Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pearse Stadium parking - read mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

So its selfish to park your car but keying a car acceptable?

Jaysus Galway has some grear characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I have an equally dim view of scumbag drivers who think they can annoy the hole of whoever they like because they're too lazy to park legally.
    If someone keyed a car because it was illegally parked, for example blocking their drive, it sure as hell would come up in court. But as you say, they'd never be caught anyway. Terrible that.

Plenty of cars parked illegally on Kingston Road today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

So its selfish to park your car but keying a car acceptable?

Jaysus Galway has some grear characters.
    So it's selfish to key a car but dumping your car so pedestrians have nowhere to go and homeowners can't get out of their drive is acceptable?
    Jaysus, GAA fan drivers are great characters.
    You missed the bit about the paint being cheaper than the fine you SHOULD BE GETTING?

I have an equally dim view of scumbag drivers who think they can annoy the hole of whoever they like because they're too lazy to park legally.
    If someone keyed a car because it was illegally parked, for example blocking their drive, it sure as hell would come up in court. But as you say, they'd never be caught anyway. Terrible that.

It wouldn't come to court as the person who did the keying would have no choice but to pay for the damage they did.

Also the chances of getting caught are slim but there is always a chance.... Hopefully the keyer it's the guards that find them and not the car owner.

It wouldn't come to court as the person who did the keying would have no choice but to pay for the damage they did.

Also the chances of getting caught are slim but there is always a chance.... Hopefully the keyer it's the guards that find them and not the car owner.
    What makes you think "car owner" automatically beats "car keyer" in a fist fight? As a demographic my money would be slightly on the keyer TBH.
    And yes, criminal damage cases do regularly go to court. Where the illegal parking would come up. €160 fine I believe. Probably more than the fine for the keying... :)

• Advertisement

S
    You missed the bit about the paint being cheaper than the fine you SHOULD BE GETTING?

The fine for illegal parking is 40 euro. You are looking at 200 euro minimum to respray a body panel could be more if the mark extends to more than one panel.

Comparing a few pedestrians having to walk around a car to criminal damage is laughable.
    What makes you think "car owner" automatically beats "car keyer" in a fist fight? As a demographic my money would be slightly on the keyer TBH.
    And yes, criminal damage cases do regularly go to court. Where the illegal parking would come up.

And the court won't care about the parking that I can guarantee you the criminal damage will far far outweigh a meaningless offence like illegal parking.

Also if you key a car during a football match it may be a lot more than one person arriving back to the car....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Should be fairly cut and dry but parking illegally isn't just a matter of inconveniencing somebody for a few hours. Christ knows what could happen in that time and if they can't leave their house because you aren't empathetic enough to find a proper spot that's on you. I say that as somebody who parks at Joyces and walks the 15 minutes each way when going to games. Don't know why keying a car fits into this bar a poster's personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

And the court won't care about the parking that I can guarantee you the criminal damage will far far outweigh a meaningless offence like illegal parking.

The court can take care of both, though. Why wouldn't they fine the car owner for parking illegally and the guy for keying the car

Although, You'd imagine the person keying the car would get away with it because how could they prove it was that person that did it. It's not like he'd hand in CCTV of him doing it. Probably smart enough to do it when chances of getting caught by a passerby is low.

I wouldn't key a car if it was blocking me in. I lived down by Fr. Griffin Road..it was ****e, alright. If something happened urgently and I needed to get out, that's when I'd do something about it. The car would be moved one way or the other.

It is pig ignorant to park and block a resident in. It shouldn't be tolerated. The person who parks like that deserves to be penalized. Can the renter or home owner call the Gardai to get the person fined? Might be the best way to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

T
    Also if you key a car during a football match it may be a lot more than one person arriving back to the car....

So then you get done for parking illegally and assaulting a person. Criminal record, go straight to jail..never to Australia, Canada or the US shall you go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Comparing a few pedestrians having to walk around a car to criminal damage is laughable.

This demonstrates why illegal parkers should be hit hard by fines.

Absolutely terrible attitude to the law.

It translates very quickly to shure'n the boss won't miss a bit of stock, the bank has too much money anyways, the guy's a pri*k who deserved to be hit, etc.

• Advertisement

I'm not in anyway condoning blocking someone's drive way. It's stupid, ignorant and Id never do it. Parking on footpaths etc doesn't bother me too much and Id do it on occasion but try to avoid it if there is an alternative (if for nothing else it's bad for my wheels driving up on footpaths).

However keying a car is a vile offence worse than any parking offence which is the point I'm trying to make rather than promote blocking driveways. It's also a criminal offence which illegal parking is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Rampant illegal parking on all routes advertised as being tow zones today. Almost zero enforcement as is the norm. Most disgusting of all was that almost every disabled parking spot on Rockbarton and salthill were taken up by scumbags of the highest order who had no permits and health of the highest order no doubt. Absolutely disgusting behaviour and a symptom of a growing ignorance in Galway whereupon I estimate through regularly observation that at least 50% of disabled spaces seem to be taken up by healthy people with no permits who like the convenience of parking close to their destination without any consideration for those who are actually disabled.

GAA games only exacerbate and highlight a problem in Galway society that the majority are just selfish d1cks who only care about their own parking convenience, gates, doors Clearways, double yellow, permit zones, etc be damned

However keying a car is a vile offence worse than any parking offence. It's also a criminal offence which illegal parking is not.
    I actually disagree. I think parking in a disabled spot illegally is an incredibly vile thing to do and I would have no sympathy for anyone keyed for such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

So it's selfish to key a car but dumping your car so pedestrians have nowhere to go and homeowners can't get out of their drive is acceptable?
    Jaysus, GAA fan drivers are great characters.
    Where did I say I'm a GAA driver. I dont even drive. I'm one of these rare creatures called a capable functioning pedestrian. When I see a roadsign or car or other things perhaps obstructing the footpath I have an amazing ability to go AROUND the object. And before ye say it I also have the brains to make sure I wont get hit by a car as I may have to be on the road for all of 5 seconds. I know this is an unusual occurence as some of the galwegian boardsies totally loose their **** if they cannot continue in a dead straight line. I can simply navigate around these minor obstacles without the compelling need to cause criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

able bodied people parking in disabled spaces deserve the worst things to happen to them.

Car should be towed, crushed then send bill for disposal with no re course to claim money back of insurance.
    those parking on double yellow deserve just as much but not to that extreme.
    rules are they for every driver and not the select few.

traffic in galway ( especially inner city) would be small bit better if driver obeyed the rules.
    stopping for 5 minutes is no excuse. you will still block obstruct and hinder other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They were saying there were around 20 thousand at the match yesterday and according to RTE sport this morning getting in and out of Salthill was a nightmare, how come when the Air Show was on which attracted 100,000 people the was never any real traffic problems like yesterday

However keying a car is a vile offence worse than any parking offence which is the point I'm trying to make rather than promote blocking driveways. It's also a criminal offence which illegal parking is not.

Abusing a kid is a vile offence.

Keying a car is minor vandalism.

Worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They were saying there were around 20 thousand at the match yesterday and according to RTE sport this morning getting in and out of Salthill was a nightmare, how come when the Air Show was on which attracted 100,000 people the was never any real traffic problems like yesterday

It's was also the designated weekend for parents to visit children in the Gaeltacht so that would have caused traffic. Too many people using the Taylors hill junction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

It looked like a lot more than 20000 at the game would have thought more like 25k to me?
    Traffic chaos alright, more park and ride and buses the next time is the answer, need to use racecourse etc. no room for all the cars. lovely day out for walking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

zarquon wrote: »
    1. Rampant illegal parking on all routes advertised as being tow zones today. Almost zero enforcement as is the norm.

2. Most disgusting of all was that almost every disabled parking spot on Rockbarton and salthill were taken up by scumbags of the highest order who had no permits and health of the highest order no doubt. Absolutely disgusting behaviour and a symptom of a growing ignorance in Galway whereupon I estimate through regularly observation that at least 50% of disabled spaces seem to be taken up by healthy people with no permits who like the convenience of parking close to their destination without any consideration for those who are actually disabled.

3. GAA games only exacerbate and highlight a problem in Galway society that the majority are just selfish d1cks who only care about their own parking convenience, gates, doors Clearways, double yellow, permit zones, etc be damned

1. Absolutely normal behaviour in Ireland. Motorists travelled to the match with the expectation that they could drive and park as close to the stadium as possible. AGS gave lip service to parking control in advance of the match (warnings that cars would be towed etc) and then failed spectacularly, and predictably, to deal with the vast majority of illegal parking. As I passed through the general vicinity yesterday before the match, I saw a grand total of two Gardai on duty, one on Taylors Hill, the other on Threadneedle. There were very few Garda vehicles out and about, and no Command & Control Unit visible outside the stadium. In contrast, I was able to see six Gardai standing inside the stadium, as well as two Garda vehicles. What do you suppose the Traffic Corps members were doing in there?

2. This is an issue I'm personally very touchy about, so I checked the cars parked in some disabled spaces close to the stadium. All had 'blue badges', though I can't say all of them were valid. There may have been abuse of disabled spaces elsewhere, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

3. This entirely predictable travesty (I knew it would happen anyway) highlights a number of familiar Irish issues:

• Extreme car addiction
    • Mé Féin über alles
    • Incompetent authorities
    • Institutional inability to plan anything
    • Nobody actually in charge
    • Total lack of accountability

That list could be longer I'm sure.

Where did I say I'm a GAA driver. I dont even drive. I'm one of these rare creatures called a capable functioning pedestrian. When I see a roadsign or car or other things perhaps obstructing the footpath I have an amazing ability to go AROUND the object. And before ye say it I also have the brains to make sure I wont get hit by a car as I may have to be on the road for all of 5 seconds. I know this is an unusual occurence as some of the galwegian boardsies totally loose their **** if they cannot continue in a dead straight line. I can simply navigate around these minor obstacles...

A similar mindset, and lack of awareness and insight, seems to be endemic in the City Council, Garda Siochana, GAA etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Abusing a kid is a vile offence.

Keying a car is minor vandalism.

Worlds apart.

Being honest that depends on the make of the car and the behaviour of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A similar mindset, and lack of awareness and insight, seems to be endemic in the City Council, Garda Siochana, GAA etc.

I just had a walk around the stadium today and things are fine!

Being honest that depends on the make of the car and the behaviour of the child.
    For serious? It's OK to abuse children if they behave badly?
    I guess if you think minor cosmetic damage to a car is "vile" or "disgusting" it's hard to know if you're being sarcastic, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

From all accounts the ladies toilets in Pearse Stadium were an absolute disgrace. There was no running water. The ones up towards Aras Bothar na Tra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

For serious? It's OK to abuse children if they behave badly?
    I guess if you think minor cosmetic damage to a car is "vile" or "disgusting" it's hard to know if you're being sarcastic, isn't it?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour.
    As I said if you have a nice car keyed by a young un, you would have to hand out a thrashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Possibly when people driving in spotted the one way system on Lough Atalia Rd / College Rd, they may have opted to use Bishop O'Donnel / Seamus Quirke / Quincentenary Bridge instead.
    At 8:30 I had to drive into town via Salthill. Traffic was backed up all the way the the end of Threadneedle Rd (near the diving board). Father Griffen Rd and the Claddagh rds were quiet.

Being honest, no it doesn't.

:eek:

But congratulations. I didn't think it was possible for my opinion of GAA fans to fall any further. You've just proven to me that it could.

crusier wrote: »
    I just had a walk around the stadium today and things are fine!

Any AGS members still in there?

352090.jpg

352091.jpg

dilallio wrote: »
    Possibly when people driving in spotted the one way system on Lough Atalia Rd / College Rd, they may have opted to use Bishop O'Donnel / Seamus Quirke / Quincentenary Bridge instead.
    At 8:30 I had to drive into town via Salthill. Traffic was backed up all the way the the end of Threadneedle Rd (near the diving board). Father Griffen Rd and the Claddagh rds were quiet.

There was streams of cars coming in from Barna at around 7-8 for whatever reason.
    So the road into Salthill and up to Threadneedle going towards Westside were backed up.

Just an unfortunate coincidence added onto the ending match crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

There was streams of cars coming in from Barna at around 7-8 for whatever reason.
    So the road into Salthill and up to Threadneedle going towards Westside were backed up.

Just an unfortunate coincidence added onto the ending match crowd.

Parents returning from the Irish Colleges back west, this type of congestion occurs on a couple of sundays during the summer every year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement