxious driver that couldn't care less. A little bit of courtesy goes a long way, it's a shame not everyone on the road cares too much about courtesy.

As do I when I'm walking myself but I make sure not to do it to people when I'm driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

We tried that. Pedestrians payed for ineffective policing with their lives to the point we now have rampant car dependency and chronic car congestion.

Now as a result we also have a chronic obesity problem, particularly among children, so through their inaction, the Garda have helped to move the death burden off the roads and into the cardiac and diabetes clinics.

Great arguement, no wonder people take you seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

On the good news front, it appears that the carpark at the airport was fulll yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=659382370744596&set=a.653010878048412.1073741828.652969128052587&type=1&relevant_count=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

People won't do anything different unless the cops start fining people breaking the law. The cops need to be brought up on this especially after that article on their website. The Salthill GAA need to respect the traffic management plan and respect the planning regulations.

None of the above will probably happen until someone gets badly hurt or killed by a car accident. Sure it will be grand until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emilybemily

Five of us travelled from Ballinasloe yesterday to Pearse Stadium. I was able to park at my aunts house in Emerson Avenue. We arrived back after the very disapointing match and in a rush to make home only to find our car completly blocked in drive way by another supporters car.....waited 45 mins.... called guards.....told us that they could do nothing about it... waited another 30 mins.....at this stage one of my fellow passangers had walked back towards pearse stadium to see if any guard on patrol could do something/ issue parking ticketetc... we were told to wait a little longer until the VERY ILLEGALLY PARKED owner returned to his/her car. I asked was this illegal? could it be towed away? yes it was illegal but there would be no towing unless it was completly necessary???? another hour passed...my friend who was on night duty called to get someone to fill in for her at portiuncula""
    what part of illegal do the Guards not understand? its either illegal or not to park right up on a footpath and completly block a driveway . Not only was the driveway blocked it would have been impossible for the so called tow truck to get down Emerson Avenue with cars parked up and along all the double yellow lines on the road. Three hours later the culprits returned to the ILLEGALLY PARKED car!!!! I need not describe the scene.
    what is the point having a traffic management plan in place if its not implemented? its a joke! we travelled and we paid 25 euro each yesterday
    to see the match....there is no traffic or parking plan in place or implemented around Salthill. God help us if it was a beach day or any other major event was on! I really have to sympatise with people who live around the area of the Pearse Stadium. I am a big supporter of Galway but I for one will be keeping my petrol money, match ticket money ,my patience and good time and will watch the next one in the comfort of my own home!! WHAT A JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The tone here is getting quite nasty in parts. As always, attack the post not the poster. Any more derogatory comments or insults directed personally towards other posters will be deleted and bans will be shlapped out.

Keep it civil guys, or kindly bugger off. The choice is yours.

My wooden spoon hand is getting itchy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

another hour passed...my friend who was on night duty called to get someone to fill in for her at portiuncula""

Now that's f**ked up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

People won't do anything different unless the cops start fining people breaking the law. The cops need to be brought up on this especially after that article on their website. The Salthill GAA need to respect the traffic management plan and respect the planning regulations.

None of the above will probably happen until someone gets badly hurt or killed by a car accident. Sure it will be grand until then.

I'm afraid even that does not motivate some people in positions of responsibility.

There are some roads in Galway City where a number of deaths and serious injuries have occurred over a long period, eg the R336 Barna Road, and where the 'competent' authorities have done absolutely nothing to remedy the situation.

Just recently there was yet another death on a deadly stretch of road in Rossaveal. I was told that the locals have been campaigning for 22 years to have something done about the road.

But don't worry, just make sure to wear a dayglo armband and you'll be OK.

In this context, do you think a few kids in prams or disabled people in wheelchairs matter a whole lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Five of us travelled from Ballinasloe yesterday to Pearse Stadium. I was able to park at my aunts house in Emerson Avenue. We arrived back after the very disapointing match and in a rush to make home only to find our car completly blocked in drive way by another supporters car.....waited 45 mins.... called guards.....told us that they could do nothing about it... waited another 30 mins.....at this stage one of my fellow passangers had walked back towards pearse stadium to see if any guard on patrol could do something/ issue parking ticketetc... we were told to wait a little longer until the VERY ILLEGALLY PARKED owner returned to his/her car. I asked was this illegal? could it be towed away? yes it was illegal but there would be no towing unless it was completly necessary???? another hour passed...my friend who was on night duty called to get someone to fill in for her at portiuncula""
    what part of illegal do the Guards not understand? its either illegal or not to park right up on a footpath and completly block a driveway . Not only was the driveway blocked it would have been impossible for the so called tow truck to get down Emerson Avenue with cars parked up and along all the double yellow lines on the road. Three hours later the culprits returned to the ILLEGALLY PARKED car!!!! I need not describe the scene.
    what is the point having a traffic management plan in place if its not implemented? its a joke! we travelled and we paid 25 euro each yesterday
    to see the match....there is no traffic or parking plan in place or implemented around Salthill. God help us if it was a beach day or any other major event was on! I really have to sympatise with people who live around the area of the Pearse Stadium. I am a big supporter of Galway but I for one will be keeping my petrol money, match ticket money ,my patience and good time and will watch the next one in the comfort of my own home!! WHAT A JOKE
    Indulge us as to this particular 'goon's' excuse.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In fairness if he was illegally parked he has absolutely no recourse if his precious car got dirty from a local powerwashing their own property which is their absolute right to do so. Don't start with the "but is the footpath your property or the public "way"" crap either. I suppose when you wash your car or mow your lawn you take great care to ensure that no run off or grass ends up on the public path or road outside your house. Congratulations you are another posing hypocrite. At this rate their should be a hypocrites sub forum here to complain about the things that other people do that's okay for people like you to do when you want.

Relax, you'll give yourself a heart attack if your going to get worked up over something as mediocre as that. It wasn't your wall, was it your car?

I asked the question IF he had heard anything, your man got a fine on his car, but I was querying IF he had grounds.

This will only happen again when the next match is played at Pearse, they should have coned out that side of the road and/or put up signs. Poor management on both the parts of the guards and the GAA.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In fairness if he was illegally parked he has absolutely no recourse if his precious car got dirty from a local powerwashing their own property which is their absolute right to do so. Don't start with the "but is the footpath your property or the public "way"" crap either. I suppose when you wash your car or mow your lawn you take great care to ensure that no run off or grass ends up on the public path or road outside your house. Congratulations you are another posing hypocrite. At this rate their should be a hypocrites sub forum here to complain about the things that other people do that's okay for people like you to do when you want.
    Indulge us as to this particular 'goon's' excuse.

Should be beat over the head, what were the guards at when they wouldn't move them? U should have bunny hopped the car out of the way, had to do it before BUT it can damage the handbrake.

yop wrote: »
    This will only happen again when the next match is played at Pearse, they should have coned out that side of the road and/or put up signs. Poor management on both the parts of the guards and the GAA.

They can do it when they want to, ie on extremely rare occasions.

It's bad management alright, though not in the sense of a botched operation. They just can't be arsed, and their priorities do not extend to protecting the road safety and access needs of pedestrians and disabled people.

What I find particularly cynical about their approach was that they went to the trouble of putting bits of paper on illegally parked cars when they could have easily used the time to enforce road traffic law. Why are police being paid (on overtime perhaps?) to do what would be regarded as littering if an ordinary citizen did it?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    What I find particularly cynical about their approach was that they went to the trouble of putting bits of paper on illegally parked cars when they could have easily used the time to enforce road traffic law. Why are police being paid (on overtime perhaps?) to do what would be regarded as littering if an ordinary citizen did it?

Very good point, they had to walk to x amount of cars, maybe 40 or so and issue a ticket and take their details. Why not carry 40 cones and cone the road.

Fish in a bowl I think.

To be fair to the Garda this issue came up at a recent joint policing committee meeting where Garda management pointed out that an absence of physical tickets on cars is not evidence that no-one is getting fined. They may think they are getting criticised unfairly - which may occasionally be true.

I think it is reasonable to put tickets on the cars. Otherwise it creates the impression that nothing is being done. This creates frustration among locals and invites GAA fans to think they can park where they like.

Firstly, I would agree that prevention of illegal parking, eg with cones, would be better than penalising after the fact.

With regard to the bits of paper, I fully understand that a weakness of the system is that AGS do not issue physical tickets as parking wardens do. The pink slip serves as a clear indication that a parking fine has been issued, and if done early enough might serve as a deterrent to potential illegal parkers arriving later.

Unfortunately I have been unable to confirm whether AGS did actually issue Fixed Charge Penalties for illegal parking. So far the indications are that the 'notices' were nothing more than bits of paper, though I'd like to be wrong about that.

AGS have taken action in the past, which was the subject of much outrage at the time, as I recall. The thing is, the hysteria started the day after that match, and was reported in the Examiner on Tuesday. If footpath abusers were ticketed on this occasion also, why have we not heard about it so far?

The fact is that AGS have used the useless bits of paper approach before, so it's not unreasonable to hazard a guess that they might have done so again, imo. To repeat, however, I'd love to be wrong on that score.

Firstly, I would agree that prevention of illegal parking, eg with cones, would be better than penalising after the fact.

With regard to the bits of paper, I fully understand that a weakness of the system is that AGS do not issue physical tickets as parking wardens do. The pink slip serves as a clear indication that a parking fine has been issued, and if done early enough might serve as a deterrent to potential illegal parkers arriving later.

Unfortunately I have been unable to confirm whether AGS did actually issue Fixed Charge Penalties for illegal parking. So far the indications are that the 'notices' were nothing more than bits of paper, though I'd like to be wrong about that.

AGS have taken action in the past, which was the subject of much outrage at the time, as I recall. The thing is, the hysteria started the day after that match, and was reported in the Examiner on Tuesday. If footpath abusers were ticketed on this occasion also, why have we not heard about it so far?

The fact is that AGS have used the useless bits of paper approach before, so it's not unreasonable to hazard a guess that they might have done so again, imo. To repeat, however, I'd love to be wrong on that score.

These were white paper, I didn't read one, but "Mr Audi" was having an egg on the spot, whether it was the fine or the paintwork I wouldn't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

We tried that. Pedestrians payed for ineffective policing with their lives to the point we now have rampant car dependency and chronic car congestion.

Now as a result we also have a chronic obesity problem, particularly among children, so through their inaction, the Garda have helped to move the death burden off the roads and into the cardiac and diabetes clinics.

yep its the gardai fault there is an obesity problem in not only Ireland but the entire developed world

• Advertisement

121212 wrote: »
    yep its the gardai fault there is an obesity problem in not only Ireland but the entire developed world

Well the do keep the donut business buoyant ;)

Its hardly what the poster meant, so probably best to read it again

Really? Is there really the same child obesity problem that we have in Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, the Scandanavian countries?

Perhaps in countries that do have a serious obesity problem - (Australia, the US etc) the police are also part of the problem?

I don't recall saying the problem was exclusively with the Irish police.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

Really? Is there really the same child obesity problem that we have in Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, the Scandanavian countries?

Perhaps in countries that do have a serious obesity problem - (Australia, the US etc) the police are also part of the problem?

I don't recall saying the problem was exclusively with the Irish police.

ok so, what evidence have you got or can you point me to that in any way blames policing as a major contributing factor to obesity?

ok so, what evidence have you got or can you point me to that in any way blames policing as a major contributing factor to obesity?

I would have thought it was obvious - the easiest way for people, particularly children, to get more exercise is through walking and cycling.

Traffic danger is possibly the single biggest obstacle to getting more people walking and cycling. In this, inappropriately high speeds by motor traffic are the most important factor. But things like inconsiderate parking, failure to yield etc are also factors.

These are all factors that are influenced by a failure to adequately police the roads. There are also engineering and education issues - but a failure to police is a strong component of the perceived traffic danger on our roads.

This traffic danger has direct public health implications.

Public health context: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12948971

Unfortunately neither AGS nor local authorities have much awareness of the role they play in such matters. They seem to have a fixation on keeping the traffic moving.

A few years ago, in the exact same context of rampant obstruction of footpaths and pedestrian crossings etc during a match in Pearse Stadium, I spoke to the Sergeant in Charge, who was engaged in 'traffic control'.

As we stood beside a long line of cars obstructing the footpath on Threadneedle Road right up to the junction with Taylor's Hill, I enquired as to why AGS were allowing that to occur, and asked why the cars could not be parked on the road. He replied that parking on the road would block one of the lanes and cause traffic problems. When I attempted to point out that the traffic problems were being caused by large numbers of cars being allowed to park willy-nilly as close as possible to the stadium, he saw that as an environmental issue.

In other words, issues relating to the facilitation of walking as a mode of travel and to parking control as a means of preventing traffic congestion are not just outside of their remit but also well beyond their current level of awareness.

Following that conversation I realised that I had no option but to focus on pure law enforcement when engaging with AGS on such matters. That in itself is a dispiriting uphill task, because AGS have little or no interest in trivial matters such as the obstruction of pedestrian and disabled spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

so the cycling fascists a have now decended into this farcical debate and not only are the Gardai to blame for bad enforcement of illegal parking but now also the obesity problem!

how is it this thread re-appears every single year yet i never see any threads about the school runs and the soccer moms holding up traffic in there 3 tonne SUV's to collect 1 child from school?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

flynnlives wrote: »
    how is it this thread re-appears every single year yet i never see any threads about the school runs and the soccer moms holding up traffic in there 3 tonne SUV's to collect 1 child from school?
    Because threads about a heap of bullsh1t hyperbole don't tend to have much legs?

flynnlives wrote: »

how is it this thread re-appears every single year yet i never see any threads about the school runs and the soccer moms holding up traffic blocking cyclists and pedestrians in their 3 tonne SUV's to collect 1 child from school?

Fixed your post for you there

Public health context: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12948971

Unfortunately neither AGS nor local authorities have much awareness of the role they play in such matters. They seem to have a fixation on keeping the traffic moving.

A few years ago, in the exact same context of rampant obstruction of footpaths and pedestrian crossings etc during a match in Pearse Stadium, I spoke to the Sergeant in Charge, who was engaged in 'traffic control'.

As we stood beside a long line of cars obstructing the footpath on Threadneedle Road right up to the junction with Taylor's Hill, I enquired as to why AGS were allowing that to occur, and asked why the cars could not be parked on the road. He replied that parking on the road would block one of the lanes and cause traffic problems. When I attempted to point out that the traffic problems were being caused by large numbers of cars being allowed to park willy-nilly as close as possible to the stadium, he saw that as an environmental issue.

In other words, issues relating to the facilitation of walking as a mode of travel and to parking control as a means of preventing traffic congestion are not just outside of their remit but also well beyond their current level of awareness.

Following that conversation I realised that I had no option but to focus on pure law enforcement when engaging with AGS on such matters. That in itself is a dispiriting uphill task, because AGS have little or no interest in trivial matters such as the obstruction of pedestrian and disabled spaces.

When will you understand that you are in a tiny minority of people who want to see traffic hindered to suit pedestrians. The movement of traffic is more important than pedestrians, you just have to accept this, especially as its almost impossible to actually prevent the movement of pedestrians but very easy to stop cars moving. The Sergeant was using common sense and acting on the wishes of the majority of people you can be sure.

You really must have absolutely nothing to do with your time if you went up to a guard trying to get people in trouble who were in enjoying the match. Your mentality disgusts me along with your constant anti-motorist ramblings and support of disastrous things like the replacement of roundabouts with traffic lights etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Let's try to get back on-topic people, consider this a mod warning if needs be and that there'll be cards handed out to those who continue to meander away from the topic.

Stay civil and keep a cool head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement