Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

. Your mentality disgusts me along with your constant anti-motorist ramblings and support of disastrous things like the replacement of roundabouts with traffic lights etc etc.

As a motorist myself, i have to say the new juctions lights are not so bad. They have actually improved some gridlock situations and at least allow a level of control from the control center when required. It's no harm that people can now cross at this junctions too without having to dart across the road at a roundabout. I know some traffic flows have been impeded though, but that is because there was an unfair legacy issue of them getting right of way. Anyway, enough of that - let's stay on topic regarding pearse parking and traffic. At least the lights and new juctions in westside helped the traffic flow on sunday as well as the new junctions. The match didn't bring the city to a standstill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

When will you understand that you are in a tiny minority of people who want to see traffic hindered to suit pedestrians.
    and when are you going to understand that as long as traffic control defaults to accomodating motorists first and everyone else second there will be no end to congestion.... this problem has been proven and solved in many more progressive forward thinking countries than ours but unfortunately authorities here are generally backward with backward policies supported by the likes of you.
    disastrous things like the replacement of roundabouts with traffic lights etc etc.
    what's disastrous about it, i understand it's working pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

flynnlives wrote: »
    how is it this thread re-appears every single year yet i never see any threads about the school runs and the soccer moms holding up traffic in there 3 tonne SUV's to collect 1 child from school?

This subject pops up probably more than once a year because public servants are not doing their jobs and a lot of motorists continue to ignore road traffic law as if it didn't matter.

Illegal/obnoxious parking around schools is also mentioned regularly, including in the Galway City forum. Here's an example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056744665

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Can't say I didn't give y'all a heads up, you've earned your infractions.

When will you understand that you are in a tiny minority of people who want to see traffic hindered to suit pedestrians.

The movement of traffic is more important than pedestrians, you just have to accept this, especially as its almost impossible to actually prevent the movement of pedestrians but very easy to stop cars moving.

The Sergeant was using common sense and acting on the wishes of the majority of people you can be sure.

You really must have absolutely nothing to do with your time if you went up to a guard trying to get people in trouble who were in enjoying the match.

Your mentality disgusts me along with your constant anti-motorist ramblings and support of disastrous things like the replacement of roundabouts with traffic lights etc etc.

What I actually wrote earlier was:
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A few years ago, in the exact same context of rampant obstruction of footpaths and pedestrian crossings etc during a match in Pearse Stadium, I spoke to the Sergeant in Charge, who was engaged in 'traffic control'.

As we stood beside a long line of cars obstructing the footpath on Threadneedle Road right up to the junction with Taylor's Hill, I enquired as to why AGS were allowing that to occur, and asked why the cars could not be parked on the road.

Following that conversation I realised that I had no option but to focus on pure law enforcement when engaging with AGS on such matters.

I naively believed at the time that if I pointed out to that (polite) Garda how pedestrians were being both inconvenienced and sometimes endangered, and how uncontrolled parking generated traffic, he might think twice about letting cars take over the footpaths. No such luck, which is why I'm now in the position of demanding enforcement at every opportunity. The depths of cultural ignorance and lack of social awareness are so great, however, that even asking for the law to be respected by law enforcers is like trying to speak Swahili to an Inuit.

The Irish cultural reality is probably that our statutory authorities, as well as many motorists, tend towards the view that motorists are
    the people that matter when we are talking about things that effect traffic flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When will you understand that you are in a tiny minority of people who want to see traffic hindered to suit pedestrians. The movement of traffic is more important than pedestrians, you just have to accept this, especially as its almost impossible to actually prevent the movement of pedestrians but very easy to stop cars moving. The Sergeant was using common sense and acting on the wishes of the majority of people you can be sure.

You really must have absolutely nothing to do with your time if you went up to a guard trying to get people in trouble who were in enjoying the match. Your mentality disgusts me along with your constant anti-motorist ramblings and support of disastrous things like the replacement of roundabouts with traffic lights etc etc.

I'm pretty sure there's sporting venues around the world where housing is around the area and the pedestrians and motorists are acommadated for equally. It's something that should have been looked at when they decided to move the teams from Tuam to Salthill. Unfortunately planning like this has never been the strongpoint of Galway.

I can't speak on the traffic lights. When I was back there last, in December they were terrible but it may have been the people using them not being use to them yet. People trying to go straight in the left lane. That lane getting the green light but nobody moving because they want to go straight...in fairness to them, it was not designed very well. The junctions with lights that were close to one another were not in sync either.

I drove for over 10 years in Galway. I also walked a lot when working in and around the city. Seeing as though the weather is terrible for most of the year, I'd be inclined to give pedistrians the right of way! It's a lot more dry and warmer in my car

I hope this is "on topic".

Gardai happy with traffic management for the match

Gardai said yesterday that they were "very satisfied" with their traffic management plan for the Galway/Mayo match on Sunday in Pearse stadium.

"With a crowd like that there has to be some congestion especially given the volume of cars that went through the city but we received good cooperation from drivers and no car had to be removed for causing an obstruction," said a Garda spokesman.

Source: Connacht Sentinel, May 21, page 6.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gardai said yesterday that they were "very satisfied" with their traffic management plan for the Galway/Mayo match on Sunday in Pearse stadium.

"With a crowd like that there has to be some congestion especially given the volume of cars that went through the city but we received good cooperation from drivers and no car had to be WAS removed for causing an obstruction," said a Garda spokesman.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"With a crowd like that there has to be some congestion especially given the volume of cars that went through the city but we received good cooperation from drivers and no car had to be removed for causing an obstruction," said a Garda spokesman.

LOL
    There were cars causing obstructions all over Salthill yesterday. So much for "Vehicles illegally parked will be towed away"

snubbleste wrote: »
    LOL
    There were cars causing obstructions all over Salthill yesterday. So much for "Vehicles illegally parked will be towed away"

Define "obstruction" in this context. Hint: see post #150.

On the credit side (despite the headline):

New Park & Ride at the airport not being used -- Sunday’s special service an exception
    Galway Chamber of Commerce – the majority stakeholder in Galway Airport – has said that uptake for the new Park & Ride service has “not been as anticipated”.

Michael Coyle, CEO of Galway Chamber, and Chairman of the airport said yesterday (Monday) that the scheme is experimental and in its early stages and admitted “numbers were low”.

However, the special service on Sunday for the football match in Pearse Stadium saw maximum occupancy, with all 626 spaces filled and between 900 and 1,000 passengers on the shuttle buses.

He said the first 300 supporters were back at the Airport by 6pm, and the GAA said they will use the service again in the future.

Mr Coyle said he was delighted with the success of the match service, and said it would be looked at again for events such as the Arts Festival, concerts and for Connacht Rugby.

• Advertisement

Well this is an obstruction on Kingston Rd on Sunday..there is more than one. Bigger image for clarity
    IMG_3039.jpg

Nice one! :D

What do you suppose those two Garda officers were doing? Genuine non-rhetorical question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

AGS Salthill Traffic Corps:

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nice one! :D

What do you suppose those two Garda officers were doing? Genuine non-rhetorical question.

The one on the right was just happy they got rid of the height rule and clearly the u-12 rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 QuantumAoif

The parking exclusion zone and barriers worked only for those of us residents in the blocked off area. However, it only pushed out parking issues to other estates and areas in Galway like Fort Lorenzo, Kingston.

I also found it highly suspicious that finally a plan for parking has been put in place, years after it was required a few days before the Galway planning office is to make its decision on the floodlights for pearse. Typical!

If the planning is granted are we supposed to believe that these parking management plans will remain. Hmm I doubt that, going by the great GAAs consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

The parking exclusion zone and barriers worked only for those of us residents in the blocked off area. However, it only pushed out parking issues to other estates and areas in Galway like Fort Lorenzo, Kingston.

I also found it highly suspicious that finally a plan for parking has been put in place, years after it was required a few days before the Galway planning office is to make its decision on the floodlights for pearse. Typical!

If the planning is granted are we supposed to believe that these parking management plans will remain. Hmm I doubt that, going by the great GAAs consistency.

Reading between the lines the gaa are going to build a nuclear power plant at pearse stadium and slip it into the planning office at the last minute, its pretty obvious what's going on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Reading between the lines the gaa are going to build a nuclear power plant at pearse stadium and slip it into the planning office at the last minute, its pretty obvious what's going on!
    Nothing like a bit of ridiculous hyperbole to make 100% certain any point you thought you might have had gets immediately flushed down the toilet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Because threads about a heap of bullsh1t hyperbole don't tend to have much legs?
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of ridiculous hyperbole to make 100% certain any point you thought you might have had gets immediately flushed down the toilet.

So your going to continue on with the same "hyperbole" and not actually make a valid point? With 2 warnings and infractions already on the thread its probably best to make a point and not just pick up where you left off.

In fairness to the lad he was making a joke, no need to jump on him for it.

That pic of the 2 guards is gas, where were they when people were parking there?
    Did anyone confirm that them white slips were fines?

yop wrote: »
    In fairness to the lad he was making a joke, no need to jump on him for it.

That pic of the 2 guards is gas, where were they when people were parking there?

Did anyone confirm that them white slips were fines?

I don't want to put words in Dan_Solo's mouth, so speaking for myself I will say that in real life these issues are far from trivial. As someone who often engages with the statutory authorities on matters relating to pedestrian/disabled access and safety, I can confirm that it is often an extremely frustrating and disheartening business. For that reason it is not easy to tolerate flippancy when these legitimate concerns are raised on Boards. Mea maxima culpa in that regard, perhaps, so suitably abject apologies to the Mods on that score. :o

With regard to the actions of AGS when the cars were actually being parked on Kingston Road (in defiance of prior warnings) the answer is that I simply don't know. My experience of other events has been that illegal parking on footpaths routinely occurs in broad daylight under the insouciant gaze of Garda officers. I have asked AGS repeatedly why this might be the case and I have yet to get even a vaguely satisfactory explanation.

With regard to the bits of paper bearing the words Garda Fixed Penalty Notice, I have been unable to find out whether they have any real meaning in life. A few years ago when AGS did a parking 'ticket' blitz around Pearse Stadium the outrage was pretty much instant. Not a whisper so far on this occasion, so are the illegal parkers just taking it quietly on the chin or did they get away with it again? Quotes attributed to AGS in the Sentinel declared that no cars "had to be towed" for causing an obstruction, which suggests that the blatant abuse of footpaths on Kingston Road did not fall into that category. Unfortunately, it may not be possible to find out what the bits of paper were. In the past when I enquired whether fines were issued for abuse of pedestrian and disabled faciities during public events AGS simply refused to supply such information.

No, just floodlights for winter evening matches still with no consistent parking management plans in place. Can't wait to see how supporters park at nighttime if this is how they park during the day.

• Advertisement

I don't want to put words in Dan_Solo's mouth, so speaking for myself I will say that in real life these issues are far from trivial. As someone who often engages with the statutory authorities on matters relating to pedestrian/disabled access and safety, I can confirm that it is often an extremely frustrating and disheartening business. For that reason it is not easy to tolerate flippancy when these legitimate concerns are raised on Boards. Mea maxima culpa in that regard, perhaps, so suitably abject apologies to the Mods on that score. :o

With regard to the actions of AGS when the cars were actually being parked on Kingston Road (in defiance of prior warnings) the answer is that I simply don't know. My experience of other events has been that illegal parking on footpaths routinely occurs in broad daylight under the insouciant gaze of Garda officers. I have asked AGS repeatedly why this might be the case and I have yet to get even a vaguely satisfactory explanation.

With regard to the bits of paper bearing the words Garda Fixed Penalty Notice, I have been unable to find out whether they have any real meaning in life. A few years ago when AGS did a parking 'ticket' blitz around Pearse Stadium the outrage was pretty much instant. Not a whisper so far on this occasion, so are the illegal parkers just taking it quietly on the chin or did they get away with it again? Quotes attributed to AGS in the Sentinel declared that no cars "had to be towed" for causing an obstruction, which suggests that the blatant abuse of footpaths on Kingston Road did not fall into that category. Unfortunately, it may not be possible to find out what the bits of paper were. In the past when I enquired whether fines were issued for abuse of pedestrian and disabled faciities during public events AGS simply refused to supply such information.

Data protection etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Data protection etc!

:D Boards.ie should just ring Shatter

Data protection etc!
    Operational reasons :cool:

churchview wrote: »
    :D Boards.ie should just ring Shatter

If its in the public interest he might tell you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

snubbleste wrote: »
    Operational reasons :cool:

Or should that be "system failure"? :cool:

Or should that be "system failure"? :cool:

No it's all down to gardai giving sweets to school kids and making them fat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

yop wrote: »
    So your going to continue on with the same "hyperbole" and not actually make a valid point? With 2 warnings and infractions already on the thread its probably best to make a point and not just pick up where you left off.
    If it's hyperbole (nuclear reactors?) well excuse me for calling a spade a spade.
    None of those warnings or infractions were given to me anyways mate, so you'd want to come back with something a bit more relevant than "somebody got a warning once somewhere so you deserve one too".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Warning issued.

We don't want anyone to feel left out. :pac:

Any more off topic chat will be met with more warning/infractions.

This is actually beyond annoying coming from a "keeper of the peace" in the area.

• Advertisement

This is actually beyond annoying coming from a "keeper of the peace" in the area.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/pearse-plans-hit-skids-as-gardai-to-probe-forged-signature-26624329.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement