Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

This is actually beyond annoying coming from a "keeper of the peace" in the area.

Ya poor thing! You'll get over it eventually!

Mod note: user banned

Its a disgrace really if they aren't allowed to put up the floodlights, imagine the county's top stadium and we can even play a game of a dark evening. There wouldn't be massive crowds going either and it would be in the evening so I don't see parking as an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Its a disgrace really if they aren't allowed to put up the floodlights, imagine the county's top stadium and we can even play a game of a dark evening. There wouldn't be massive crowds going either and it would be in the evening so I don't see parking as an issue at all.

Why would it be a disgrace? The bald fact is that the GAA don't seem to respect another plain fact, that Pearse Stadium is in the middle of a residential area. So we have two key stakeholder concerns & expectations to manage. It's very hard to manage those when one of those stakeholders flexes its social and political muscle to get what it wants without due regard or respect for the other key stakeholder. At the end of the day it'll have to come down to mutual respect & cooperation, just like Seasme Street said!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

jkforde wrote: »
    Why would it be a disgrace? The bald fact is that the GAA don't seem to respect another plain fact, that Pearse Stadium is in the middle of a residential area. So we have two key stakeholder concerns & expectations to manage.

The residential area argument is irrelevant wrt floodlights. Only looking at medium-large capacity (10k or above) in towns/cities that I've been to Parnell Park, Lansdowne Rd & Croke Park In Dublin, Thomond Park in Limerick (can't remember if the Gaelic grounds has them), Casement Park in Belfast all have floodlit pitches in residential areas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This thread is getting real close to being locked.
    I've issued further infractions as there have been several mod warnings to get this discussion back to what it was originally about but the same posters keep dragging it away from that.

• Advertisement

Are the floodlights not being discussed as some people see them as a parking issue? Is the thread limited to discussion about the match sunday or can general parking around the stadium be discussed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Title says
    GAA Pearse Stadium parking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    Title says
    GAA Pearse Stadium parking

So for clarification can we can take that as being issues related to parking around Pearse Stadium and not just those for last Sunday's match?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

OK, I'm out. Seems impossible to interpret what will be considered on or off topic here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Monroe Lively Motor, antoobrien, jkforde, I was completely wrong to have given you infractions, for that I am truly sorry. I have requested that those infractions be removed as soon as possible, I made a mistake, it was my bad and I am sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway City Tribune todays edition (24-05-2013) state that over 100+ motorists where fined for parking offences during the match. Mentioned fines issued to Motorists for parking on the Footpaths/Cycle Lanes along Western Distributor Road and Boshop O Donneell Road.

So no cars were towed despite An Garda stating in advance that illegally parked cars will be towed ..only footpath hugging vehicles on Bishop O'Donnell and WDR were ticketed. The rest must have been willfully ignored by the numerous Garda that saw them.
    Sentinel 210513 http://i.imgur.com/Hx2k8zQ.jpg
    Tribune 240513 http://i.imgur.com/Lbfwv4m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

0007618c-960.jpg

Déjà Vu 25 months later

Illegally-parked cars will be towed during big match
    No parking will be allowed at Kingston Road, Taylor’s Hill, Rosary Lane, Oaklands/Devon Gardens, Dr Mannix Road, Glenard, Dalton, Dalysfort Road, Rockbarton Road and Ard Na Mara.

Anyone coming from the Headford road side go in Menlo and go back left and the black box and over the bridge. We got back reasonably ok this way and are already parked back around highfield park. Traffic is supposed to be mental going into town straight backed up to ballindooley castle nearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Déjà Vu 25 months later

No parking will be allowed at Kingston Road, Taylor’s Hill, Rosary Lane, Oaklands/Devon Gardens, Dr Mannix Road, Glenard, Dalton, Dalysfort Road, Rockbarton Road and Ard Na Mara.

Scores and scores of cars parked illegally on Maunsells Road and Taylor's Hill today and nothing done about it. I could barely get into where I live as some muck savage had almost completely blocked the entrance. I'm sick of these bog monsters abandoning their diesel mobiles wherever every time they come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Scores and scores of cars parked illegally on Maunsells Road and Taylor's Hill today and nothing done about it. I could barely get into where I live as some muck savage had almost completely blocked the entrance. I'm sick of these bog monsters abandoning their diesel mobiles wherever every time they come here.

Have you considered spikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Have you considered spikes?

I'm waiting on a quote for a portcullis!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm waiting on a quote for a portcullis!

Move your own car the night before to the Cathedral or some other spot with free parking on a Sunday and then charge somebody to park at your place. Simples.

Charge per axel like Homer Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Déjà Vu 25 months later

So all the illegally parked cars ended up on the SQR and Fort Lorenzo and the like.

• Advertisement

Yeah there were hundreds of cars illegally parked, by my estimation, all over the shop. The 402 bus got stuck at Maunsells for a while because of the incredible stupid parking and traffic coming the other direction.

I'll be shocked if any motorists got towed, never mind got a ticket.
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=15370

If you key an illegally parked car, is it likely the driver will go to the Gardaí? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I hope you're not making county distinctions wrt illegal/obnoxious parkers. :)

Numerous G and MO reg cars, along with scores of others, parked in the usual uncontrolled free-for-all, with no visible enforcement taking place. Not while I was passing through the area anyway.

I saw a grand total of two Gardai on traffic duty, each assigned to a specific junction in the general area. A few Garda vehicles passed by as I went on my way.

Guess where most of the Gardai and their vehicles were concentrated...

Yeah there were hundreds of cars illegally parked, by my estimation, all over the shop. The 402 bus got stuck at Maunsells for a while because of the incredible stupid parking and traffic coming the other direction.

I'll be shocked if any motorists got towed, never mind got a ticket.
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=15370

I heard of three cars being towed, for obstructing traffic on Taylor's Hill. As we know only too well by now, obstructing pedestrians, cyclists and public transport counts for nothing.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    If you key an illegally parked car, is it likely the driver will go to the Gardaí? :)

Keying a car is a disgusting act. Id have no problem going to the guards if Id a culprit, well that's if I hadn't beaten the living s*it out of them. Problem is its a waste of time going to the guards if you can't identify the criminal.

Keying a car is a disgusting act. Id have no problem going to the guards if Id a culprit, well that's if I hadn't beaten the living s*it out of them. Problem is its a waste of time going to the guards if you can't identify the criminal.
    "Disgusting"? It's paint on a car. No orphan dolphins are slaughtered when a bit is scraped off.
    Now, when you get to court, how do you explain where your car was parked when it got keyed? And it's €160 to get your car back if towed. A bit of a paint job would actually be cheaper than the fine you should be getting for illegal parking.

There was supposed to be a traffic and parking management plan in place. If there was such a "plan", then it was utterly (and predictably) useless.

I thought it would be safe enough to come through Salthill. Twenty minutes to travel a couple of km. No Gardai on traffic duty, although a TC Garda on a motorbike did pass by, to no obvious purpose.

352035.jpg

https://twitter.com/paulgaillimh

Sheer madness, and total incompetence on the part of those in charge (assuming there was someone in charge).

I saw a few supporters being released by a clamper in a private parking area. One lot were in Galway jerseys -- they did not look happy.

its a waste of time going to the guards

True. I wonder whether the Gardai 'on duty' inside the stadium were being paid overtime to work on a Sunday? Or is that not the way it's done any more, what with the new rostering system in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There is still a massive backlog on Kingston Road! Crazy!

We left just after the match. We were parked in highfield park and we got back out and down the Headford road without any massive hold up.

Same going in (from well outside the city) we were parked and drinking a pint inside 50 mins from leaving the house.
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    "Disgusting"? It's paint on a car. No orphan dolphins are slaughtered when a bit is scraped off.
    Now, when you get to court, how do you explain where your car was parked when it got keyed? And it's €160 to get your car back if towed. A bit of a paint job would actually be cheaper than the fine you should be getting for illegal parking.

Th court won't give a damn about the parking, keying a car is criminal damage and that's the only concern they will have.

As a person who has had my car keyed and keyed badly I have a very very dim view of anyone who does it or thinks it's ok.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    True. I wonder whether the Gardai 'on duty' inside the stadium were being paid overtime to work on a Sunday? Or is that not the way it's done any more, what with the new rostering system in place?

Waste of time because there is absolutely nothing they could do, how can you find some random scumbag who keyed a car.

• Advertisement

Th court won't give a damn about the parking, keying a car is criminal damage and that's the only concern they will have.

As a person who has had my car keyed and keyed badly I have a very very dim view of anyone who does it or thinks it's ok.
    I have an equally dim view of scumbag drivers who think they can annoy the hole of whoever they like because they're too lazy to park legally.
    If someone keyed a car because it was illegally parked, for example blocking their drive, it sure as hell would come up in court. But as you say, they'd never be caught anyway. Terrible that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement